Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Off Topic - Movie Recs?

Unbelieveably for me, I've been completely out of the loop in what films have been released recently.

Itching to go see something on the big screen, what have you guys seen recently that you'd recommend?

Thanks guys :-)

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

---"You have wings! Why don't I have wings?!"

---"Cause you're a boy, silly."

"For the Greeks, the hidden life demanded invisible ink. They wrote an ordinary letter and in between the lines set out to write another letter, written in milk. The document looked innocent enough until one who knew better sprinkled coal-dust over it. What the letter had been no longer mattered: what mattered was the life flaring up undetected..."

Cast Away was a great film and Tom Hanks was... well... Tom Hanks. Unbreakable was brilliant. Put your money in Cast Away and try to sneak into Unbreakable.

------------------

Neo: You ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?

Choi: All the time. It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly.

11.gif

-Ricfutures

I went to see Traffic last night...def. recommend it. It's one of those films with a few different yet related plots going on at once (centered around the drug trade in America and Mexico)...but I was immediately captivated about 3 minutes into it and it kept getting better and more intense for the whole 2 1/2 hours. The critics are saying its gonna win all the Oscars..and I would have to agree.

My only advice is DONT SEE IT AT THE THEATER ON 71st and 3rd...it is so fucking uncomfortable. I think for now its only playing there and at Lincoln Square...

Also, Finding Forester was a great flick too...similar to Good Will Hunting and Scent of a Woman...def. a feel good movie with fantastic acting...Sean Connory is still the man!!!

------------------

"The world is a better place because of those who refuse to believe they can't

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

Originally posted by ricfutures:

Cast Away was a great film and Tom Hanks was... well... Tom Hanks. Unbreakable was brilliant. Put your money in Cast Away and try to sneak into Unbreakable.

I have to disagree with you here...Cast Away was NOT a great film. It lacked any real emotion and seemed so contrived and pointless. The only real emotion would have been when Tom Hanks finally gets home...but yet the filmmakers decided to cut that aspect of the story to about 20 minutes after we were forced to sit and watch Hanks scream at a volley ball for 2 hours.

I also dont really understand what the big deal about Tom Hanks is. Every single year, he comes out with a movie in December, that is obviously written JUST FOR HIM in order to give him a shot at an Oscar: Cast Away, Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Philadephia, etc. Just because the man is well liked in the industry and gets "the best" roles doesnt make him a strong actor. I often judge an actor's ability on how deep he gets into the character. Whenever I see a Tom Hanks movie, I can't help but constantly remember that I am watching Tom Hanks and not the character he is portraying. Maybe its just me (although I highly doubt it)..but Cast Away was just another lame Hollywood bomb for the year 2000, and an attempt to get Hanks an Oscar nomination...which he surely will receive...AGAIN cwm25.gif

Just my $9.50

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

Originally posted by ezdreamer:

$9.50??? Damn, shit has gone up that much? How much is popcorn? $20??

I guess that depends if you go for the "Value Pack" Its really fucking annoying when you order a certain size popcorn and soda and the fucks behind the counter ask you 9 times if you want the value pack for a quarter more...as if I had wanted a humongous fucking bag of corn to begin with I would have ordered a small one just to save 21 cents. And another thing...if your gonna offer me free refills on my drink...why the fuck would I want to buy a 92 ounce soda to begin with? Just curious.

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

Well I personally thought CastAway was a great one. I saw it last night and in my opinion it kicked ass. I would definately recommmend it. The only other movies I've seen lately were Family Man, which was good, but not GREAT. Not one of Nicholas Cage's best. I also saw Dude, Where's my Car? and it friggin SUCKED ASS! NEVER see that movie.

I would recommend CastAway.

------------------

grenda.gif

Originally posted by lolly:

Well I personally thought CastAway was a great one. I saw it last night and in my opinion it kicked ass. I would definately recommmend it. The only other movies I've seen lately were Family Man, which was good, but not GREAT. Not one of Nicholas Cage's best. I also saw Dude, Where's my Car? and it friggin SUCKED ASS! NEVER see that movie.

I would recommend CastAway.

Purely from an idea standpoint, Family Man sounds more intriguing, sorta of a "What If" type of thing. CastAway, the only reason I would bother seeing a man stuck on an island would be Tom Hanks.

------------------

Skip the little dream, go for the BIG one... or cya in the next life...

caveman.gif

Castaway was the bomb... prob the best movie I've seen in six months or so smile.gif Really makes ya think....

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

Fridays - Cream, NYC

12/6 - Arena, ALbany NY

1/13 - Slopes, Hunter Mountain

1/19 - NAMM, Los Angeles

Sat Jan. 20th - 92.7 & 98.5 FM 3-5am

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

Thanks so much guys for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

;-)

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

"For the Greeks, the hidden life demanded invisible ink. They wrote an ordinary letter and in between the lines set out to write another letter, written in milk. The document looked innocent enough until one who knew better sprinkled coal-dust over it. What the letter had been no longer mattered: what mattered was the life flaring up undetected..."

i also recommend crouching tiger, hidden dragon. it's your typical tragic asian film; but the scenery is breathtaking, the fighting scenes are tight, and the 2 women (michelle yeoh and the other one-- i don't know her name but she is GoRgEoUs!) are incredible! don't really have a thing for chow yun fat, but he has more of a supporting role in this movie, which is nice.

if you want a cute, heart warming story about a family check out you can count on me. very heart warming. the lead woman, i forget her name, got a golden globe nomination for best actress for this movie.

now, my 2 cents for cast away: i wouldn't go as far as saying it's tom hanks best film, but it's a very gripping story. you really feel for tom hanks' character-- for example, he becomes really attached to a volleyball when he is on the island, and you could understand and feel his relationship with it. strange, but that's when you know a movie has captured you.

have fun! i love movies. i want to also check out requiem for a dream, which is about an old woman that is addicted to various drugs (diet pills, painkillers, etc). very very sad.

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif

Here's my two cents on Requium for a Dream...

The cinematography is stunning. VERY interesting use of angels, light, color etc. etc.

The plot itself is a bit cliched and character development is lacking. BUT, its one of the few movies I've ever seen that made me have to turn my head away...and that, was very interesting to me.

All in all, I'd recommend it. Its certainly NOT a feel good movie but it is fascinating in many ways.

If you enjoy films for their technical aspects *at all* then definitely, definitely see it.

Oh, not to mention that the music is outstanding!

-Oo

------------------

Kewl, I'm seeing that tonite. If it sucks, I'll blame you... j/k

hehe, and if you blame me, i'll bust out those ill moves those ladies break out on the screen.. but i am warning you though ez: major cheese factors in the movie, and if you've seen asian movies before (which i'm sure you have), you know what i mean! i was laughing during most of the movie.

Originally posted by ooana:

character development is lacking

i've heard speculation about the leading woman in this movie receiving an oscar nomination for best actress! do you agree?

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif

Originally posted by kitty19:

hehe, and if you blame me, i'll bust out those ill moves those ladies break out on the screen...

Ooooh, now you're getting me excited...

Laughing throughout most of the movie? Uh oh... are we talking melted cheese here?

------------------

caveman.gif

hehe, and if you blame me, i'll bust out those ill moves those ladies break out on the screen.. but i am warning you though ez: major cheese factors in the movie, and if you've seen asian movies before (which i'm sure you have), you know what i mean! i was laughing during most of the movie.

character development is lacking

i've heard speculation about the leading woman in this movie receiving an oscar nomination for best actress! do you agree?

Hrmmm.....

I think her performance was solid with what she was given but no, I don't think she deserves and oscar nomination for it. Most of the time I'm quite disapointed with who gets nominated for an Oscar. But, I'm VERY VERY picky about performances.

While her actions, emotion, physicality and connection were solid... there was something missing. I don't blame her for that as much as the script writer. She didn't have much to work with.

-Oo

------------------

i saw vertical limit last night...ya i know, im a little behind here. not really a chick flick so dont know if you'll like it.

as for theaters, try kips bay (32nd and 2nd)...ya its 9.50 (im like, wtf!!!!), but at least its a nice theater.

I don't blame her for that as much as the script writer. She didn't have much to work with.

-Oo

Hmmm... when in doubt always blame the screenwriter... you sure you don't work for a studio?

------------------

caveman.gif

are we talking melted cheese here?

well i don't know you personally, but judging upon the cynical/witty comments you post on this board, you will probably be laughing your fuckin head off! let me know what you think tomorrow. wink.gif

ps. do you enjoy korean soaps?

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif

Hmmm... when in doubt always blame the screenwriter... you sure you don't work for a studio?

<laughs> No I don't. But let me rephrase, screenwriter, director, producer or whoever it was that decided that Character Development and good dialogue wasn't that important for this film <g>

-Oo

------------------

well i don't know you personally, but judging upon the cynical/witty comments you post on this board, you will probably be laughing your fuckin head off! let me know what you think tomorrow. wink.gif

ps. do you enjoy korean soaps?

Korean soaps... OMFG no... those things are never ending...

But I always liked Kung Fu flicks...

------------------

caveman.gif