Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Remember me saying Breaks are the future? Sasha agrees.(New album info)

Celebrating being named number one DJ in dotmusic and DJ magazine's poll of the world's top 100 spinners, Sasha told us, "I was amazed, I'm really, really happy and buzzing - I didn't expect it at all. I'm absolutely blown away by it."

Talking about the album of his own original material that has been promised for the past five years, Sasha told us, "I'm gonna go for it, stay at home and not do any gigs and get it finished."

"I'm working on a lot of breakbeat stuff, electro kinda beats and stuff. I'm working with Charlie May from Spooky so it's got a lot of that Guerrilla, old school feel to it"

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

When the party was in progress and unidentified frequency has been existing in the system for some time - Freak Frequency

bsb2.GIF

OK,

When it comes do techno/dance music, I know my s**t, but exactly are Sasha and you meaning by breaks and beats? I've heard different people say different things, and am a little confused. Are you meaning funky hard beats, with a strong bassline, or more d&b-like breaks? Give me some examples of artists/DJs/tracks like this . . .

na i never said it'd be the future... i do cry for them though and have been stating i wish i heard more for what seems like forever on this board

smile.gif

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by scorpio876:

OK,

When it comes do techno/dance music, I know my s**t, but exactly are Sasha and you meaning by breaks and beats? I've heard different people say different things, and am a little confused. Are you meaning funky hard beats, with a strong bassline, or more d&b-like breaks? Give me some examples of artists/DJs/tracks like this . . .

Deep south - Layo & Bushwacka is a good example.

Just breakbeat with D&B bass lines.

D&B doesn't work on the dancefloor, most white folks just look stupid smile.gif

But nu-school breaks work better, and still have those sublime B-lines.

We all know we want the big chunky, hard, wobbley B-line.. it's just getting them in a form that works... speed garage never too off, but with peeps like Sasha getting on, it helps the cause.

------------------

When the party was in progress and unidentified frequency has been existing in the system for some time - Freak Frequency

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Deep south - Layo & Bushwacka is a good example.

Just breakbeat with D&B bass lines.

D&B doesn't work on the dancefloor, most white folks just look stupid smile.gif

But nu-school breaks work better, and still have those sublime B-lines.

We all know we want the big chunky, hard, wobbley B-line.. it's just getting them in a form that works... speed garage never too off, but with peeps like Sasha getting on, it helps the cause.

layo and bushwacka are cool. I saw them at the end. Does anyone know where i can get deep south from?

Breaks ain't the future; they've been around for years... especially here in FL.

------------------

"House music... it can change your soul."

"The second most popular game that we played as children... is house."

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

yeah i know, that dj icey and crew shit. it hasn't gotten too big, so I hope it doesnt spread. I dont know what these guys are thinkin. Next thing you know there's gonna be a hard house invasion in the US. My 8 track player is rolling over in its grave as we speak!

Originally posted by arrakis:

Breaks ain't the future; they've been around for years... especially here in FL.

------------------

chronic is the answer...

Pooh> Yeah; I hear ya... can't believe "hard house" has even the word "house" in it - this crap genre has no funk or soul.

------------------

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

Wombat> Sorry; don't know him... I'm not into breaks myself; just constantly surrounded by it.

------------------

havent' heard to much of icey, but what i have has been cheesy

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by PFloyd40:

havent' heard to much of icey, but what i have has been cheesy

bro that fla breaks movement has been anything but a movement. if you listen to their shit from a few years ago, and the shit they're puttin out right now, its all the same. and its not even all the same good stuff, or even decent stuff, its all the same cheeze. very weak, i don't even understand how its still holding up, even if its isolated to fla. oh well, to each their own, but sasha better quit the drugs...

------------------

chronic is the answer...

Yeh these nu-school breaks are slightly different. They have more repetative beat formations (like house).

Get Adam Freelands - Techtonics

I will bet $50 (on top of the $2.99), that what Sasha does on his album follows the same style as the tracks Freeland put together.

mark my words wink.gif

------------------

bsb2.GIF

i think break beats are difficult to implement. sasha has done it a few times. once i thought it was great, the other sounded forced, and chilled out an amazing vibe.

carl cox threw them in a set not too long ago, that was fucking awesome, he blew it up with the breaks.

Originally posted by nycedee:

i think break beats are difficult to implement. sasha has done it a few times. once i thought it was great, the other sounded forced, and chilled out an amazing vibe.

carl cox threw them in a set not too long ago, that was fucking awesome, he blew it up with the breaks.

yea i agree sometimes they can sound somewhat forced. like nick warren's essential october, he threw down ashtrax-diversion which is an amazing track, i absolutely love it to death, he mixes into it decent, but his mix out of it is pretty weak.

pvd usually works his breakbeats in there pretty well too.

pooh- yea that icey crap is so damn repetitive. warren throws down illy breaks though

-Rob

------------------

hmr3.gif

B2B, I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Adam Freeland. His stuff on Tectronics is awesome.

I love listening to breaks, but dancing to it is a little more challenging.

DJs/producers gotta go out and try new sounds sometimes, or else they can get stale and boring.

(Even Mr. Howells threw in a little breakbeat action Saturday nite -- worked like a charm)