Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The term "Hispanic"

Originally posted by rparadox:

Is it just me, or is the term "hispanic" a gross over-generalization. I keep seeing the term applied to, basically, anyone who speaks spanish. It just seems odd to me. For example, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans apparently have nothing in common except for the fact that they all speak spanish, yet they are all grouped under the term "hispanic."

If I moved to Mexico, married a french woman, and my kids grew up speaking spanish, would my kids be hispanic, my wife French and I African-American? Or, since I speak English, does that make me English?

Sorry if I offended anyone, it just seems odd to me to put "hispanic" on a form that asks for your ethnicity, not your language.

I'm in 100% agreement with you here. I think the whole word is dated. Being mainly Italian and German, i'd be ethnicaly the same as many 'hispanics' from places like Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay... With more and more peeps from Central and S. America coming to the US every day, i'd just figure they'd just drop it. Don't get me started on how people ethnically identical to myself get affirmative action and leave me in the dust... cwm21.gifcwm21.gifcwm21.gif

Just my 10 cents worth...

I disagree. The term Hispanic is used just like the term Asian is used to describe peoples from all walks of life with various skin colors and cultures.

Originally posted by blondymu:

well, 'hispanic' is incorrect in refernce to anyone other than an individual from spain... 'Latino/a' is the correct trem for individuals from latin american countires, or in some cases, caribbean.

I saw a restaurant menu that title read 'hispanic food', most of the stuff under there was tacos, fajitas, ....mostly mexican food,..way wrong...

This is totally wrong. Peoples from Spain are not called Hispanic (plural Hispanics), they are called Spanish (plular Spaniards). The distinction is pretty clear.

Hispanic and latino are one and the same. Their use depends on preference.

------------------

cnycsoftcore.gif

Is it just me, or is the term "hispanic" a gross over-generalization. I keep seeing the term applied to, basically, anyone who speaks spanish. It just seems odd to me. For example, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans apparently have nothing in common except for the fact that they all speak spanish, yet they are all grouped under the term "hispanic."

If I moved to Mexico, married a french woman, and my kids grew up speaking spanish, would my kids be hispanic, my wife French and I African-American? Or, since I speak English, does that make me English?

Sorry if I offended anyone, it just seems odd to me to put "hispanic" on a form that asks for your ethnicity, not your language.

well, 'hispanic' is incorrect in refernce to anyone other than an individual from spain... 'Latino/a' is the correct trem for individuals from latin american countires, or in some cases, caribbean.

I saw a restaurant menu that title read 'hispanic food', most of the stuff under there was tacos, fajitas, ....mostly mexican food,..way wrong...

------------------

AIM: blondymu

clubnyc.jpg