Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any recovering Goths in the house?

never been into goth - when did you get into that? What happened to all the darkness?

I can't see the guy who takes pictures of his dog with a blue wig on and posts it ever really being into that scene!!

------------------

I put forth a generall inclination of all mankind, a perpetuall and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. Hobbes

crobra.bmp

i use to be gothic..hard core manson head baby..still like manson, but not gothic anymore. loved it while it lasted cwm13.gif

------------------

cathat3.gif

"How did it get so late so soon?

It's nite before it's afternoon.

December is here before it's June.

My goodness how the time has flewn.

How did it get so late so soon?"- Dr. Seuss

Well Goth when I was a Goth was different than today..no Marylin Manson or stuff like that..

I'm talking 1988-89.

There was alot of meening behind the music back then..more poetic and it was a HUUUGGE underground movement kinda like the electronic scene use to be only a couple of years ago. (Before everything blew up)

Listen to Oakie's "another world"..all those "chanty" samples are off of Dead can dance and the soundtrack of Gladiator (which is Lisa Gerard from DCD)

Oakie's sets from that album are sprinkled with pieces of my past. Perhaps that it is why it is one of my Fav sets of his to date..(track #3 on CD 2 "song to the siren" is a remix from This Mortal Coil..one of my old school anthems from the dark era and a great series of albums.)

I use to listen to Joy Division (which ironicaly became New Order and later lead me to synth pop) Bauhaus (which later became Love and Rockets and now has worked with Deep Dish and Rabbit in the moon) The Cure (which got "happy" and release MIXED UP which made me wanna buy more "dancy" albums) etc..etc..

The truth is that I grew out of it..

got happy and kicked myself in the ass..

Put away the melodrama and began to dance!

But I think many clubers my age came from that world (I'm 28 by the way..in case you didn't guess by now) I eventualy threw out the gloom and found Ecstacy..(but grew out of that too eventualy..

then I found you guys..

And the rest was glowstickin dog posting history... cwm35.gif

------------------

Mugwumpeyes02.jpg

"Cartoons are the real deal. I think humans are the FAKES!"

[This message has been edited by mugwump (edited 04-29-2001).]

I went through a short phase of it during the beginning of HS, around 90-91, but it was too gloomy and out of sync with the rest of the entire world for me to really get into. I was into NIN (Yes, back then), Cure, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, etc. There is still a huge goth scene in Chicago right now. Strange place.

Relating to today, I love hints of goth mixed in a good house set. Nice and haunting, like:

Delerium - Innocente (Deep Dish Mix)

Trancesetters - Synergy (Glacier Mix)

VNV Nation - Kathy's song (Ferry Corsten Mix)

I was a big Manson head and still love his music (his lastet album is incredible!!!) however, I never dressed up like a Goth. I usually wear black when I go clubbing but nothing like those freak-nasty Goth chicks. I dont see a thing sexy about them.

By the way, my quote is actually Manson's; his response to why people hate you - it's not always hatred, just jealousy.

------------------

There are 2 types of people in this world...those who love you, and those who are jealous.

OK Mugz, next time I go out, i gotta bump into you. Sounds liek our CD collections are near identical.

I wasn't a Goth, but after taking the "goth Purity Test" i found out I'm 'Goth-friendly'.

Things were much dsrker in my world just a couple of years ago. and that goth-chick look still drives me wild.

------------------

...and in a mystery to be

(when time from time shall set us free)

forgetting me, remember me

-e. e. cummings

AOL IM: petrol01

I was just going through some old highschool photo albums and I freaked out!

JESUS! What was I thinking..

I looked like a cross between frickin Eddie Munster and Chris Katen from SNL when he does Goth Talk..Ewwwwwww...Dark and glooooomy!

Any one here an Ex-doom and gloomer?

Any "gravers" in the house that still cant shake the darkness out of themselves yet?

I ocassionally still throw on some classic Dead can Dance and This Mortal coil..

But I always need the beats!

THAT Damn Techno brought the light back into my darkness! Any one else....?

------------------

Mugwumpeyes02.jpg

"Cartoons are the real deal. I think humans are the FAKES!"

Bump Petrol.

I just found out that New Order will actualy be touring in this summers Moby Pallooza shin dig with Oakie and an entire rosster of mixed music.

Now if they could dig up Ian curtis from the grave and use him as a DJ it could be a full reunion!

( note: Ian curtis killed himself..he use to be the lead of Joy Divison which is why New Order where formed.)

------------------

Mugwumpeyes02.jpg

"Preposterous ASS! That never read so far to know the cause why music was ordained! Was it not to refresh the mind of man, after his studies, or his usual PAIN?

-Shakespear

Originally posted by mugwump:

Bump Petrol.

he use to be the lead of Joy Divison which

is one of the best bands ever. Though short-lived, Ian had (has) such an impact on music, I can't even begin to list the ones that should be thankful for him (them). Ask anyone from Nirvana to Primal Scream to Digweed and they'd all agree.

------------------

Can you feel that rhythm moving through your system?

Ha! I still play my old goth records..... I will always keep my dark side no matter what but, I don't think I can pick up those goth dresses & the make up again. I always try to combine both when I spin)))) try Diamanda Galas w/ Autechre that's sum wicked shit or with sum drum & bass even betta. Gravers to the GRAVE FOREVER right here>>>>>

Mug you should check out one of my cd's you'll like))))) when I'm done with it I'll throw you a copy okey! lot's goth stuff mixed in with modern beats even sum punk you'll like> I live for Joy Division till this day it's my favorite band.... + New Order's older stuff is of the hook>>> YES slowly but, surely I have learned to cope with "THE TRAGEDY" so far so good meeee happy graver al right!

i see what u mean..........i was not ever a goth but a metal head that dressed like a skater i too looked at my h.s year book last week i looked like a thug/hardcore/metalhead. although the spirit still remains! inside of me....ny hardcore/ metal listener but eletronic music took over just a last summer and i love it so far cwm7.gif

------------------

farrah-

the scariest thing i ever heard was that george michael said joy division was the greatest influence on his music. umm, i kinda thought 'faith' sounded an awful lot like 'atrocity exhibition' with a little 'atmosphere' thrown in.

anyone ever see that great photo of ian sitting on that speaker with his head in his hand? always wanted to put that up but never thought people would appreciate it.

mugwump, i've actually thought about the same sort of stuff (JD to new order to dance music). strange- how often does that happen. i forgive your dog for constantly posting.

i'd actually extend your timeline even further- during the acid house manchester scene in the 80's, you had oaky mixing a lot of the happy mondays' stuff ('step on' jumps to mind). and from the manchester scene, there came the shoegazer scene with curve. and curve, of course, had PVD remix their 'chinese burn' song from their forgettable 'come clean' album.

funny how the world works.

OK... you gotta check out "Rock and the Pop Narcotic".

I forget the author, and I"ve only skimmed it, but it seems to be a pretty comprehensive overview of rock music and how it got to where it got circa 1990.

------------------

...and in a mystery to be

(when time from time shall set us free)

forgetting me, remember me

-e. e. cummings

AOL IM: petrol01