Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what are your musical rootz or influence?

digital7

growing up in a rock n roll household, my dad a drummer, my uncle a guitarist, I have alot of musical influence including them. Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Doors were some classical rock influences. During the 80's while growing up with MTV like most of us have, The Police, Duran Duran, Joy Division/New Order, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode were some of mine. Now a days, James Holden, Oliver Lieb and John Graham top my list.

What are some of your musical influences?

:blown:

I love these emicons or whatever you call them

I also grew up in a musically inclined household. Although not of the rock-n-roll variety. More like latin music. My brother playing the guitar and organ, my father playing the guitar and singing, and my uncles on my fathers side singing professionaly in their country. So I definately grew up around people who were passionate about their music. As for my influences growing up, Depeche Mode is at the top of my list along with Erasure, New Order, INXS, The Cure, The Smiths/Morissey, NIN, Nitzer Ebb...

Pretty much the type of music that was played at the Kitchen club when it was located on Miami Beach. I'm kind of new to the electronic scene but, I can definately see where the music I listened to growing up shaped who my fav DJs are now. I tend to gravitate towards DJs that spin wicked, darker s**t... Anthony Pappa, Sander Kleinenberg, Sasha etc.

:afro:

D> You already know the answer to this question ;)

I grew up during the 70s in Chicago. My parents were club hoppers back then and so we listened to alot of disco and funk. They are latins as well so, YES, I LOVE Celia Cruz, la Lupe and Tito Puente.

I guess that expains why I like Chunky, Funky House music with some Latin Flavor in it . . . (or is it my 'fag hag' days that have influenced me most??? :confused: )

Originally posted by bbflux

D> You already know the answer to this question ;)

I grew up during the 70s in Chicago. My parents were club hoppers back then and so we listened to alot of disco and funk. They are latins as well so, YES, I LOVE Celia Cruz, la Lupe and Tito Puente.

I guess that expains why I like Chunky, Funky House music with some Latin Flavor in it . . . (or is it my 'fag hag' days that have influenced me most??? :confused: )

I totally relate and agree with this! Very nice bb. Deepdish is one of my fav's because of the influence. The baselines sound latin but the instruments sound like disco. Great mix!

I grew up during the 80's ....my parents I don't think ever put the radio on...but I followed my older sister .....she really was the one that put New Order, Erasure, The Cure and so many others in my plate. She also sings so I always hung around different bands and watched them play....rock music and some really groovy stuff.

These days I'm pretty tropical.....I'm into all types of music and all types of vibes......as long as it makes me feel good.

:cool:

started out listening to the music my family was into.. mostly r&b marvin gaye, gladys knight and the pips, lots of jazz ;coltrane, miles, parker, etc. slowly moved into rock pink floyd, rush, etc. made the big move to progressive rock depeche mode, cure, the fixx, psychedelic furs, echo & the bunnymen, smiths, etc. made the leap into dance music , tail end of disco, then house, techno which led me to trance, and finally to progressive and hard house which I have grown to love. I still bust out my old r&b, jazz, and progressive rock stuff. that music is timeless, and always brings a smile to my face.

good topic danny !! :)

peace, sobeton

i myself was heavily infulenced by my older brother. he was into rock 'n roll, so i listened to the police, led zep., rush, the psy. furs, the cure, echo & the bunnymen, the smiths, etc. as i grew older, i got more into hip hop. then my junior year in h.s. i started listening to dance music more...somewhat more into the electronic stuff. 808 state, autechre, sven vath, to name a few. being from miami, bass and beats were a favorite. breaks really blew up here in florida and i found myself listenin to icey, dxtreme, andy hughes, chris harshman, bruce wilcox and all the other big names. that is until i heard a dj by the name of sasha in club aazz in orlando '93. that broadened my horizon, and i opened myself towards the house scene. i don't stick to one style. i like to keep my mind open to different styles out there. too much of one thing is not good. imo.

influencial dj's I have plenty. good point that phrank and sobe pulled up. back in the ol skool Edge days, I had my first taste of what dance muzik was really like .. a sophomore in high school I was a young buck to the scene and to the muzik .. Icey, Bruce Wilcox def. were some early influence as I heard both of them there. some of the old skool Soar parties were really good if you were into the breakz.. still loving breakz, I progressed into Liquid during it's heyday and managed to hear people like David Waxman and Jo Jo Odyssey. It was my home for over a year and got to listen to alot of people spin, alot of fond memories in that place. then there was Groove Jet, my home for over a year and a half and was the catalyst for me picking up the tables. there was something about that place, something about the muzik that moved me, the vibe, everything. influencial dj's that I saw there were numerous. Dave Seaman and Luis Diaz (most influencial), Sasha & John Digweed, Quivver, Paul van Dyk, Nick Warren, so many, I can't even count. they all played a singnificant roll in my muzikal taste and development.. I owe it to them, I owe it to the muzik ....

My parents are rather young (mom 39, dad 43..i'm 22 do the math..) so I grew up exposed to a lot of 80s metal believe it or not. I'd be dumped at the babysitters so my mom and dad could check out Bon Jovi or Poison :). So I heard a lot of that. My mom liked to visit friends a lot, and they were all hardcore disco types, so I got a good dose of Barry White, the Bee Gees, Trammps, etc...

I was in a depressive funk from about 6th grade until 10th, and all's I'd comsume was hard-edged industrial tunes (nin, ministry, skinny puppy, etc..), and I'd listen to various 'rave till dawn' esque comps from time to time if they were of a harder edge. 1996 had me pick up Robert Miles' Dreamland for no real reason, and I was hooked on the soaring style of that one. I started picking up some stuff by Leftfield, Daft Punk, and some more 'accessible' electronic music...

1997 sees me move to Miami to get my overpriced degree. It was an addiction by then. Bullshitting my way into Liquid, seeing early Edgar V sets at KGB, and checking out GrooveJet and being wholly impressed by one Mr. Diaz, I was a bit of a clubbing fanatic. By the time I turned 20, I was a full blown addict, usually found at Shadow Lounge being mr. german trance fan to George Acosta, Talla, and Taucher. 99 saw me get a lot of connections, and I ended up hanging out at the newly-opened level, and later crobar, which got me on a more house-oriented kick...helping my friend do sound for Sasha and John helped a little too :). Evenings at crobar, mornings at The Mix, I spanned my likes from progressive house to the hard stuff. Right around then I started making excuses to bring my camera along, too :). For some reason, in 2000 i got hooked on sexy disco house, and picked up every robbie rivera comp I could find, and a lot of stuff off of the SFP Records label...

So basically I went from 80's hair metal--->depressing industrial dark techno--->happy trance---->hard trance---->prog. house---->sexy disco. I'll confess, I hooked up with a whole lot more girls on the sexy disco ...

• 4 years later...

Bringing it Back! but thought it has a lot of potential to this day....

Interesting insight on some of our most infamous CPers! :lol:

About my rootz,

My musical rootz and influences go all over the place. From Heavy Metal to Emo to Reggae to punk to classic rock, and the list goes on and on... It would take a whole lot of typing to list the bands and sounds that have influenced me the most, but most importantly, live performances have been my obsession. I've seen at least my top 3-5 artists in every genre I have gotten into, until I found Electronica.

Around 96 the likes of Underworld, chemical bros, prodigy, crystal method, opened the window to dj mixes from oakenfold, van dyk, digweed, sasha, fat boy slim, morillo, tenaglia among so many others, and ever since i have tried to see each one of all these live. From my days in NY, Philly and Miami, I can say I have seen pretty much every DJ i ever wanted to see in all kinds ov clubs and venues. Needless to say, i have lost count on most of them, but the urge to keep seeing our top dj talent -new or old- performing is alive and kicking.

Time passes, venues change, people come and go, but the music is there, and I will be listening....

Go ahead and share your rootz with the next generation of cp'ers.

.-:smoke:

Like my old Sig used to say:

Peace Love and Twilo for Everyone!!!

(Note to the mods: I dont think this is spam, so please dont delete.... )

My parents were quasi-hippies, so I was listening to Jimi Hendrix before i was even born. :) I would raid my parents records, until CDs came out. I would listen to the beach boys, The Doors, Led Zepplin, Cream, The Who, whatnot. They had Pink Floyd albums, but I didn't warm up to them until years later. The Doors & Zep made a lasting impression on me, & I still listen to them.

I discovered surfing, and lived that culture for awhile, so I got into reggae, rock, & punk and mellower bands like the Cure. I listened to Steele Pulse, Bob Marley, The Clash, uh, Gn'R, stuff like that. around the same time, I discovered The Cult from MTV, and my surfer friends gave me some of their old Cult tapes, so after awhile it was ALL cult all the time, lol! My grandmother got me into Jazz & Big Band, so I love that as much as anyting else listed. Etta james, Ella fitzgerald, the classic legends..sinatra... :)

As high school progressed, the alternative & indisutrial rock scene exploded. I listened to it all, from KMFDM, to NIN to Nirvana to Ministry. I loved the hard driving sounds, but was hardly a goth or industrial chica. I just listened to the music. In 10th grade, I heard my first New Wave, a few years too late, but I really dug it, and how it was kinda dancy, like New Order's Blue Monday.

One summer, I was probably about 15, a local dance club had a teen night, and THAT is when I first heard WESTBAM's "Alarm Clock", it was the first time I walked up to a DJ booth and asked the DJ what is was, so I could ask for it for the rest of the summer, lol! I loved edm, but didn't know it yet...

I would record a local radio show of dance music because that was the only way I could hear it, or so I thought. At some point I discovered The Club @ Firestone, and that was that. I dropped everything else I was listening to, even the Cult for a few years. Being a FLoor.i.dian, I got exposed to Breaks and electro first, but in time I grew to love just about all genre's of EDM. Now I listen to it all, and since having met my bf, I've learned so much and have been exposed to great sounds I 've never imagined, such as turntablism hip-hop & rap (only the really good stuff, no crap) , as well as a historical appreciation of it all.

It's a great journey that gets better with time --and dedication. :)

My dad was willing to listen to just about anything. My mother was a discerning jazz aficionado who used to wake us every saturday at 9am with her Miles Davis and Coltrane and many others. So although I hated it cause it got me out of bed early on a saturday morning, subconsciously I think it is the reason why I like deep and soulful house and nu-jazz. At age 11, I had broken my first plate to the sounds of bouzoukia (Greek music). Summers in Greece between 1992 and 1998 were spent listening to Europop and Eurodance (by producers such as La Bouche, Ice MC, Cappella, 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor, dj Bobo, Dr. Alban, etc...). Believe it or not, my taste in music got even worse than that when I got bitten by the trance bug of 1999. I was listening to that crap plus Goa/psychedelic trance. Then a brick hit me in the head and I switched to house. :D

Rush

Led Zeppelin

Primus

Pink Floyd

Ween

Rage Against the Machine

Alice in Chains

Beastie Boys

Beck

Cake

Chemical Brothers

NWA

Public Enemy

Duran Duran

Sumo

Faith No More

Steve Vai

Frank Zappa

Fugees

Helmet

Infectious Grooves

Jane's Addiction

John Digweed

King Crimson

Mr. Bungle

Peter Gabriel

Portishead

Prodigy

Rabbit in the Moon

Sasha

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Run-DMC

Soul Coughing

The Beatles

The Black Crowes

Crystal Method

BT

The Orb

The Pharcyde

The Police

The Who

Tool

Uberzone

Underworld

Union Jack

Van Halen

A Tribe Called Quest

> First Memories:

30 years ago playing with my show and tell, making the screen go back and forth as I moved this record: disney_rabbit.jpg

> First Influences:

My parents were cool but dad was strict (Marine, Attorney & first to go to college in his family), Had actually owned a private recording studio (which I blame my obsession with musical gadgets) . Coming from New Orleans i can remember hearing everything thing imaginable everywhere you look. :afro:

> Musical History:

I started Blues & Soul, Jazz & Classic Rock:

Then when early Funk & R&B: into 80’s, Disco & pop

Somewhere I snuck in the origins of Hip-Hop while delving Reggae, Ska, then Punk.( I used to slam dance, skateboard and had a Mohawk). :rock:

Then came back to Hip-Hop & then went early House and Breaks; while listening to Trip-Hop & Acid Jazz some Industrial & Goth shit along the way! Now i I used to play a lot of different instruments but gave it all up for the turntable :cool:

Best thing is I have a collection of vinyl that has traveled 3 states and spans as far back as the 60’s. And I still have my original copies of Electric Company and Sesame Street on Vinyl (when it really was Vinyl) :D

I pretty much can evenjoy any & everything except Modern Country/POP & Underproduced Trance.

Now I love: Classic Hip-Hop, D&B, Breaks, House, Techno, Latin, Tribal, Prog,

and curretly play them ALL :bootysha:

I used to play a lot of different instruments but gave it all up for the turntable :cool:

Do you ever think about picking them up again? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about picking up drumming again. It's a given, just a matter of time... I think I'm hungry for more than just listening to it, now I want to play it, make it...take it to another level, personally.

Do you ever think about picking them up again? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about picking up drumming again. It's a given, just a matter of time... I think I'm hungry for more than just listening to it, now I want to play it, make it...take it to another level, personally.

Let me know if you want me to give you drum lessons. I used to be the drumline instructor at Killian High School (for marching percussion) but I can teach drum set as well.

We just need a place where much noise can be made without any complaints. You make the call! ;)

Let me know if you want me to give you drum lessons. I used to be the drumline instructor at Killian High School (for marching percussion) but I can teach drum set as well.

We just need a place where much noise can be made without any complaints. You make the call! ;)

ha! Chris' house?!? lol.. my parents...surrounded by acres of nature, tha'd be sweet. but, they're far away. well, I guess I need to re-learn how to read notes, to start off... Thank You Sean! :)

I used to drum... and do a lot of percussion...

but from DJ-ing so long my hands do all of the work, so Unless it's a Hand drum I need to pratice before I pic up any instrument...

the other week i picked up a friends sax... :doh: big mistake I sounded like a Dying Goose... it's a shame how I let those talents go...

Now all I can do is Play Keys (by ear), Hand percussion, and compose a little.

But I defintely appreaciate how all the instuments gave me an ear for Harmoic Mixing!