Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What Is YOUR Definition of TRENDY?

Originally posted by kaspah:

trendy to me is doing your own thing and not caring what anyone else thinks of you. trying to act like someone your not is the worst feeling in the world l;

Umm.. I think what youjust said is exact opposite of what I would have said... No drama - I just don't feel like typing it all, so I'll just say "Yeah - the opposite of what was just said".. lol

Seriously though, I think "trendy" reflects pretention, often encompassing tendencies toward superiority complexes. Trendy people are the ones who will wear something one day and see you wearing it the next and will make a face and say "That look is SO five minutes ago..." -- or might just make a snide comment. YUCK.

Trendy unfortunately tends to denote self-centered, nose in the air, "plastic" people who are often obnoxious and posess the personality of a marble.

*phew* I'll stop now...

- meli -

------------------

meli.jpg

"This is not political - it's just that I demand attention when I walk into the room..." -- Nelly Furtado

AIM: MeliChaCha

I think TRENDY is such a silly word..you can use this word in soo many different ways..in a negative light or a postive one...

I once had an ex tell me he thought i was "too trendy" ...whatever that means..

But then again if im describing someone's clothing I like i might use the term "trendy" ..

So now that im blabbing on...its just a WORD that can be used in so many different ways its hard to explain what exactly it means..

DOES that make sense??? lol

------------------

Dont ever stop smiling-->you never know who is falling in love with your smile...

I dont cry because it ENDED--> I smile because we HAPPENED..

I think just because someone is or thinks they are "trendy" doesn't mean that they are snobby, they just have a taste for cutting edge fashion. They may read magazines such as Vogue, Elle or Baazar and keep current on the fashion idustry. In this day in age, the so-called trend points more and more towards individualism, not conformity. Did anyone happen to see or hear about Fall 2001 Fashion week? Reporters and Columnists alike could not point toward any several specific trends. While there may be some recurring themes, colors, etc., the underlying theme was that every designer was uniquely different. SO, my definition of TRENDY, (right now) = Individualism.

trendy. hmmmmm..... b2b summed it up pretty nicely. i wear whateva the hell i want to, no matter if its "in" or not. ya dont like what im wearing, then dont LQQK at me! yea while its nice to own a few trendy pieces, i usually like to be different and not wear what everyone else is. its nice being different, unique. if its ugly, i wear it! its usually the ugliest things on display that i buy & love!

------------------

" Music is a universal language. Where speech fails, then music begins. It is the natural medium for the expression of our emotions - the art that expresses in tones our feelings which are too strong & too deep to be expressed in words"

Charles W. Landon

"Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she can conquer the world"- Marilyn Monroe

whoops double post

------------------

" Music is a universal language. Where speech fails, then music begins. It is the natural medium for the expression of our emotions - the art that expresses in tones our feelings which are too strong & too deep to be expressed in words"

Charles W. Landon

"Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she can conquer the world"- Marilyn Monroe

[This message has been edited by sugar_n_spice (edited 03-16-2001).]

Originally posted by mugwump:

H&M,Gap,Urban Outfitters..cowboy hats,Diesel Jeens,Cargoes...ok MANHATTEN!

H&M: not trendy

Gap: lmao

Urban Outfitters: If you look past all the crap

Cowboy hats: again, lmfao

Diesel jeeeeeeens (Jeans)...ok w/ that one

Cargoes: still lmfao

Manhattan...doesnt seem like you've ever been there.

------------------

"The world is a better place because of those who refuse to believe they can't

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

I go places,I interact...

(What places?)

Certain, clubs. Like, Paradise. It's not bad.

It's just that feeling when you can take your shirt off and really dance. When the music owns you. Do you understand?

Originally posted by gravity:

H&M: not trendy

Gap: lmao

Urban Outfitters: If you look past all the crap

Cowboy hats: again, lmfao

Diesel jeeeeeeens (Jeans)...ok w/ that one

Cargoes: still lmfao

Manhattan...doesnt seem like you've ever been there.

Um..ok dude whatever. I work in the West village and if i have to see another: H&M wearing 80's wannabe Madonna cowboyhat diesel tight nut huggin retro Diesel Jean wearin' Urban outfitter's tinted sunglasses (with the heart diamonds) trend mongers.. I'll puke. Where are YOU? Jersey?

You obviously DO NOT KNOW HOW TO READ...I clearly stated that those things are not trendy...which they aren't...they are either played out or just common, casual shit. Know the distincion son. NJ? I'd have to say no. Ya better ask somebody kid.

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

It's just that feeling when you can take your shirt off and really dance. When the music owns you. Do you understand?

[This message has been edited by gravity (edited 03-16-2001).]

Originally posted by mugwump:

..I clearly stated that those things are not trendy...which they aren't...

OH..ok I'm glad you cleared that up for me!

Phew! I feel so much better knowing all the "hipster" Village kids are NOT trendy.

(whatever...snicker..)

Cowboy hats, $2 wanabee cool sunglasses, and the GAP are NOT FUCKING TRENDY.

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

?

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

A trend is something that goes away as quickly as it came. So a trendy person just jumps on every bandwagon as it happens.

Trendy = Fasion Victim

Trendy = No imagination

Trandy = No origionality

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Originally posted by back2basics-:

A trend is something that goes away as quickly as it came. So a trendy person just jumps on every bandwagon as it happens.

Trendy = Fasion Victim

Trendy = No imagination

Trandy = No origionality

But can they spell? wink.gif

------------------

=)

reginadp121@aol.com

trendy seems to be what the media makes it to be. (ie. we are trendy because we are part of the "elite" club scene that seems to show up in Ford Focus commercials, Kenneth Cole subway ads, Twix commercials)

I have a friend who works in the accessory design industry, and she was telling me there are whole careers based on people who are trend predictors...they create "lookbooks" that companies pay thousands of dollars to see. (Advertising agencies, fashion designers, magazines) to discover what's "hot" and to bite off of other peoples designs.

These are all good "definitions"...but what places/scenes/etc do you think are trendy?

People might think Exit is trendy because they've never been to Spa...people might think Spa is trendy because they've never been to Lotus...people might think Lotus is trendy because they've never been to..... and it goes on and on. So, is trendy something that you are a part of or something that you want to be a part of. This goes for fashion too...

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

Originally posted by kaspah:

trendy to me is doing your own thing and not caring what anyone else thinks of you. trying to act like someone your not is the worst feeling in the world l;

In a perfect world that makes sense...but that is not what trendy is, even by definition...that is more along the lines of free spirited and independant.

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)