Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who's been to SPA???

I am from Ct and coming to spend 3 nights in NYC, been to all the major clubs, Twilo, Exit, Sound Factory...my boyfried wants to go to Spa Friday night. Has anyone been there? Tell me all I need to know. Also any good ideas for Thursday night in the rain?

Originally posted by ephor:

small, upscale, 21+, exclusive and hard to get in because of small size, check it out

It wasn't exclusive. I went with a girlfriend a few months back ... it was okay. They played a mix of pop and hip-hop. There wasn't enough room to dance, it's tiny! And the guys were gross haglers. But if you're looking for a place to chill out, lounge around and look pretty, SPA is as good a place as any.

I've only been there on a Saturday. Definitely liked the music and crowd. People were dressed to impress/trendy and the DJ really mixed the music...from 80s dance to progressive house. Again, this was a Saturday, so I'm not sure what their format is for Friday.

And it's definitely tough to get into unless you're on a <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlist</A> , know someone, or get there when they open the doors.

Thumbs up from me! biggrin.gif

As for Thursday nights, try Centro Fly. Saci is supposed to be good as well.

------------------

pc.GIF

Only went there once on a Tuesday. That's when those kinda places are worth going to. Hip hop seems to be the theme there. Good looking crowd and a nice place. Lotus is your alternative if that doesn't happen, also around Union Square.

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

-Nietzsche

Originally posted by armada:

Give me a call when you plan it. I'm there! I can't believe that 'guy'. The huge bouncers were even pretty cool and almost apologetic. But I'm with you. How about a nice potato sacking and selling into white slavery upstate. I know a guy who knows a guy who owes him a favor!lol

lol, i like the potato sacking plan!

------------------

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn...Jim Morrison

the guy/girl you guys are talking about is kenny ken, a celebrity in his own mind, he used to guard the doors at life, limelight, paladium, and was the first real door person who would pick what people could come in to "his" club (before studio54), but he is well know around the clubbing community

the guy/girl you guys are talking about is kenny ken, a celebrity in his own mind, he used to guard the doors at life, limelight, paladium, and was the first real door person after the studio 54 craze who would pick what people could come in to "his" club , but he is well know around the clubbing community

Originally posted by monical:

the guy/girl you guys are talking about is kenny ken, a celebrity in his own mind, he used to guard the doors at life, limelight, paladium, and was the first real door person who would pick what people could come in to "his" club (before studio54), but he is well know around the clubbing community

Thnaks for the info. Know the name. Didn't know that was the 'legend'. Maybe he needs to realize where he's at now. I mean is there any chance that a party at Spa will be like any of the other places you mention?

That's too funny. . I had a run in if you will with that same "guy" with his huge gold hoops and red lipstick. It was the night of the VH1 fashion awards, and I wasn't aware it was a semi-private party at Spa. I was with 3 of my girlfriends, and after realizing we weren't on the list, he looked at me and said, "you and this girl I can MAYBE let in, but the other 2 definately not--they are not my scene"

As if in a million years I would diss my girls to be allowed into your "of the moment" spot. The place is cool, but it's not THAT cool.........And the owner is a dick--he swears he's Steve Robell

I was disappointed when I finally got to see Kenny Ken in person. I had seen a few editorials in magazines. From what I saw in the photos, I assumed he would be taller and a lot better dressed. Whenever I see him at Spa, he always looks so sloppy, as if he jumped in a Salvation Army bin. I just find it ironic that he's choosing the scene.

You know he must of been picked on as a child and this is his payback. wink.gif

------------------

pc.GIF

I tried to get in one saturday fairly recently. Was in line (a line of about 7 people in front of us) with my girl, three male friends and their girls. So a total of 8 of us, 4 guys and 4 girls. This freaky looking 'guy' who looked like he went overboard in his Rocky Horror audition looks at us and tells the bouncers, "There are too many guys in this group. Get them off the line." WTF? There were 4 and 4. It wasn't like it was a bunch of meatheads with their one token chick trying to get in to hit on everything that walked by. We would have gotten in if we went in as individual couples? We should have pretended we didn't know each other? Fuck that place. Head to Centro-Fly!!!

Originally posted by armada:

I tried to get in one saturday fairly recently. Was in line (a line of about 7 people in front of us) with my girl, three male friends and their girls. So a total of 8 of us, 4 guys and 4 girls. This freaky looking 'guy' who looked like he went overboard in his Rocky Horror audition looks at us and tells the bouncers, "There are too many guys in this group. Get them off the line." WTF? There were 4 and 4. It wasn't like it was a bunch of meatheads with their one token chick trying to get in to hit on everything that walked by. We would have gotten in if we went in as individual couples? We should have pretended we didn't know each other? Fuck that place. Head to Centro-Fly!!!

Dude, the same exact thing happened to me! Four and four. Ive gone back as a couple with no problem. My friend and I have an on going joke that we're gonna take that queen down!

------------------

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn...Jim Morrison

Originally posted by drfunk:

My friend and I have an on going joke that we're gonna take that queen down!

Give me a call when you plan it. I'm there! I can't believe that 'guy'. The huge bouncers were even pretty cool and almost apologetic. But I'm with you. How about a nice potato sacking and selling into white slavery upstate. I know a guy who knows a guy who owes him a favor!lol