Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oakenfold is a joke !!

Guest blckraven

Guest blckraven

Any decent trance lover would tell he is a joke !! I can't beleive people still go see him. Was I the only one falling asleep at Roxy last time ? I know what most of you are thinking ? who the hell Am I ? well I have been listenig to Trance as far back as 1986 That gives me a right to form an Opinion on him ! he is just !@@#$@$ overated ! way too mainstream for me. Sadly the same is happening to sasha. but at least sasha can Mix ! I have so many Oaky live set beleive me when I tell you BORING !! in no way shape or form uplifting ! If it does not make me want to get up and dance ..it has to go ! So please stop thinking that he is # 1. yeah Number 1 to the public who is by no mean hardcore !

------------------

Of course he is mainstream...that's why he is the number one DJ in the world. To be #1 you have to have as many people liking you so he has to play what everyone likes. He's not a bad DJ, you just like other shit...that's all.

~NaNa

------------------

Of course I agree with you TOTALLY!! I saw Oakie at Roxy and I promised myself that I will never spend money on him again! What a flop!!

Definately can't not get into what he's spinning at ALL!

BlueAngel

------------------

Music is the language of souls . . .

Haven't heard Oakie play live but some of his live sets are pretty good (at least in my opinion) I also like his Tranceport CD....other then that I think that PVD is the best Trance DJ in the world...

------------------

That's what I said about him the 1st time he was at Roxy and was met with disbelief and opposition here. I'm glad someone else sees it my way for a change. BTW, I've been into Dance music since about 1977 so I also think I have a pretty good perspective on the subject. Also, what Trance was around in '86? House wasn't even off the ground in those days and the Euro people were into "New Wave". Trance only developed after American Techno made it big in Europe where the Germans made a variation called Epic House that one day was to be known as Trance. DJ's like Oakenfold and Sahsa just popularized that style because they have such good marketing strategies (minus real ground breaking talent).

Another over rated DJ that comes to mind is PVD.

Peace

[This message has been edited by Nestor (edited 05-23-2000).]

What about the acid house type stuff that oakey brought back to the UK? The goa influence? Nestor, I know you are all on the americans did it first so we're better kick, but music isn't quite like that.

The japanese build better cars, but they were invented in the US.

Tribal house has its roots in native tribal drums. Hell, all music does. Should some tribes coem forth and bitch that everything else is just a copy?

On an educational note, can you direct me to some of the early house works produced with a 303? Especially some american stuff. No mocking here, I'm curious.

------------------

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Though Oakey is no PVD he was not a flop. I must say he sucked for the first hour, but he ended strong borderline amazing. I know I didn't want to stop dancing when he stopped spinning. Thank God PVD was spinning that night at TWILO. I think PVD is incredible!!! But that is only my opinion.

------------------

I must say, he may not be one of the best djs in the world (i personally have much love for dave clarke, PVD, carl cox, bukem, fatboy, etc) but his essential mixes on radio1 happen to be some of the best mixing ive heard, and like the majority of you, ive been around a while. I have seen oakenfold at Home, and in NYC, and although I was not 100% impressed, i still had an amazing time.

peace

-oz

------------------

Guest blckraven

I must remind all that music is taste. I'm not saying that Paul Oakenfold is not talented, of course he is. I just don't like the material that has been spinning as of late. As far as trance in 1986 I meant I've been listening to the early days of electronic music. ie: kraftwerk one of the founders of electronic music. I'm a child of the 80's I love anything electronic sounding at the time ( video games come to mind ) I thank Oaky for making this genre popular along with sasha too. Not too long ago I remember when I first saw sasha live over 2 years ago . it was like a dream to me. I really am clueless as to why he is spinning the crap that he has been spinning lately. One other Dj to watch out for is Guy Ornadel and Matt hardwick these 2 are on fire. really some some kick ass tracks. As I said before it is only my 2 cents. I love this form of music with a passion, anyone who knows me or has seen me dance understands what I mean. not many Djs give me chills when they drop an awesome track .. the type of track that makes you want to thank god that you were born. I can't wait till PVD comes back. I'm going to Twilo this Friday, this will probably be my last sasha there after seeing him over 25 times, maybe I'm tired of that party or just tired of his sound whatever the case maybe he better drop some serious trance. None of this dark crap !!

------------------