Clubplanet Nightlife Community

GOT A DWI ON FRI., ANY ADVICE NEXT??

A lot can depend on how much you were over the limit.

Did you take a breathalyzer? Or was it a DWI based on sight and your actions?

Also did you cause any damage to others or property? If not and this was your first offense you should be able to get off relatively easy. Press to have your record sealed after your probation/suspension is over.

Be willing to accept a longer probation/suspension and higher fine in exchange for reduced charges and eventual sealing of your record on this matter.

Also you might want to volunteer a donation to MADD or similar organization and attend some sort of class/workshop. Might look good.

Get a lawyer who has experience in this area of the law and with the local courts.

Good luck. Peace - Chick

I've gone through this before. I definately advise a lawyer, shop around for one that you can afford, when you get to court you can always postpone your plea untill you have found a lawyer.

If you get a lawyer of your own they work for you and only you. A PD has too much work and not enought pay to care.

I understand you want to keep this from your parents, however it always looks better to the judge to have them by your side.

The laws are getting much more strict on this issue. And for good reason. Too many people get hurt! I don't know if they still have the first time offender law in CT (mine was in NY). But check into it. I think they make you take a drunk driving course.

There are many ways that a lawyer can go about fighting or reducing this charge. They take the % of alcohol, the time in which you were pulled over to the time the test was given, the date the Breathalizer was inspected, what you had to eat, your body weight. All these things a PD wont do...

If you already have a PD, and have not entered a plea, you can still get other counsel.

It sucks that you are in this right now. But be thankfull that your not facing vehicular homicide charges! Oh yah and NO MORE DRIVING DRUNK.

------------------

** Shake It Baby **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Tchick

[This message has been edited by tripinchick (edited 09-06-2000).]

Originally posted by hojo53:

AND I'M GETTING A PUBLIC DEFENDER, IT'S LIKE 2000$ FOR A LAWYER. WHY WOULD I PAY THAT MUCH AND MAYBE LOSE AND HAVE TO PAY A HELL OF A LOT MORE?!?!?!

i'm not sure how it works in NY/NJ...but i used to live in Dallas and the Dallas Bar Association had an attorney referral service. You call, they ask what kind of attorney you need (criminal, labor, family, etc.) and then they refer you to an attorney that you can speak to. It was like $20 for 30 minutes and if you decide to retain the attorney after that 30 minutes of course you'd pay out your ass.....but if you just need some legal advice & want a consultation, this is a good way to go....so, in short, call the the bar association in your neighborhood...or wherever you got the DWI.....they can probably help......

ciao!

Beth.

------------------

lightinggirl@hotmail.com

If you wanna drive after drinking, and you get caught. You deserve all that they give you. You may think your driving isn't impaired and you can drive perfectly normal, but for most people thats far from the truth.

------------------

~*P*L*U*R*~

Four Simple Words To Live By....

[This message has been edited by e-tarded (edited 09-06-2000).]

I used to drive intoxicated all the time, and as sober as I thought I was, you never are, I had a couple accidents during my drinking and driving, never hit anyone or another moving car, thank god, but parked cars and other messy situations...I'm just thankful nothing bad happened, I don't drink anymore needless to say, but still as far as drinking goes, just take it as a lesson...

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

it.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

Yeah Hojo... You didn't kill anyone... This time. That should make you feel better.

Seriously though, just be happy that no one got hurt and all you have to worry about is a few months without your license and a bunch of red tape to go through.

------------------

** Shake It Baby **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Tchick

Why would anyone be nice to you and sympathize with you? You asked for advice, but there are some like me who have lost friends tod rinking and driving and take it a little more seriously than...."oh it was only .03 overthe limit, i wzsnt even drunk" why do you think they have that limit? Personally, I tihnk it should be lowered to .06. Anyone who dirnks and drives is a moron.