Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ever been to Brazil?

Does anyone know any cool places to go to in Rio: clubs, bars, shows, tours, etc.? I leave in two weeks and need some advice. I would appreciate any advice any of you could offer.

------------------

Quitters never win and winners never quit!

[This message has been edited by ichernomor (edited 01-17-2001).]

advice:

1) watch your wallet, don't wear a watch, stay away from the tourist areas.

2) when they give you drink tickets at a bar, it only seems like the beer is free. you'll have to pay later.

3) on the beer tip, don't drink from the bottle (it's too big anyway).

4) on the tip tip... you don't.

5) If a pretty lady comes up to and talks to you out of the blue asking for a drink, she'll want you to buy her more than a drink, she'll probably want you to buy her.

6) The peanuts are good, as are the barbecued cheese sticks.

7) Repeat after me: Uma kaipeereenya pour favor - and repeat often.

8) If ever asked: "American boy wannee dansa Fourhall" Answer "Sim" and try not to look too enthusiastic.

Need a read? Have a look at: http://www.kwic.com/%7Echamber/brazil.html

It's a pretty detailed account of my times down there.

have fun, I know I did!

obtw - if you really need an l/d on clubs in Rio, there's a guy who's a record buyer for a bunch of clubs there and is always at Decadance. I can ask him when I see him.

later

d

------------------

Voted one of the top 3 dj's - Clubplanet Awards 2001

I got back from a Rio/Buenos Aires trip about ten days ago.

I agree with spoonyd, the only thing to drink is a caipirinha (he wrote down the correct pronunciation). If you're up for some beer, just ask for a Chopp. "Umo chopp por favor"

Here's some advice on Rio:

Definitely go to Nuth (pronounced Nootch) in Balla, on Ave. do Armando Lombardi 999. On Fri and Sat. the door's by Alexandra and the manager is patricia.

Go to People Club in Leblon. Ave. Bartolomeu Mitre 370, door by Sylvia on Friday night.

W in ipanema, door by Avezzino or "Z" for short.

Bar with locals are near downtown in an area called "Lapa" just tell you taxi driver "Arcos ta Lapa" which are right near bars where students hang out (definitely not many "gringos" there.)

In general I would suggest Leme and Ipanema or Lagoa for bar/restaurants and the swimming pool/spa at the Copacabana Palace in Copa.

keep in mind that the water is very polluted and in spite of the fact that many locals swim in Ipanema and Copacabana I would suggest you to stay away from the water unless is a pool in any major Hotel. One of my favorite hang out is the Meridien at the end of Copacabana, just because of its international flavor.

As for restaurants:

Carolina's Cafe

Porcao (Barao da Torre 354)

Pax Delicia (Ipanema)

Garcia y Rodriguez (Leblon)

Satyricon

Antiquarius

Absolutely do NOT miss the last two, and yes, reservations required.

I cannot emphasize caipirinha enough. Also remember to buy a STONE bottle of Cachaca ("kashasa") at the airport duty free store. I'll pay good money if you bring me one of those too smile.gif

have fun kiddo..

morph_

cwm13.gif

------------------

This is my church

This is where i heal my hurts

It's in natural grace

Or watching young lives shape

It's in minor keys

Solutions and remedies

Enemies becoming friends

When bitterness ends

This is my church

and spoonyd's tips number 1 and 5 are especially to be taken seriously..

watch your valuables, don't be walking around alone at night.. shit happens.. and when i say it, i mean if fucking happens.. i know a group of people who went there, and by the first hour 4 of them had lost one item of serious importance (one lost a passport, two got mugged for all their $$ and two got a weird ass cabby to take them around the city a few times AND lose a piece of suitcase at a red light.)

And those fellas over there don't speak english for shit.

anyway smile.gif enjoy..

morph_ cwm13.gif