Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A MUST READ__________Private Ambulance gets Media coverage from the NYTimes

I DID NOT ALTER A WORD

April 21, 2001

Ex-Worker Details Drug Policy at Nightclub

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

former security guard at a Manhattan nightclub that the city has tried to close said in an affidavit that during his three years of work there at least 100 unconscious or nearly unconscious patrons were pulled into a back room by club workers and left there without medical help.

The club, Twilo, at 530 West 27th Street, in Chelsea, is one of several Manhattan nightclubs that have contracted with private companies to have ambulances wait outside their doors, ready to take patrons who have drug overdoses to hospital emergency rooms. The ambulances allow the clubs to bypass the 911 system and escape the attention of the police, city officials said.

The Manhattan district attorney's office is investigating the practice, which came to its attention last fall when emergency room nurses at St. Vincents Manhattan noted that a large number of young people suffering from acute drug overdoses were being brought in by ambulances run by MetroCare Ambulance, a private company, on weekend nights.

For two years Twilo has been a target of the city, which has alleged that the nightclub is a veritable supermarket for illegal drugs like Ecstasy and GHB, or gamma hydroxybutyrate. Last summer, a 21-year-old medical student, James Wiest, collapsed on the dance floor at Twilo and later died at St. Vincents.

The former security guard, Joseph Murray, was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment after three revelers at Twilo overdosed and were taken to hospitals in October. In an affidavit prepared by the city in connection with its lawsuit to close the club down, he gave details of that incident, in which he said that Twilo's managers asked him to assist in taking a semiconscious patron to a "safe area." He also said he had seen the same action taken in July with another patron who he later learned was Mr. Wiest.

"During the three years that I have worked on security inside Twilo, I have seen at least 100 instances in which unconscious or semiconscious patrons have been placed in the safe area by security and left there," his affidavit reads. Mr. Murray added that he was told by Twilo managers that "security is not permitted to call E.M.S. or 911 for any patron."

David Maloof, a lawyer representing Mr. Wiest's mother, said he was investigating whether his client's son was left in a back room without medical attention.

Club officials dismissed Mr. Murray's assertions.

"We feel horrible that he is making these allegations," said Peter R. Sullivan, a lawyer for Twilo. "The truth is that Twilo is far and away the safest venue of its kind."

Deputy Fire Commissioner Francis X. Gribbon said that during the incident on Oct. 8, Emergency Medical Service workers responded to a 911 call from the club. The workers were greeted by security guards who said there was "no situation at the club, no patients here," according to an E.M.S. report from that night.

According to the E.M.S. workers' report, as they were leaving, they received a report that patients were still inside the club. E.M.S. workers found a young man and a young woman in a room near the bar. Another patron told the emergency workers that someone had been "moving bodies around the club, trying to hide them," the report says.

Deputy Mayor Rudy Washington said yesterday that the city was still trying to close Twilo. "Until a court gives us an order to close them, there is not much we can do," he said. "We pray that no one else dies."

------------------

I can't dream for us all I hope I'm in a better state when

Here & Now crumbles & falls...

Gigs:

Fondling p00h's ass @ Twilo

Be Yourself grabbing p00h at Vinyl

I love p00h's ass *alwaysandforever*

More on the world-famous private ambulance:

April 20, 2001

Nightclubs Hire Ambulances for Overdoses, Skipping 911

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

ome Manhattan nightclubs have hired private ambulance companies to wait outside and to swiftly take revelers who overdose on drugs to hospital emergency rooms, bypassing the 911 system and the attention of the police.

The practice was noticed last fall by emergency room nurses at St. Vincent's in Manhattan when a large number of young people suffering from acute drug overdoses began showing up on weekend nights, usually transported by private ambulances. Often, the nurses said, the patients had not been given the proper care en route, and many were in such serious condition that they needed to be put on respirators.

Deputy Mayor Rudy Washington said last night that he was outraged by the practice, and that it was further proof that the clubs should be shut down.

"By using private ambulances, it makes it more difficult for us to keep track of how many people are going to the hospital and it keeps it difficult for the police to find out what is going on because they are never called with these companies," he said. "It is ludicrous. People are overdosing and the fact they put an ambulance outside a nightclub should be enough to establish that nightclub should be closed."

St. Vincent's officials said they notified the Manhattan district attorney's office about the numerous overdose patients arriving from nightclubs. The district attorney's office began an investigation into the drug activity at the clubs and whether the private ambulances were being used to circumvent the police, according to hospital officials.

Many of the club patrons, almost all around 19 years old, come from Twilo, a dance club in Chelsea that the city has long tried to close down, contending that it serves as a drug marketplace. Last summer, a young medical student passed out on the dance floor of Twilo and was pronounced dead at St. Vincent's of a drug overdose.

Night nurses at St. Vincent's reported that most of the revelers arrived from the nightclubs unconscious, often half dressed and wet from being splashed with ice water in an attempt to sober them up, said Suzanne Pugh, nurse manager at the hospital.

Many had low body temperatures and were breathing very slowly, known side effects of a drug overdose, usually caused by Ecstasy or GHB, or gamma hydroxybutyrate, which is commonly known as a date rape drug.

Ms. Pugh said she became concerned not only over the number of patients arriving in drug-induced stupors — four or five a weekend night, a 100 percent increase from the prior year — but about the care that the private ambulance crews, mostly from MetroCare Ambulance, the state's largest private ambulance firm, were providing.

"The Police Department did not know what was going on," she said, adding that it did not appear that the patients had been attended to by paramedics, who are trained and equipped to give advanced life support. "The kids were not getting the level of care that 911 would have given. One kid was breathing four times a minute. If these kids were not young and in really good condition they would not have been able to sustain as they did."

Twilo and the Roxy, a club on West 18th Street, hired MetroCare in recent months, and several clubs have been clients for even longer, according to Robert Hirsch, director of MetroCare's sports and entertainment division. He denied that care was substandard, saying that while some of his clients contract for basic life support, which uses technicians and basic emergency equipment, Twilo and the Roxy both pay for advanced life support with paramedics, at a cost of about $225 an hour.

Mr. Hirsch said that if patients arrived needing life support, "I would need to see if we brought them in."

Nightclub executives say that their use of MetroCare is no different than that of sports teams or large concert arenas, which often hire private companies to keep an ambulance waiting during major events. They also acknowledge that the principal reason they need the ambulances is to deal with people on drugs.

"The main reason that we hired MetroCare is because of GHB," said Jason McCarthy, general manager of the Roxy. "Several clubs in the neighborhood have had people die in them because of GHB. And when people go down, 911 is useless. I do this to protect my clients who go into cardiac arrest."

A spokesman for the Fire Department, which oversees the city's Emergency Medical Service, denied that service is slow. "Our response times are the lowest they have been," said Deputy Fire Commissioner Frank Gribbon, citing an average of less than six minutes.

Twilo is the subject of a lawsuit by two young patrons who allege that club employees tried to hide them from an E.M.S. crew last summer when they suffered drug overdoses.

"My clients were moved to isolated areas in the club and medical treatment was denied," said Gregory Longworth, a lawyer for the two club patrons, whom he did not identify. He said his clients were still undergoing medical care.

Twilo, a club built in a former warehouse at 530 West 27th Street, has attracted the ire of the city for more than two years. The Police Department's Civil Enforcement Division filed a lawsuit in November 1998 seeking to close the club. The suit contended that the sale of drugs like Ecstasy created a public nuisance. So far the city's efforts have been unsuccessful.

No one at the district attorney's office would comment on its investigation into the club's use of private ambulance firms, but a St. Vincent's spokeswoman said nurses there had been interviewed and were cooperating. Mr. Longworth said he had worked with assistant district attorneys in their investigation.

Twilo officials contend that the city has bullied them rather than help combat the rampant drug use.

"We are blamed for everything and we are never given the benefit of the doubt," said Peter R. Sullivan, the club's lawyer. "The reason we are still open is because we have been able to prove to the courts that we are the safest club in New York."

He added: "People who go out dancing are in more medical need today than they were 10 years ago because of the way that they entertain themselves. We have been asking the city for two years to work with us to make sure there are no illegal drug transactions in the club and they have refused. So we have had to create a state-of-the-art medical system of our own."

------------------

I can't dream for us all I hope I'm in a better state when

Here & Now crumbles & falls...

Gigs:

Fondling p00h's ass @ Twilo

Be Yourself grabbing p00h at Vinyl

I love p00h's ass *alwaysandforever*

im glad you're back cazz, for afterall, your name & 'the drama' have been synonymous for quite some time... and you know what a drama queen i am.

i feel a little bad about this whole thing though. i mean, you have been waiting for these articles, practically living just for the day they surfaced, for months now... and just when you step out of town for a couple days VIOLA, here they are. it's all about the timing kiddo.

this twilo-boss thing is priceless though, i must admit.

thank you for being you.

------------------

don't act too cool because you might get shot...

Originally posted by twilo-boss:

Yes yes it's me, you may all get up off you knees now.

I would just like to respond to this by saying the press and government are all out to get me. This is all propaganda.

Anyway here are a few special offers I wanted to let you all know about.

Firstly the Twilo Card, it's a great gift from Twilo to our valued customer. We at Twilo like to give it back to you the people who make it all possible to bring the best talent in the world to NY. We, as you know, are not interested in profits it's all about the scene. So with that in mind we came up with the Twilo card. How does it work? Well you don't actually get in cheaper than a list, but you don't have to wait in line to get in. Fantastic, I here you cry, thank you Twiloboss (kiss, kiss, kiss) I here you scream. There have been rumors that when everybody gets them that you won't have to wait in the normal line, but you will have to wait in a Twilo card line. But hey the Twilo card line is a much cooler line to wait in. Also the roumors that the card will be scrapped in 4 months are untrue as well, it's just another government ploy to close us down. Remember we (Twilo inc) don't get anything out of this, it's all about you.

Secondly I would like to remind you of our new club in London. Yes those smelly breathed English get to share in our little club. There will be a joint London-NY Twilo card coming soon that allows 25c off entry to both clubs at the bargain price of $100. And yes the club will be bigger than my ego, but only just!

Lastly look out for <A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.Twiloboss.com" TARGET=_blank>www.Twiloboss.com</A> you will be able to see pictures of me and talk on the twiloboss message board. Also twiloboss merchandize will be available, from T-shirts to twiloboss vibrators for you girls.

Just remember when you can't afford the price at the door.. suck it up.

LOL.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

THAT IS AN IMPOSTOR!!!

The twilo cards are a GREAT DEAL.

We take your pic, so it's easier to ban you.

And all complaints about the security...leave the dude with glasse alone. He and I are getting married in Vermont and we need a drug buffet, so that's where they go when they shake you down.

Our wedding will be 50 at the door. 45 with card.

And we are getting a stretch ambulance.

Piss off

------------------------------------

The Buck Stops Here and The Lips At My Ass

Originally posted by twiloboss:

THAT IS AN IMPOSTOR!!!

And all complaints about the security...leave the dude with glasse alone. He and I are getting married in Vermont and we need a drug buffet, so that's where they go when they shake you down.

Piss off

Everybody I is obvious this person has stolen my name to use against me, Twilo and our community. This probably a government employee trying to discredit our club. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE (unless it's about Twilo).

See you all at www.twilo.com it's a much better board free comp for the first person to tell me how beautiful I am on the Twilo board.

Remember there are two type of people in this world, people who post on the Twilo board and people who don't. I am so cool, don't you all whish you were as cool as me? Silly question of course you do.

www.twiloboss.com

Originally posted by twiloboss:

THAT IS AN IMPOSTOR!!!

Piss off

now this is what i'd classify as humor. classic! keep up the good work bossman...

------------------

I'm a hustler baby, I just want u to know,

It ain't where I've been, its where I'm bout to go...

Yes yes it's me, you may all get up off you knees now.

I would just like to respond to this by saying the press and government are all out to get me. This is all propaganda.

Anyway here are a few special offers I wanted to let you all know about.

Firstly the Twilo Card, it's a great gift from Twilo to our valued customer. We at Twilo like to give it back to you the people who make it all possible to bring the best talent in the world to NY. We, as you know, are not interested in profits it's all about the scene. So with that in mind we came up with the Twilo card. How does it work? Well you don't actually get in cheaper than a list, but you don't have to wait in line to get in. Fantastic, I here you cry, thank you Twiloboss (kiss, kiss, kiss) I here you scream. There have been rumors that when everybody gets them that you won't have to wait in the normal line, but you will have to wait in a Twilo card line. But hey the Twilo card line is a much cooler line to wait in. Also the roumors that the card will be scrapped in 4 months are untrue as well, it's just another government ploy to close us down. Remember we (Twilo inc) don't get anything out of this, it's all about you.

Secondly I would like to remind you of our new club in London. Yes those smelly breathed English get to share in our little club. There will be a joint London-NY Twilo card coming soon that allows 25c off entry to both clubs at the bargain price of $100. And yes the club will be bigger than my ego, but only just!

Lastly look out for www.Twiloboss.com you will be able to see pictures of me and talk on the twiloboss message board. Also twiloboss merchandize will be available, from T-shirts to twiloboss vibrators for you girls.

Just remember when you can't afford the price at the door.. suck it up.