Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Saturday Danny Howell Review

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by deanna11:

i don't get it. someone want to say how Danny Howells was??

what she said.....lol and in any case if a boy is busting moves and wants a piece of the champ just tell "don't touch what you can't afford" and drift off thru the dance floor wink.gif

------------------

"At the peak of tremendous and victorious effort, while the blood is pounding in your head, all suddenly comes quiet within you. Everything seems clearer and whiter than ever before, as if great spotlights had been turned on. At that moment, you have the conviction that you contain all the power in the world, that you are capable of everything, that you have wings. There is no more precise moment in life than this, the WHITE MOMENT, and you will work hard for years, just to taste it again.''Yuri Vlason. -----------PM sux email is better-------> boa_boy@yahoo.com hapfac01.gif

no need for bickering, he ain't for everyone prettymuch sums it up. and just cuz you close the place out doesn't have anything to do with patience. all i can say is, pvd is back soon cwm25.gif and if yuou didn't get into this danny, you got no shot of enjoying yourself with the real danny...

------------------

I'm a necromancer...

Originally posted by p00h:

and just cuz you close the place out doesn't have anything to do with patience

LoL....its us, you know better....Shaddup

**grins**

------------------

blacksunrising2.gif

Hope breeds life, lose your dreams and you'll die

I'm not jumping into this little bytch-match but do want to express my own opinion. Danny was just 'ok' for me. He didn't blow my socks off by any means but he did have some nice funk goin on. I will say that I agree w/a few other peeps here regarding his builds. It felt like he was building to something but then it never went anywhere.

Either way I'd go see him again. It sounds like he was trying out some new stuff - which wasn't all bad. He's definitely got skilz...maybe it was just an off night.

Originally posted by p00h:

no need for bickering, he ain't for everyone prettymuch sums it up. and just cuz you close the place out doesn't have anything to do with patience.

Putting up with you is patience enough... muahahahahhah...

------------------

Forget the dreams... what you need is a good nightmare to bring you back to reality...

ezlogo1.gif

I had a great time on Saturday cwm35.gif . Considering I didn't give Howells (sorry but I know only ONE Danny tongue.gif),a fair chance the last time he was in town (I was a lil pre-occupied wink.gif) I finally gave him a chance and actually liked his set. Alas, yes at times I thought he was a lil subdued (as if holding back) but he did make it up for the last couple of tracks he played...I did end up meeting him while Junior was on and he is awfully nice. Well thats my lil commentary and I look forward to checking him out in Miami!!! cwm27.gif

-Jamms

------------------

Wo ist die Partei? face50.gif

AIM: ynicholas

i liked danny' set, not as good as jan. i wish it was a little harder in the beginning, but thats about it. i thought there were a few instances where he was going to let loose, then chilled it out, but whatever, he delivered when it counted.

it's impossible for him to duplicate what he did in january, so to bring that up is unrealistic expectation.

------------------

party with a heart on

Originally posted by mel-o-d:

What the heck is happening to the vibe? Not just at Twilo last Saturday but here as well and amongst friends? Ehhh ...

in the immortal words of a wise man, 'drugs are bad'

------------------

I'm a necromancer...

Originally posted by lextacy:

And whats up with the guy in the rainbow shorts (jean shorts earlier in the night) walking around holding glow necklaces in front of him and making shapes?

He's a regular. I've seen him there every time I'd gone on a Saturday.

------------------

it's funny until somebody gets hurt. and then it's even funnier.

Originally posted by myrlin:

My unhappiness came purely because of the music. The only thing I noticed about the crowd until later on was that it seemed much ruder than usual...Even though there was alot of space, I got bumped into WAY to damned much. Thats a large pet peeve for me......

Plus I like when a DJ builds up....keeps the intensity....builds more.....keeps it....etc. Continually bringing it back mellow isnt my style.

I've noticed that the crowd on Saturdays is more rough/tainted. It can be good-but doesn't hold the vibe Saturdays do. I've been bumbed up pretty badly-I just can't compete with those huge Chelsea boys

cwm1.gif

------------------

As I dance I create my own language... with every beat of my heart is the music I will dance through life to.

Originally posted by spoonyd:

wow - that was pretty much uncalled for.

Spoony D!

Yeah, he's missing my point, mind you I'm trying to keep it as "drama-free" as I can...but my point is that there is no "hype" around Danny Tenaglia because he is not new to our city like Howells...he's proven himself time and time again, year after year, maybe if you came to Vinyl on a Friday night to check him out, you would understand what everyone's talking about. I think its funny that so many people are just discovering him now just cause he played Twilo last month! Wake up!!!

------------------

Burning...burnnnning...

Originally posted by Abstrakt:

Spoony D!

Yeah, he's missing my point, mind you I'm trying to keep it as "drama-free" as I can...but my point is that there is no "hype" around Danny Tenaglia because he is not new to our city like Howells...he's proven himself time and time again, year after year, maybe if you came to Vinyl on a Friday night to check him out, you would understand what everyone's talking about. I think its funny that so many people are just discovering him now just cause he played Twilo last month! Wake up!!!

he just gets mad when the music isn't between 180-210 bpms, cuz then the timing on his glowstick show gets thrown off... cwm42.gif

------------------

My Eyes! The googlez do nozing...

Personally, I thought his set was not as hard as the Jan one, but he still ended up banging it the last couple of hours.

My first time hearing Junior, and all I have to say is HOLY SHIT!!! Maybe (from what I've heard) this was a record performance, but he built for like 1/2 hour after coming on and then played the HARDEST, darkest progressive house I've ever heard!!! He must have been at least twice as hard as Danny's closing!

I was with some women and dancing outside the powerbar, so the crowd didn't bother me much.

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

Nietzche

1) Danny Howells' Set

There is no wrong opinion. Here's mine: In general terms, this set was not as "baggin'" as in January. It was definitely a slower build, and the peaks/climaxes were not as high. He picked it up more towards the end, but compared to his last set, and the last 2 Lawler sets, it was not as fast or hard.

HOWEVER...do I want to go to Twilo and be taken on the same journey every time? I enjoyed what Howells did this time very much. Like Pooh said, evil dark sounds, trippy vocals, and most importantly, CHUNKY ASS BASSLINES perforated through the night. That's the direction music is gong, IMHO.

2) Saturday Crowd/Vibe...Mafia at Twilo?

I agree with all those who said there has been a change. Back in the day (well ok, just a few months ago), Sat. nights were great, both before and after 6am/Junior. Yesterday, I was walking in, and it hit me...for some reason, it seemed like the Sound Factory crowd was INVADING Twilo. I shouldn't be making generalizations, but you know what I mean. The people who bump you and don't say sorry.

Also, I noticed, especially getting closer to Junior time, a certain mafia element started appearing. I won't mention any names of mafias, but you know who I mean (or will know soon enough when they rudely push you away from a spot you were dancing in and say it's theirs). You can't miss'em...sketchy Euro apes in track suits. I really hope they don't start invading pre-6am Sat. and Fridays...

3) Junior after Howells

Sometimes, Junior makes me stay, sometimes he drives me away. This time, he made me stay. Some really nice non-vocal non-cheese tribal stuff fit nicely after Howells. I stayed there 2 extra hours, 1 of which after I had gotten my jacket. Great music, but wow, for some reason, it didn't seem like the regular crowd. The gay guys were there, but again, so were the mafia types.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

------------------

furnace.gif

Yikes kids, lets play nice shall we?

Howells isn't for everybody. I personally had a fantastic time. I wished he had built up a bit earlier but other than that, I had a ball.

Now one thing I'm gonna bop all of ya for who complained about it is "getting hit on by the Chelsea boys." Jees, a simple "I'm straight" works. Now you have a taste of what its like to be female. If we can handle it from you boys, you can handle it too. <winks>

Pity many of you didn't stay for Junior's set. He was playing it real hard and real deep for HOURS. Amazing. Don't let the boys scare you from enjoying the good tunes. :-)

EZ, take it as a compliment! Means yer a cutie! That bunch is REAL picky ;-)

-Oo

------------------

ooana.gif

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"I heard of a man that says words so beautiful that if he only speaks their name, women give themselves to him.

If I am dumb by your body while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips it is because I hear a man climb the stairs and clear his throat outside our door." - Leonard Cohen

Oo...you are a Sat. night regular.

Have you noticed any transformation of the crowd that some of us have noticed.

It's not a major overt thing...yet. Very subltle. It's still mostly gay, and the gay guys are cool. It's the other "element" that I'm referring to.

Oh well, just wondering.

Thanx.

------------------

furnace.gif

Originally posted by ooana:

EZ, take it as a compliment! Means yer a cutie! That bunch is REAL picky ;-)

Hmmm... now that you put it in this light... I AM kinda flattered...

It's all good... they're a good bunch anyway...

------------------

Forget the dreams... what you need is a good nightmare to bring you back to reality...

ezlogo1.gif

Every saturday night is different. Things always shift and change but its not necessarily "better" or "worse"...just different. Last Saturday was definitely more straight than usual after 7am. Perhaps this was because of two things:

1. Howells spun till 6:15 rather than 5:30 which is normally when Junior comes on, keeping the crowd straighter.

2. Junior was playing much harder and deeper than he usually does till much much later. It was sick!

If by "element" you mean G, I don't think that's done anything other than fuck up the party for all of us. Its not THAT visible in terms of changing the vibe but it definitely puts that after hours party at risk and is a big pain in the ass for partiers and staff alike.

Other than that...more and more people seem to be rediscovering Junior that aren't his normal "fans" ie: gay men. So the party is getting more and more straight later into the night. But by 10am its prodominantly a gay party.

I do have to say though, nothing beats the vibe in that place (accept perhaps Vinyl) from 11am onwards. The sheer happiness in the space is unreal and VERY addictive.

Just reminds me that we don't need nothin' but the music and the people to hit that oh so amazing organic high. I hope more people realize that soon and keep the party alive and leave crap like G at home.

-Oo

Originally posted by furnace:

Oo...you are a Sat. night regular.

Have you noticed any transformation of the crowd that some of us have noticed.

It's not a major overt thing...yet. Very subltle. It's still mostly gay, and the gay guys are cool. It's the other "element" that I'm referring to.

Oh well, just wondering.

Thanx.

------------------

ooana.gif

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"I heard of a man that says words so beautiful that if he only speaks their name, women give themselves to him.

If I am dumb by your body while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips it is because I hear a man climb the stairs and clear his throat outside our door." - Leonard Cohen

hang with me next time, sweets. I'll show you the ropes. They don't call me a fairy princess for nothin' ;-)

Once you learn to accept that you don't have "I'm straight" tattooed to your forehead and these men are just looking for some fun or a partner etc...just like we ALL are, you learn to get over the discomfort REAL fast.

I've seen MANY straight men make that transformation. And once you do...you have an ABSOLUTE BLAST. Guaranteeed. ;-)

-Oo

Originally posted by ezdreamer:

Hmmm... now that you put it in this light... I AM kinda flattered...

It's all good... they're a good bunch anyway...

------------------

ooana.gif

Hey Oo...

No, I wasn't talkin' about "G". I am talking about the ****ian mafia. I've noticed groups of them hanging around, look for people like me who are just dancing in their own space to mess with.

I was dancing with at the top of the back steps minding my own businss when the three apes with track suits came up and said "Dees eez preevaat area...you go now!" and pushed me all the way to the side by the far bar. jewel44317 saw me at that spot before they pushed me out..

And they bump you on the dancefloor and don't say sorry and give you dirtly looks.

They stick out like a sore thumb, with their Euro track suits, standing there and not dancing.

Don't worry, if you haven't noticed...in fact, don't look for them. They will just ruin the good time you are having there.

One of these days, I will join you at Vinyl...

cwm12.gif

-D

------------------

furnace.gif

Originally posted by furnace:

HOWEVER...do I want to go to Twilo and be taken on the same journey every time? I enjoyed what Howells did this time very much. Like Pooh said, evil dark sounds, trippy vocals, and most importantly, CHUNKY ASS BASSLINES perforated through the night. That's the direction music is going, IMHO.

Ahhh.....an educated man..... smile.gif I'm with you on that Dennis......It has become apparent to me that Howells is a bit ahead of himself in terms of his DJing.......his sets represent somewhat of a future sound......not to say that some of what he is doing hasn't been done but to me, his style is unique and more importantly, innovative........I really think all the criticism people are giving him are things Danny intentionally does.......He proved in Jan that he has tremendous control over the crowd and the room and I don't think that, at any point during his set, if it hasn't quite built to a Sasha-like climax it's because he wants it that way.......not every set has to build to some roof-blowing explosion.......Danny was consistent all night and gave a hard departure.......watch out for him in the next year or so......he's gonna do some damage......

Mikey

------------------

"I don't want a piece....I want the whole thing....." - Bob Barker