Clubplanet Nightlife Community

^^^Clubs vs Raves^^^

Originally posted by tyco:

I'll assume you don't brand a DJ "wack" because they open for the big time DJs.......many of the best out there now started off as "warmup" DJs.......

Mikey

no, of course i don't deem djs wack just because they open for the big name djs; i just do so if they're only put there to occupy the time slot before the big name and told not to do anything that might overshadow the headliner. i have friends who're djs, and they've experienced these types of instructions. if these openers don't play anything too interesting, it keeps fewer people on the dancefloor and more people paying for drinks at the bar.

Here`s something I found

In general practice, a "rave" usually refers to a party, usually all night long, open to the general public, where loud "techno" music is mostly played. The number of people at the event is unimportant; it can range from 50 people to 25,000 people.

The cost of attendance is also unimportant - there have been good raves and bad raves at both ends of the cost spectrum (though in practice, the higher the price, the more commercial the event, and the lower the quality).

At a rave, the DJ is a shaman, a priest, a channeller of energy - they control the psychic voyages of the dancers through his choice in hard-to-find music and their skill in manipulating that music, sometimes working with just a set of beats and samples, into a tapestry of mindbending music.

A large part of the concept of raves is built upon sensory overload - a barrage of audio and very often visual stimuli are brought together to elevate people into an altered state of physical or psychological existence.

The actual concept of raves is not new - it is as old as time itself. As the base level, raves are very comparable to American Indian religious ceremonies, i.e. pow-wows, and also to the concept of the Shaman in Eskimo and Siberian society - where music is the key towards pulling oneself into a unique emotional and psychological state, a state in which one experiences washes of sensations and visions, not delusions, but visions.

The hypnotizing effect of techno music coupled with the seemless transitions and thematic progressions of rave DJ's as the night progresses can be QUITE intoxicating, resulting in what could be closely compared to a religious experience.

Music in general has always been able to sweep people off their feet, but what distinguishes raves are the concept of the shared experience; a feeling of unity often arises, and people are open and friendly to one another. There is a loss of that "attitude" that is omnipresent in normal clubs and even in life in general. People are celebrated for who they are, not what they aren't.

------------------

ecstasy_pill15.jpg

Originally posted by George Glass:

..forcing smaller crews out of the picture in favor of crews that care mainly about packing em in like stuck on earth..

Still, my biggest gripe is the lame hour sets.

completely agree, george glass. don't get me wrong, i know it's extremely difficult to throw raves. i've had experience throwing huge parties, and it's a f*ckin bitch

however, it's hard to give sympathy to crews like SOE that act like they aren't in it for the money, rip people off, and yet people STILL continue to go to their parties.

it goes to show that people don't give a shit about the quality of parties, but they just want an open space with all these big name DJs (that don't show up, and if they do, are on for 1 hr) to get fuct up in, basically.

and i was drawn to raves b/c of the fact that there were SOO many DJs; i like being able to

walk into one room and hear trance, the next room some bangin chicago hardhouse, and then some ill hardcore.. you know? but they need to cut out the QUANTITY of DJs and replace it with QUALITY...

and yea i think i am a jaded raver to a certain degree, but like pfloyd, my heart is always in it. cwm38.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif