Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who here can expertly define a genre of music?!?!

I have noticed that as of late there has been a lot of drama over people not agreeing about a vibe or most importantly a style of music. Heres a little social experiment for our board. Let's see who can give us the text book definition of styles of music since I've noticed so many experts on the subject. Here we go:

What is house music?

What is hard house?

What is trance?

What is progressive house?

what is techno?

What is breakbeat?

What is tribal?

let's see all of the opinions on this! biggrin.gif

well i for one need help with this stuff! i am clueless but i'm catching on slowly. i don't really see why i (personally) need to be able to label it as long as i enjoy it and it brings me pleasure!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a snow bunny!!!

uknj@aol.com

Well this is not an expert reply, but this is what I believe.

House music is what you would hear Danny Tenaglia spin... simple dance music that doesn't sound cheesy. I really dunno how to desribe house...it will use those weird sounds.. like.."BOOONG", and those electric elastic band sounds.. like in the track "My Lexicon" By Sander Kleinenberg... crazy sounds in that song.

Hard house, is what you hear at exit. House music with a Hard beat.. it's relatively easier to dance too. But to me it's gay.

Trance is music that has the sounds that hypnotize you.. take you away... put you in the "trance"... one of my favorite trance songs is Pistolwhip by Joshua Ryan (James Holden Remix)... it's sooo good. You will hear Sasha spin that track a lot. It's in his birthday set, and I've heard it at Twilo the past few times he was there.

Progressive "anything".. is exactly what it means... the song starts off with maybe your beat, and a symbol clashing.. then as it progressives you hear more and more sounds added to the song, until it reaches it's climax... perfect example of this is Xpander, by Sasha..

Techno.. hmm.. I don't know. It uses "technoey, robotic, futuristic sounds" HAHAH I don't think that's a good description.

Breakbeat, has a different beat than other songs. Listen to Space Manouveres by Stage One, Rabbitweed by Sasha, The Fibocanni Sequence (is that how u spell it?) by BT, and I even think Belfunk sounds breakbeat almost.

Tribal... to me is house music that uses drumbeats that you would hear african tribes play.

Well that is what I think each genre of music represents. Any corrections or additions?

-Steve

This is the best thing I've seen so far. It matches just about 100% with my own definitions:

http://www.ishkur.com/menu/lifestyle/guide.htm

Another good way to get a feel for styles is from the satellite records web site ( www.satteliterecords.com ) and check out the new items 'by style'. They do okay for definitions except where 'hard house' is concerned (ie, they tend to put the NY style of hardhouse (cheese trance)).

This is a copout because I have lots to do today and can't sit here and type (like that ever stopped me before).

------------------

Voted one of the top 3 dj's - Clubplanet Awards 2001

definitely not an expert on defining the specific genres. i'm not sure many of us have sat around pondering the exact definition of each type of music Sheric has listed. I think most people basically RECOGNIZE the different genres when they hear it and can point out, "that was house" or "that was progressive trance." the easiest thing for me to do, yet very simplistic and generalized is to give examples of DJ's (although this is dangerous b/c most dj's play a variety of genres), songs, venues, etc. as an example of each. i'll use laymen's terms to describe them b/c quite honestly, i don't know the technical ones

house - "i'll house you" by the jungle brothers is a perfect example of an old school house music. carl cox tends to play a lot of hard techno and house (as well as other genres)

hard house - like someone said b4, a prime example is exit and boris. hard hitting, beat you over the head with bass.

trance - sasha, very trancy... gus gus (sasha v. the light), PVD, Oakie... once again, the disclaimer that these djs typically expand many other genres of music but i use as examples

progressive (house & trance) - somewhat difficult to distinguish sometimes but progressive can be seen to a great extent in PVD's live @ home - very hard and progressive.

techno - go to old days at limelight (early mid 90's)... songs like dominator, injected with a poison. today, sven vath is a perfect example of a good techno dj

breakbeat - name speaks for itself. somgs like alasla by alaska and beyond therapy by jmj & richie

tribal - once again, a very descriptive title, like someone alse said, music sounds that may remind you of being in the bush in africa. sorry, no songs come to mind.

this is the best way i know how to describe the various music not being a dj or music critic. i would imagine many people define their various genres this way. i have simplified everything here (which some may or may not agree with). the bottom line is... i know how to destinguish, most of the time, the different genres of music when i here it.

------------------

calvinan.gif

"Strangers are just friends waiting to happen." - Old Sage Twilo

To risa06, and mysteriousss.. you made your comments like

"wow...thats all??? come on guys...all this talk about musik and noone has anything to say right now????....funny

Yeah, most ppl are only good at "******* sucks" comments.."

well... I'd like to hear your opinion on this topic, no one has anything to say.. so why don't you guys say something?

Originally posted by ccms610:

To risa06, and mysteriousss.. you made your comments like

"wow...thats all??? come on guys...all this talk about musik and noone has anything to say right now????....funny

Yeah, most ppl are only good at "******* sucks" comments.."

well... I'd like to hear your opinion on this topic, no one has anything to say.. so why don't you guys say something?

well sweetie...I'm never the one who acts like I know everything about electronic musik....if anything....this reply was more of a question...cuz I really want to know how all these people that say (for example) musik at Exit is not deep house define deep house (especialy those who never go there)....now its your turn I guess smile.gif

------------------

"I don't want you to love me........"

Originally posted by k_car:

house - "i'll house you" by the jungle brothers is a perfect example of an old school house music. carl cox tends to play a lot of hard techno and house (as well as other genres)

Considerably better definition - "House Music" by Eddie Amador. Oddly a definitive track.

hard house - like someone said b4, a prime example is exit and boris. hard hitting, beat you over the head with bass.

Not hard house - You can possibly call that NY hard house, but the style is more closely associated with Trance and Euro (kind of a blend of the two). But it's not hard house.

trance - sasha, very trancy... gus gus (sasha v. the light), PVD, Oakie... once again, the disclaimer that these djs typically expand many other genres of music but i use as examples

Try and of the Binary Finary 199* tracks. Again, definitive of the style.

progressive (house & trance) - somewhat difficult to distinguish sometimes but progressive can be seen to a great extent in PVD's live @ home - very hard and progressive.

Try, bassline driven and possesing the rythm of a techno track. Add pad melodies to distinguish prog trance from house.

techno - go to old days at limelight (early mid 90's)... songs like dominator, injected with a poison. today, sven vath is a perfect example of a good techno dj

You're confusing oldskool hardcore with techno. Though you are bang on calling Sven Vath a good techno dj. But he plays techno, not oldschool hardcore.

breakbeat - name speaks for itself. somgs like alasla by alaska and beyond therapy by jmj & richie

The breakbeat is, for example, the rythm that all hip-hop is done to. It's syncopated (ie not 4/4). Breaks, bigbeat, jungle, two step etc. is also based on the breakbeat. Perfect example of a breakbeat is James Brown's "Funky Drummer" sample.

tribal - once again, a very descriptive title, like someone alse said, music sounds that may remind you of being in the bush in africa. sorry, no songs come to mind.

Try: --> http://209.237.157.45/ram/45406.RAM

------------------

Hmm.. I did not see your reply as a question,

and I thought you were just another one of those people making a dumb comment, but I guess not.

Deep house? I wouldn't know how to define it... Steve Lawler, or John Digweed style?

Deep, Dark, Tribal house... I guess when they describe a genre as "deep" you can say you really get into it, or it really gets into you...

I think an example of deep trance would be Track #8 on Expeditions CD2. Humate - Love Stimulation.

Originally posted by spoonyd:

thanks for helping to expand and clarify some stuff i wrote. your additions definitely helped

cwm30.gif most of the stuff was written very quickly off the top of my head and as you pointed out, weren't perfect examples of the genres cwm20.gif next time, i'll put a bit more thought into it.

peace cwm4.gif

------------------

calvinan.gif

"Strangers are just friends waiting to happen." - Old Sage Twilo

I'm sooooo not into the genrefication of music, one track to one person could be considered tech house, another may think it's hard house, another techno, and so on and so forth.......I just go for the adjectives -> bangin' for example wink.gif

Having said that Spoonyd seems to be on the money

cwm30.gif

------------------

hapfac01.gif ...............the latest ETA 4 NYC? Tell me and we'll both know!(I love the INS!)-----------------> boa_boy@yahoo.com

Originally posted by helpermonkey:

I think it's fairly telling that most of the attempts at a response here only classify things by throwing out a couple of track or DJ names, or even club names, without actually attempting to describe what makes up the style...

yeah it tells that I can't be bothered, and that B2B lost his in a comp glitch. What's your point?

------------------

Originally posted by helpermonkey:

I think it's fairly telling that most of the attempts at a response here only classify things by throwing out a couple of track or DJ names, or even club names, without actually attempting to describe what makes up the style...

Exactly what I was thinking.. It's really hard to describe in words what it is.. I just sort of hear the sounds "typical" of a certain genre and know what it is.. Sometimes ppl surprise me when they classify it as something else..

i cant explain the millions of stars that are in the galaxy in my own words either, that doesnt mean they dont exist and there's some logic behind them. get a clue...

all the genre's are defined by the particular way a track is created, the sequences in the track and such. so there is a set of rules which dictate what a particular track is, its not just know it alls making shit up as they go along...

------------------

chronic is the answer...

House (Derived from The WareHOUSE) 110-140 BPM. 4/4 beat structure (4 Beat/4 bars), a simple beat (using base drum, high hat, snare etc, with the 808 drum set's being synonymous with House music). A simple base and melody defines the sub-genres of house music (Deep, garage etc). Originators Frankie Knuckes, Todd Terry, Jessy Saunders, Luis Vega.

Techno (Derived from TECHNOlogy) 100BPM-upwards. Techno is that hardest to categorize. In it's simplest form Technoi just means the use of technology. Usually built up in layers and textures, with each layer trying to describe a feeling, place, image etc, techno is the modern day Classical music. Very 'arty' and the thinking mans music are all things techno has been described as. Sub-Genre’s (Minimal, Industrial, Gabba). Originators Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin.

That's all for now, may post more when i have knocked up wink.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

I can STILL resist ANYTHING but temptation.

bsb2.GIF