Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What is the point of life?

OK, since I'm here at school and school sucks and I'm blasted right now....here's my reply. Since history goes in cycles (I'm a history major, I like this stuff), the ultimate purpose of humankind is to once again regain the lost paradise of Adam and Eve (if you believe in that stuff). And the way to fulfill this is by being kind and honest to each other. Once everyone is pure and honest to each other, only then will we all live in peace together. This will probably never happen....but it's all theoretical anyway.....and other cultures believe in ideas like this too. What about the escape from samsara (time), for example, in Hinduism, stating that you must first fulfill your role on earth and then you can finally escape the chains of human time once and for all.....whatever, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about right now. If other people think CT sucks let me hear it!!

Originally posted by aemoc:

OK, since I'm here at school and school sucks and I'm blasted right now....here's my reply. Since history goes in cycles (I'm a history major, I like this stuff), the ultimate purpose of humankind is to once again regain the lost paradise of Adam and Eve (if you believe in that stuff). And the way to fulfill this is by being kind and honest to each other. Once everyone is pure and honest to each other, only then will we all live in peace together. This will probably never happen....but it's all theoretical anyway.....and other cultures believe in ideas like this too. What about the escape from samsara (time), for example, in Hinduism, stating that you must first fulfill your role on earth and then you can finally escape the chains of human time once and for all.....whatever, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about right now. If other people think CT sucks let me hear it!!

CONNECTICUT SSSSUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSSS!

where do u go to school? i hate it because everytime i have to drive back up to school (from nj to rhode island) I-95 in connecticut is like Bloody Hell!!!

the road is terrible, there are barely any rest stops on I-95 in Conn.. i'm like WTF! i wanna bomb it, and make connecticut an island... but other than that.. hey man, you're pretty thoughtful when u're blasted.. nice theory, really..

point to life? we will never know if there is one or not. simple as that. i think people just make up theories to comfort them and give them direction and purpose in their lives.. in other words, they Say that there's a point to life to Have a point in life.. maybe there is one, and maybe there's not.. i want to believe that there is a point to life and whatever that is, i hope i find out someday. or i'll be Really Pissed.

lol..

cwm38.gif , Daniela

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

"Music is well said to be the speech of Angels."

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

AoL: MAReLuNa

Very true, Daniela,....the idea of having a point to life is very comforting and I'm not educated enough to say whether this belief exists in all cultures.....I'd be curious to find out though.....Damn it, you made me think philosophically on a Fri night (J/K, it's kinda fun).....and by the way, I go to school in New London, CT, I'm a senior and I'm counting down the days until graduation!!

I think I know the answer to this question:

life--our physical existence--is basically schooling for our souls, here we're presented with the most difficult challenges so that in enduring and solving them, we grow spiritually--

through our trials we learn things such as uncondiotional love, acceptance, etc

this is why life seems so shitty so many times---it's because we're basically being tested

depending how we pass these lessons, our soul grows and we're better prepared for a spiritual life. cwm12.gif

what is the point of life? who knows anymore... i love aemoc's theory and no, you are not a dork.... biggrin.gif

according to frued, "all that matters is love and work"

anyone agree? is there anything beyond love and work, or it that the extent of life?

------------------

the secret of being a bore is to tell everything ~vOLTAIRE

0612.jpg

Originally posted by musicbeat:

I think I know the answer to this question:

life--our physical existence--is basically schooling for our souls, here we're presented with the most difficult challenges so that in enduring and solving them, we grow spiritually--

through our trials we learn things such as uncondiotional love, acceptance, etc

this is why life seems so shitty so many times---it's because we're basically being tested

depending how we pass these lessons, our soul grows and we're better prepared for a spiritual life. cwm12.gif

doh! i screwed up my post somehow.. well anyways, i meant to say that your statement here, answers not the question asked, which is "what is the point to life" but rather, it answers "what is life?" if you meant that the answer to "what is the point of life" is to school our souls.. says who? what if i don't wanna take my soul to school, so to speak (yes i'm playing devil's advocate here) who said that that was the point to life?

muaahahahahahah you fell into my philosophical trap.. "schooling our souls" can be just another way to make a point in life for security when there really is none..

bam.

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

"Music is well said to be the speech of Angels."

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

AoL: MAReLuNa

[This message has been edited by mareluna (edited 02-24-2001).]

there really is none..

bam.

the girl got a head on her shoulders!

well i would love to say that the point of life is death - and beyond - kinda our only common destination - but the problem is that what i've observed there is NO end - only the beginning - so when we finish - we end up at the beginning again - not at the end and so on frown.gif makes me so sad to realize that there is no destination - no point - nothing - just chaotic actions of mindless people - be happy and you will make this universe a happier place -that is the only way TO GARANTEE addition of love to this god-forsaken place

LIFE SUX

-enjoy!

cwm41.gif

------------------

cwm29.gif Unbound getting UNWOUND

K alwayscomesbac K

Unbound(Logo).gif

TëMA

AIM: ZUinc2000

Originally posted by Unbound:

ok i just realized that i described that bill murray movie groundhogs day - so i take all my philosophys back - biggrin.gif

LOL!

Here's my dve kopeiki: For humanity as a whole, life is pointless and meaningless. We're here because of a bunch of random chemical reactions. Our lives have no more importance than those of monkeys. Every thought we have, every action we take is a result of Skinnerism, instinct and the hereditaty chemistry of our brains. Our own arrogance keeps us from accepting that we're all temporary and that our individual lives have less impact on the whole than that of an ant in a colony. We feel the need to justify our own existence in preparation for some continuation of our consciousness after we expire. While the human mind is capable of imagining almost anything, its greatest limitation is that it can't fathom the end of it's own existence.

The true path to happiness and inner peace is accepting our own insignificance. Most people meander through life consumed with a need to "make a difference" and to find a greater meaning. As soon as one realizes that such pursuits are a waste of time, one can happily spend the rest of the brief time we have here on more important things...like going clubbing and doing drugs.

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

the one amazing thing about meanings in life is that they are so fleeting ... I have had meanings, many of them, but many have come and gone ... they do not necessarily stay for very long.

I just think it`s a way of keeping ourselves busy ... for as it goes, humans have highly evolved brains, too evolved in some situations where we find ourselves sitting next to a computer, or watching tv, and discover that we have nothing to do so we must ponder the nature of existence.

Originally posted by translucent:

LOL!

Here's my dve kopeiki: For humanity as a whole, life is pointless and meaningless. We're here because of a bunch of random chemical reactions. Our lives have no more importance than those of monkeys. Every thought we have, every action we take is a result of Skinnerism, instinct and the hereditaty chemistry of our brains. Our own arrogance keeps us from accepting that we're all temporary and that our individual lives have less impact on the whole than that of an ant in a colony. We feel the need to justify our own existence in preparation for some continuation of our consciousness after we expire. While the human mind is capable of imagining almost anything, its greatest limitation is that it can't fathom the end of it's own existence.

The true path to happiness and inner peace is accepting our own insignificance. Most people meander through life consumed with a need to "make a difference" and to find a greater meaning. As soon as one realizes that such pursuits are a waste of time, one can happily spend the rest of the brief time we have here on more important things...like going clubbing and doing drugs.

Very, very true... and well put smile.gif

Also what somebody said about meanings are atributed to life because lots of people NEEDS to have some reason or a point to it all.

But to take it back to basics, the meaning of life is to reproduce, that is what ALL living organisms are about. You have tree's that shed their seeds at a certain time of year so that a specific bird will pick them up and spread the seeds. You have animals that travel half way arround the world to mate and die.

Why need a reason when the world IS so amazing?

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately and what I've concluded is there's not single purpose to life. We each have to find something to hold on to, this something that gives us the will to live and better our lives. For me, I think the purpose of my life is to strive to become the person that I've always wanted to be - this imagine of who I am. Along the way, I hope to live a full life with my family ... not just people from my past but also the people I choose to have in my life in the present and hope to have in the future. I think life presents you with different challenges and dilemas that shape and mold the person you become, and as adults we take on the responsibility of nurture ourselves and molding the person, the life that we want to have. Just my opinion... smile.gif

------------------

Work like you don't need the money,

Love like you have never been hurt,

Dance like nobody is watching.

Originally posted by translucent:

i don't usually talk about my worldview with people because it's a very strong, unpleasant one. i stopped seeing my therapist when she refused to listen to it - she barely even let me get started because she said i was "sick" and "not a person yet." well, i guess that's another story, because she was, and most likely still is, more fucked up than i am.

anyway, it's really refreshing to hear that translucent is on my wavelength where my feelings on life are concerned. basically i feel that we are all just biding our time till we die. the reason why freud said that all that matters is love and work is related to my theory:

that in order to survive one needs to keep oneself occupied with "happy distractions."

so that's my feeling on the meaning of life. and i know it may sound sad, but to me all that happiness is is just a distraction from the sadness that is life.

but i'd appreciate it if people wouldn't respond to this post by saying that i'm wrong, etc., etc., because nobody's right. and i thank you guys for this forum, 'cause i can't tell this to anybody else.

Originally posted by weyes:

i don't usually talk about my worldview with people because it's a very strong, unpleasant one. i stopped seeing my therapist when she refused to listen to it - she barely even let me get started because she said i was "sick" and "not a person yet." well, i guess that's another story, because she was, and most likely still is, more fucked up than i am....

BAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, I wouldn't say that "happiness is just a distraction from the sadness that is life" but rather a state reached by avoiding the distraction of meaningfullness. I've had life kick the shit out of me enough times to realize that there isn't a greater reason for anything that occurs. It's simple cause and effect or random probability...Chaos theory at its finest.

Nevertheless, being alive is better than being dead. That happens to be a biological axiom preprogrammed into all living things (except for some humans and lemmings). Given the inescapable fact that our lifetime is limited, I would much rather enjoy what little of it I have left than to ponder its meaning. I would much rather appreciate what I have and what I love than to gripe about what I'll never grasp or understand.

The clock is ticking...pass the bong.

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

Life is beyond "having a point." It's a connundrum of everything you can possibly imagine. Life is organic, and living, just as nature and this earth. One's life is part of that big, living picture, which also has no point to it.

Accepting that is the most praise-worthy thing that any individual can do. It is more respectable than any critique of what

the "point" of life may be. Viewing life as if it has a "point" only makes it harder to live, and such a hindrance shouldn't be placed on something so natural.

Aemoc - interesting idea. But, it sounds impossible. isn't like the hardcore drug user (coke, h) that spends the rest of their life trying to recapture that first high? they never can, regardless of what they do.

Since we are a society that maintains our history, we can never return to innocence because all of our errors and those of our ancestors are documented. So, the return to innocence (for society as a whole), is impossible.

But, when we blow our shit up or a meteor toasts us, we (not necessarily humans or earthpeople, but anywhere in the universe), will perhaps get another chance to start fresh.

no opinions to register on CT at this time.

Originally posted by aemoc:

------------------

DM

foto_nova_lahev.jpg

youch, that's not such a happy thought. glass half full or half empty?

the point of life is to satisfy yourself. you can do that a million ways: becoming the you you've dreamed of, surving a higher power, partying you ass off, being a compassionate member of society, however you define it. and, it can be a combo of traits give the context of your life.

But, to answer the bigger question, there is no purpose to life. it just happened to us, and now we have to deal with us. that's sort of the 'why are we here' question that we like to ponder after smokin' one too many bong hits. ;-)

that in order to survive one needs to keep oneself occupied with "happy distractions."

so that's my feeling on the meaning of life. and i know it may sound sad, but to me all that happiness is is just a distraction from the sadness that is life.

------------------

DM

foto_nova_lahev.jpg