Clubplanet Nightlife Community

childhood nicknames, 'fess up........

Wow, this brings back memories- there was Stinky, Fatty, Smelly, Hairy, Bitey, Scratchy and Dunce. I was always like "Ma, I have a REAL name", but those were the ones of choice.

------------------

Too crazy for Boys Town, too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

I'm C.O.'d.

AIM: crackorn71

Originally posted by Crackorn:

Wow, this brings back memories- there was Stinky, Fatty, Smelly, Hairy, Bitey, Scratchy and Dunce. I was always like "Ma, I have a REAL name", but those were the ones of choice.

woohoo, a name for each personality!!

i love coxwingin!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a snow bunny!!!

uknj@aol.com

only for you, uknjx2, aka jim hensen superstar . . .

Why do we call informal names "nicknames?"

As I'm sure you have already guessed, the etymological source for this modern word is the Old English word, "eke," meaning

besides or in addition to. I know you can fill in the rest, but just for the record . . .

In the Middle Ages an eke name was a name in addition to your formal name. Most people did not have last names and in any

village there might be more than one person with the same name -- say, William. To avoid confusion, there would be William the blacksmith, William the tanner, etc. Those were their eke or additional names, a concept we've adopted for informally referring to any William as Bill – his additional name.

Now what if I wrote and pronounced "an eke name" as "a neke name?" This linguistic looseness is called noncing. We arrived at the word "nickname" because over the years the words got slightly rearranged -- a nodd phenome non, to be sure.

------------------

Life is too short to be small.

Originally posted by eggmok:

only for you, uknjx2, aka jim hensen superstar . . .

Why do we call informal names "nicknames?"

As I'm sure you have already guessed, the etymological source for this modern word is the Old English word, "eke," meaning

besides or in addition to. I know you can fill in the rest, but just for the record . . .

In the Middle Ages an eke name was a name in addition to your formal name. Most people did not have last names and in any

village there might be more than one person with the same name -- say, William. To avoid confusion, there would be William the blacksmith, William the tanner, etc. Those were their eke or additional names, a concept we've adopted for informally referring to any William as Bill – his additional name.

Now what if I wrote and pronounced "an eke name" as "a neke name?" This linguistic looseness is called noncing. We arrived at the word "nickname" because over the years the words got slightly rearranged -- a nodd phenome non, to be sure.

i love the way you educate me!!!

oh, and this whole "neke" name thing made me remember my best friend in hs and my ex. bf called me neek!!!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a snow bunny!!!

uknj@aol.com

[This message has been edited by uknjx2 (edited 01-18-2001).]

Originally posted by ichi_gami:

NEVVAAAHHH!!!! You shall have to beat them out of me... cwm9.gif

Yo...Ichi...I will just get it out of JDogg to use against you for selfish reasons in the future. So, before I start to prepare my blackmail strategies, you might as well give it up!!!

As for me......I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

cwm4.gifcwm4.gifcwm4.gif