Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hip Hop Music in Dance Clubs

I am a fan of all kinds of music from trance, house, remixed pop and even Hip hop, but seems to me when hip hop is envolved it draws a real thugish crowd. A lot of clubbers seem to enjoy some hip hop, but the true hip hop followers seem to wreak nice dance clubs, with there attitude and look. Some of the better Jersey Clubs offer almost no Hip Hop music(Joey's,Hunka Bunka,Metro,Shore Clubs). My ques: Is there a place for Hip Hop music in a good Jersey dance club?

personally, i can only handle small amounts of hip-hop at a time, but i don't think its a good idea to mix it with house/techno whatever...i was in lake george this past july 4th and there was like one club there...so we went had a good time, but they kept mixing it up like that...i was dancing and having a great time then all of a sudden, i hear DMX...not my speed...oh well

------------------

i know what i want, but it took me a long time to figure it out

isn't that why there are different rooms to listen to different types of music?? i luv hard house but hip hop is alright also! cwm34.gif

------------------

"twenty-four hours a day and 168 hours a week are yours to use - in whatever way you choose. How will you choose to use your time?" athenalust@hotmail.com

Originally posted by wuzzup:

...it draws a real thugish crowd.

...but the true hip hop followers seem to wreak nice dance clubs, with there attitude and look.

...Is there a place for Hip Hop music in a good Jersey dance club?

I think you answered your own question, and Starcapone also hit it on the head (multiple rooms with less emphasis on the HipHop).

The issue is that the owners are putting their considerable investments on the line by allowing anything which would put their license to operate at risk. Many Hip-Hop clubs/nights have the misfortune of drawing a lot of negative attention due to well publicized "incidents of violence".

Put yourself in the owner's shoes for one night and objectively ask yourself the following question: Am I more at risk of losing everything with a HipHop/Rap night or ---- (insert any other type of genre).

While I personally have no issue with any one type of music, I recognize that certain styles of music will draw certain types of crowds.

Have fun...

cwm15.gif

------------------

"Those who know, don't tell. Those who tell, don't know."

Originally posted by ancientskewl:

I think you answered your own question, and Starcapone also hit it on the head (multiple rooms with less emphasis on the HipHop).

The issue is that the owners are putting their considerable investments on the line by allowing anything which would put their license to operate at risk. Many Hip-Hop clubs/nights have the misfortune of drawing a lot of negative attention due to well publicized "incidents of violence".

Put yourself in the owner's shoes for one night and objectively ask yourself the following question: Am I more at risk of losing everything with a HipHop/Rap night or ---- (insert any other type of genre).

While I personally have no issue with any one type of music, I recognize that certain styles of music will draw certain types of crowds.

Have fun...

cwm15.gif

I agree with you and all, but it's not necessarily true. Look at Saci in NYC on Fridays. It's off da meter. They only play hip hop/house/old school that night. I've never seen a fight come out of there. Not all hip hop clubs draw trouble and negativetly. Look at the techno clubs. Thet seem to draw plenty of negative attention from all the drug use/rolling going on there. It seems that there's either someone dying or something foul going on every other month. Therefore, you can't be biased and single out hip hop.

one.

[This message has been edited by djrman (edited 01-24-2001).]

Originally posted by djrman:

...Not all hip hop clubs draw trouble and negativetly. Look at the techno clubs. Thet seem to draw plenty of negative attention from all the drug use/rolling going on there. It seems that there's either someone dying or something foul going on every other month. Therefore, you can't be biased and single out hip hop.

True, and I do agree with you. The question was whether there was a place for it in a good NJ Dance Club. Personally, I believe so but like Starcapone said: "...different rooms". And you're right about certain clubs attracting certain types of attention.

My suggestion was to view the question through an owners eyes because ultimately the music format is their decision based on what he/she believes will be the most profitable with the least risk to his/her business.

Hip/Hop Clubs do not work in all Markets. Just like Techno/Rave/Trance/Country/Rock/T-40/etc... clubs will not work in every market. I certainly did'nt mean to appear biased...I'm not.

IMO any Club (NJ or elsewhere) which has the ability to simultaneous provide more than one genre of music (through the use of multiple levels, or rooms) stands a much better chance of survival in todays market.

Hope that clears my thoughts up a bit for you.

cwm11.gif

------------------

"Those who know, don't tell. Those who tell, don't know."

I agree with all these responces, my real intrest in this topic is the club I work at. I have seen hip-hop music hurt the club a lot. It used to be a 2 room rock and dance club that changed to a 2 room hip hop and dance club. All though the people were very different rock & dance seemed to mix Ok, but when the hip hop started the crowds got smaller every nite(it was a pretty nice hip room too with a good Dj). It seemed to me that the hip hop people chased away the dance crowd. When the club was just dance or rock and dance the place would be packed and thier was almost no fights or problems, now with hip hop the place can be almost empty and their's one problem after another.