Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wax or Cd? what do you prefer to spin?

Is there a difference for you? Would you be turned off if you went to a party and you see the DJ spinning CD's? I just got into an argument with a good friend of mine that spins. He claims it will always be Vynil but the way I see it technology could just as well turn two lap tops and a mixer into the new DJ set. Ever check out the new CD mixers that scratch and sample? Some of them hold wicked potential. Seems to be the future for DJs could very well be found in a Burned CD full of what use to be 12" tracks. Slip a Cd in and why have to continue to dig through the "stacks of wax"? Just mix and loop off of two tables and have more control than ever with a set! And yet there is something so nostalgic about vynil isn't there..? I don't know. What do you guys think? Is there room for both tools in the DJ booth? Any DJ's out there with strict preferences?

WAX WAX WAX..

Yeh these CD mixers do everything but mix for you (and that won't be much longer). But that's exactly it it takes ALL the fun out of it.

To mix on CD is totally different you don't use the same tecniques. For me it's no fun.

BTW there is a NEW way, a third way. There is a product called final scratch that sit's on your 1's & 2's and as you move the fake record it manipulates MP3's to sound the same as a real record would. So you still mix and scratch in the same way, but you could walk in to the club with a single CD worth of MP3's instead of your bloody heavy records..

But there again MP3's loose some of the base so it's probably more for home use.

Richie Hawtin is pushing it, i think he helped with the development.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

I love the feel of vinyl too much. Not into pushing buttons. It's cool to be able to burn tracks onto CD to mix things up but Vinyl is #1 for me.

------------------

------------------------

I'm a slut...I make love to music every night

The latest NuMark cd mixer does beatsync for you...i saw it on CNN.com a few weeks ago...pretty impressive actually, if you try to think about how something like that was developed. i think it was 2 decks and the beatsync thing witha mixer for 899.

------------------

------

AIM:Turbo SC300

------

seeing a dj spin recoprds as oppoese to a cd just gives off a much better vibe. there is nothing wrong with spinning cd's but i love seeing someone work the table and the vinyl, looks more intense

------------------

TWILO'S WACK !!!! Sorry guys it is

"don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat coming around the corner"

Robert Deniro

AIM:MSOPRANO13

Email: msoprano13@yahoo.com

Ganster-01.gif "IM GONNA MAKE YOU AN OFFER YOU CANT REFUSE" MSOPRANO13

Guest crystalmethodny

Vinyl also has a 'warmer' sound to it, so everyone states.

There already is an actual MP3 mixer/computer thing out there already, I believe its manufactured by DJPower.

------------------

"Can you feel it?"

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

CrystalMethodNYC@aol.com

www.extremegroove.com

<-----NOT a DJ, just thought I'd say that before anyone rips off my head for making a silly an uneducated statement. biggrin.gif

Wouldn't spinning CD's give you more control and make the sets a little bit more perfect? Also, imagine spinning 4 or even 5 cd's with different tracks simultaneously. Wouldn't that be easier w/ Cd because u can have a CD cued. Just preprogram your cdplayer to identify which are your favorite tracks off that particular cd and it cues it up and waits for your go.

Maybe I just want dj's to spin like what they produce at studios. Which isn't possible with just 2 decks and a mixer. Cd's would free up a bit of time for DJ's to mess with the panning of sounds around the club and to add in echo or other special "effects". Imagine....2 songs playing seperately but equally as loud, one from the right channel and the other from the left. Then the DJ starts to center both tracks to create a true "mix" of sorts. I think I would ROCK as a dj. heheheheh

------------------

..The judge said: "Son, what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't have to die." Well I said not a word. Though it meant my life, for I'd been in the arms of my best friends wife.

“Be off, you wretch!” cried Aramis, throwing his skullcap in his face. “Return whence you came; take back those horrible vegetables, and that poor kickshaw! Order a larded hare, a fat capon, mutton leg dressed with garlic, and four bottles of old Burgundy.”

twilo.jpg

As a DJ just starting out in the last year, I prefer wax. It allows a DJ to show their skill as a mixer and properly manipulate the record and table. Using CD, takes alot of fun out of it. But if there's an unrealesed track that the only way to use it is by burning it onto CD, then use a cd occasionally.

Wax is the best to use in my opinion.

------------------

Double-Down

[*] double-down@mad.scientist.com

It is not death if you refuse it...

The Crow (The original graphic novel)

I see..Vynil it IS..Well how about DJ's/Producers that don't "SPIN" but actually MAKE music on stage (BT,HYBRID, CHRYSTAL MEATHOD ETc..) are they NON acceptable to the club crowd? How about someone that just clicks on a computer like "scanner"? Is HE not an artist..No Vynil! Just wondering.....