Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN. to the "I may catch shit ...thread"

sf97

Sad to say but

A DJ is only as good as his/her last set.

This is not opinion, it is fact.

Sure you're gonna give him/her another chance, but that last set is in your mind, and if the next one sucks too, your opinion of that dj will drop greatly, BUT, if he/she blows it up the next time you hear them then they are once again your favorite dj.

Now don't anyone get all bent out of shape because I know this rule doesn't apply for every single person, some of you will go down in a blaze of glory for your favorite DJ, but as far as most people go, that is how it works.

it's not WHAT you know

it's not WHO you know either

It's WHO KNOWS YOU!

We are young but for a short period of time,

Learn and save as if to last forever,

Live and love as if to die tomorrow!

[This message has been edited by sf97 (edited 09-05-2000).]

Originally posted by sf97:

Sad to say but

A DJ is only as good as his/her last set.

This is not opinion, it is fact.

Sure you're gonna give him/her another chance, but that last set is in your mind, and if the next one sucks too, your opinion of that dj will drop greatly, BUT, if he/she blows it up the next time you hear them then they are once again your favorite dj.

Now don't anyone get all bent out of shape because I know this rule doesn't apply for every single person, some of you will go down in a blaze of glory for your favorite DJ, but as far as most people go, that is how it works.

It's WHO KNOWS YOU!

My post has nothing to do w/MY favrtie DJ,its about the WAY people on this board critique..as if they have,music or industry knowlege by virtue of the fact they GO to clubs. If a DJ sucks so be it..It doesnt manke people "qualified" to comment,unless you can do better yooou sholud say you dont like it and move on NOT compose track listing for the DJ w/suggestions of a MUSICAL or Business nature

to

don't get me wrong, I understand your point, BUT as much as you or anyone else might not like it, it is your average clubbers opinion that matters. They don't need to know how to read a crowd because they are the crowd, and they certainly don't need to know how to spin because that's what the dj is there for in the first place, and if the crowd (the ones who may not have anywhere near the amount of musical ability as the dj, and think that it's so easy to read a crowd {it's a lot diff. when you are in the booth then when you are on the floor}) is not feeling what he is playing then he is just not cuttin it, no matter how good he may or may not be.

------------------

it's not WHAT you know,

it's not WHO you know either

It's WHO KNOWS YOU!

Ah, the wrench is hte fact that there are shitty crowds.

Somehow, I think that anything carl cox plays will go over the head of anyone expecting/demanding hip hop and/or britney/nsync/etc songs. A shitty crowd is one where they go cuz it is the "cool" thing to do and think the music should be on their level as well. The djs only chance to truly fail is if he knew what kind of crwod came there already.

Originally posted by voice:

My post has nothing to do w/MY favrtie DJ,its about the WAY people on this board critique..as if they have,music or industry knowlege by virtue of the fact they GO to clubs. If a DJ sucks so be it..It doesnt manke people "qualified" to comment,unless you can do better yooou sholud say you dont like it and move on NOT compose track listing for the DJ w/suggestions of a MUSICAL or Business nature

to

Don't come around with that High and mighty "industry" attitude. Your no more important than anyone eles on this board when it comes to music, just ask your friend Danny (whos name i've seen you drop before, SOOO IMPRESSED lol), it belongs to all of us.

IT'S A FEELING NOT AN INDUSTRY, YOU WANT INDUSTRY GO CALL N'SYNC

I dont mean to be rude Voice, but you come across as quite pretentious regarding your "industry" status, and I hate to break it to you honey, we aint too impressed.

Voice, if you're trying to say "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything" . . . that just isn't the way the world works, doll. That leads to mediocrity in what is put out since - hey, you had the chance to say you didn't like it, so now you suffer. Without people, sometimes UNQUALIFIED people stating opinions, who the hell knows, we might still be living 18th century style. I might not be able to build better electronics in my basement, but I can say a sound system really sucks. I might not be able to build a better car, but I can say a '63 Valiant is a piece of shit. And I may not be a god on the decks, but I can say I don't like what the guy up there was putting out to the crowd. Deal with the fact that we all have opinions and all express them in our own way, or go hide your head in the sand. Your choice.

------------------

Don't knock masturbation - its sex with someone I love.

Woody Allen

at least you guys agree. read the other posts that i had and tell me that i wasnt saying the same thing,, sf97 i couldnt agree with you more. its the average clubgoers opinion that matters. not the big time people

------------------

i only speak the truth

peace

Originally posted by whitneyrmxr:

Don't come around with that High and mighty "industry" attitude. Your no more important than anyone eles on this board when it comes to music, just ask your friend Danny (whos name i've seen you drop before, SOOO IMPRESSED lol), it belongs to all of us.

IT'S A FEELING NOT AN INDUSTRY, YOU WANT INDUSTRY GO CALL N'SYNC

I dont mean to be rude Voice, but you come across as quite pretentious regarding your "industry" status, and I hate to break it to you honey, we aint too impressed.

The only reason I am replying to this at all ...NOW ..has NOthing to do w/my Original post. I find it amusing that your calling me "out" as an industry individual,when I posted anonymously and made NO repeat NO reference to my KNOWING MORE or DESERVING MORE than ANYONE regardless of what profession they are in!!! I made a comment that I stand by..people on this board are rude and Disrespectful,to each other and especially to those who work hard to insure them of having a GOOD time at clubs. Whether or not YOU are impressed by me sir, is irrealevant,regardless of who you remix..HeHe. As far as Danny is concerned I drop his name (as you call it ) w/respect and kindness I fail to see ANY disagreement w/ that.In closing the music I make is MINE>>> I write it and take PRIDE in the records I create, as an ARTIST my obligation is to be true to MYSELF and HOPE others like it too..I can only BE MYSELF,I cant change my abilities and no amt. of drum rolls or builds will I employ to "get a room to rock",I am who I am those who like it (and they DO exsist) haha,I would hope will follow me on my journey to become a better artist.I am not afraid of what my career will bring,I am Honest respectful and real,Im about the FEELING, you call it, Everyones feelings... RESPECT,after that the music is EASY!! PS regerding you "seeing" me,I doubt that because if youve been around me,or met me at all,even KNOW me in this slightest way...we wouldnt be having this discussion,my record stands without blemish on being a good,humble,knowledge thirsty,down to earth individual.

[This message has been edited by voice (edited 09-06-2000).]

Voice- You said people with no industry knowledge who hang out in clubs have no right to criticize DJ's, thats exactly what you said, you can read it up top. That statement was way off base IMHO, and though it may not have been your intention, it sounded pretentious.

You cant say in one thread your being anonymous and then in another thread talk about working with this guy and that guy. Thats hardly anonymous, thats what we call name dropping.

I don't doubt your talents so don't take this as such. I have no idea who you are, even though I may have heard your work and just don't know it.

People are always going to bash DJs, producers, even football players for that matter. If your going to put yourself on display like that it has to be expected. And beleive me, the people in the clubs have EVERY right to do speak their minds on the subject, as we have every right to ignore it and move on.

I am glad your are doing well with your career and wish you the best.

Originally posted by whitneyrmxr:

Voice- You said people with no industry knowledge who hang out in clubs have no right to criticize DJ's, thats exactly what you said, you can read it up top. That statement was way off base IMHO, and though it may not have been your intention, it sounded pretentious.

You cant say in one thread your being anonymous and then in another thread talk about working with this guy and that guy. Thats hardly anonymous, thats what we call name dropping.

I don't doubt your talents so don't take this as such. I have no idea who you are, even though I may have heard your work and just don't know it.

People are always going to bash DJs, producers, even football players for that matter. If your going to put yourself on display like that it has to be expected. And beleive me, the people in the clubs have EVERY right to do speak their minds on the subject, as we have every right to ignore it and move on.

I am glad your are doing well with your career and wish you the best.

Im not splitting hairs w/you,My intentions were/are good. This ridiculous thing has gone on long enough and can serve no Positive

purpose at all. God bless you in you endeavors as well.I wish you much success smile.gif