Clubplanet Nightlife Community

CD Burner Question....

yea i get the same problem. i dont know what the deal is with it. i have ruined so many cd's its not even funny. what kind of burner do you have? mines an hp. it kinda gets on my nerves bc its so slow.

------------------

~As long as you live and high you fly the smiles you give and tears you cry is all your life will ever be~

~Dream as if you will live forever, live like you will die tomorrow~ ~

* Life isn't measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Originally posted by dreams2:

yea i get the same problem. i dont know what the deal is with it. i have ruined so many cd's its not even funny. what kind of burner do you have? mines an hp. it kinda gets on my nerves bc its so slow.

yeah mines hp too.. it came with my shitty comp...

------------------

~LiPz~

aim:LikmyLipz

"if g-d hates freaks so much, then why did he create them? Freaks are like gormet dishes in SoHo restaurants. Cucuembers with lemon mousse on salmon baked with chocolate. It dosen't make sence. Its inedible. But some chef keeps comming up with more and more bizarre combinations. And theres always people to eat them."

/>http://hometown.aol.com/lipzlipzlipz/LIPZ.html

i have a hp burner too

i burn with musicmatch jukebox no problems ever one of the easiest to use also

also the type of discs you buy are a factor

i am a big fan of the sonys very few problems

i had problems with tdks and maxells you get what you pay for

------------------

aim:floydimf

i think the speed issue goes for the burner and the program you use to burn it...and what your burning too....mp3's shouldn't really matter tho. x-cept whenever i use nero burn, the slower i go the less errors i get, so i don't use nero..for games n shit like that i think the slower you go the better but yea for mp3's it shouldn't matter...

------------------

"Your not going crazy, your going SANE in a CRAZY world..."

aol sn: kshark81

home.gif

GO KERMIT GO!!!!

I've read that burning speed DOES effect quality. but not the audio quality. The quality of errors created.

I read that the optimal burn speed is 2x (not 1x as most people believe). It has to do with the amount of time the laser remains on any given spot of the disc taking into consideration the dye's currie point.

However, newer disc and dyes have led to acceptable quality at higher speeds now.

Your configuration as well as the hardware/software is just as important as the type of media you use.

The studios that I have worked and interned in use Quantegy and Imation. Yes they are more expensive then Staples brand (ect.) but honestly I've found you do get what you pay for.

So spend a little extra on those blanks and a good name brand burner, it'll be worth it later when your CDR's play!

PS to answer the original question, I personally believe that if the "newest" technology allows for 12x burn, I'll stay with the "established" 8x for now.

If anyone has more to add to this please do.

THis has been the best info I have found so far.

------------------

aim: djmikedr

DJmikeDR@aol.com

hmm as some of you know, i'm burning my mp3 library.. well converting then burning..

I was wondering if the speed in which you burn (1x, 2x, 4xetc) effects quality.. for some reason my cd burner always gives me an error message in the middle of burning a cd if i burn at 1x or 2x, so i have been burnin at 4x.. i have had to throw out like 10cd's so far because of that problem, because once someone told me the slower you burn.. the better the quality... is this true? because personally i dont see a difference..

------------------

~LiPz~

aim:LikmyLipz

"if g-d hates freaks so much, then why did he create them? Freaks are like gormet dishes in SoHo restaurants. Cucuembers with lemon mousse on salmon baked with chocolate. It dosen't make sence. Its inedible. But some chef keeps comming up with more and more bizarre combinations. And theres always people to eat them."

/>http://hometown.aol.com/lipzlipzlipz/LIPZ.html

given that it's digital - it shouldn't make a difference what speed you burn at as long as the hardware is up to it. very strange that you should get better results at higher speeds though.

------------------

* i love sex always and forever *

and they tell me that women grow on trees

and if you catch them right they will land upon their knees

burn speed does not affect quality. it will affect how fast the burn takes. 2x=30 min's for 74 min. cd, 1x=45mins, 4x=18mins. i would do the test option (if using adaptec, imsure other bruning progs have some type of test option), to test the burner at all speeds that it can handle. also update your firmware if you still get repeated errors. make sure you have enough temp space on your hdd as well.

I just bought an external HP 8230e and it keeps giving me an error msg saying something like I need to CD-Rs that don't have "high speed" written in them since the max burn speed is 4x for the burner. I thought it might be the piece of shit 100 spindle CD-Rs(some bs brand that can record upto 12x), but I can't even record on the CD-R or CD-RW that came with the burner by HP?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by mysteriousss:

Some ppl told me that the faster your burner is, the more errors you encounter.. Some ppl said that was bullshit.. I dont' know who to believe frown.gif I just got the new 12x but haven't hooked it up yet. This shit will be FAAAAST smile.gif

This is usually b/c of buffer underrun errors. In other words, the writer is putting data onto the CD faster than it can read it from the source, and therefore runs out of data and burns a blank spot on the disc. Essentially making it into a coaster.

As for what makes a high speed vs. standard CD-R, it is the reflective medium inside. High speed discs burn data at a lower temp and light intensity than standard CD-R's, so a high-speed in a 1x, 2x, 4x burner will just burn the hell out of the disc, again making a neat coaster. In the opposite direction, standard discs in just high-speed burners will encounter errors from partial data recording.

A solution like Plextor's variable speed burner solves most of these problems, adjusting its burn speed for the media types as well as for internal data tranfer rates.

As for burning MP3s vs. CDs vs. programs vs. analog signals...MP3s and music cd's, being digital recordings, should be able to be recorded at no loss of integrity at whatever the max speed of the recorder is PROVIDED the data are transferred at the same rate. Older cd burners could only transfer audio cds at the rate of standard play, i.e. 1x. Programs are generally burned at whatever rate they can be transferred at as well. Analog signals, however, demand a 1x burn. The computer/software must process the signal into a digital format for optical recording, something that caqn't be done at higher speeds without errors, using the technology commercially available now.

This is all based on personal experience and education from those with far more experience than I.

------------------

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery