Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The (un)Real World Chicago

back2basics-

http://www.realworldblows.com/news.html

So they are having these protest outside the Real World Chicago's house. Just wanted to know what you all though of it?

I find it pretty funny that 300 people protesting and 8 people arrested doesn't get any coverage on local TV news (or I haven't seen any). But I am kind of torn over it. I hate MTV and I find the Real World at best nauseating. But it's not meant for me it's for the 10-16 year old age bracket, and they aren't thinking about which group of people the casting people picked in order to CAUSE conflict. Or if the people on the show are mainly spoilt kids who would probably get a chance to do most of these things, unlike less privileged kids, who would probably benefit more.

And as for MTV it's self, yeh they really only play the corporate manufactured bands music (and hip hop). But again that's what that audience wants and they want to here it again and again. So shouldn't we be more concerned that there is no choice for us, no television aimed at our scene and the music we like (which is not MTV's fault)?

There is a section of society who DO like MTV and who are we to say they have no right to watch it, just in the same way they should have no effect on our choices. I say let the kids watch MTV, but I also say that our scene is young has money to spend, lot's of disposable income, so why don't we have our own channel? We probably spend more on music that ANY social group.

I say TV sucks and it is corporate brainwashing! But only you choose to be brainwashed by watching the crap and that is your decision. All those protestors are abunch of losers who have nothing better to do. Cmon, why waste the time protesting a show, just cus the lifestyles it depicts is a sheltered one? You know there is such a thing as suburbia and suburbia is not a bad place. Who wants to stay in the ghetto? I live a couple blocks away from where they are filming and I am glad the neighborhhod ain't what it used to be 5 years ago. There used to be trash and debris all over the streets and the only thing there was Red Dog. What, Chicago wants it to stay that way all in sake of keeping it real? Fuck that and all these artsy fartsy wickerpark types. There some of the fakest people anyways. They seriously have nothing better to do and so they get melodramatic on some nitpicking shit, trying to pretend they are all passionate about societal issues. If you wanna make a difference go adopt a kid who knows nothing but poverty instead.

-words from a yuppie who grew up wit nothing!

Originally posted by tone79

I say TV sucks and it is corporate brainwashing! But only you choose to be brainwashed by watching the crap and that is your decision. All those protestors are abunch of losers who have nothing better to do. Cmon, why waste the time protesting a show, just cus the lifestyles it depicts is a sheltered one? You know there is such a thing as suburbia and suburbia is not a bad place. Who wants to stay in the ghetto? I live a couple blocks away from where they are filming and I am glad the neighborhhod ain't what it used to be 5 years ago. There used to be trash and debris all over the streets and the only thing there was Red Dog. What, Chicago wants it to stay that way all in sake of keeping it real? Fuck that and all these artsy fartsy wickerpark types. There some of the fakest people anyways. They seriously have nothing better to do and so they get melodramatic on some nitpicking shit, trying to pretend they are all passionate about societal issues. If you wanna make a difference go adopt a kid who knows nothing but poverty instead.

-words from a yuppie who grew up wit nothing, and wouldn't have had it any other way

I agree, and also agree about the corporate brain washing of TV i try not to watch it anyway.

It's funny that it starts getting busy after 11, everybody goes to the pub, get's pissed then goes down to see what's going on.

also from a yuppie who grew up with nothing.

Quiet a nice quote....

"This wasn’t a protest. I thought this was a demonstration to get these kids out [of the RW house]. It’s a hostage crisis. I definitely think these kids want to get out of captivity. And I think it’s important that we’re here offering them our support. I think most people here want to help them. We can do this by trying to deprogram them.”

Did you see the front page article on the Chicago Reader this week? They went into what's been happening at the Real World loft (which used to be Urbis Orbis).

Personally, I hate the Real World and all the "reality" TV shows. In the case of the Real World, it is a show where 8 shallow and apathetic people are handed a beautiful loft and they spend their days gossipping and bitching about each other. In an area like Wicker Park, that does not fit with the community of artists and avant garde thinkers left there. I would think that they should have put the loft in Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, or Bucktown.

As for the "fight", the normal fight is for something real as opposed to "marketed". The Real World is just a victim in all this and a target for all the people that hate the mentality of fashion and mainstream pop thinking. It's unfortunate, but as far as I am concerned, let them film their stupid show, sell it to Schaumburg, and Wicker Park will be the same as it was before Real World showed up.

D-Jam

osmagfooter.gif

You now what is going to happen. As soon as the Real World makes it in to rotation. You can kiss Wicker Park good bye! All the people that thought Chicago only consisted of Division St and Lincoln Park will flock there. They will turn Reddog into Alumi Club, Borderline will be a big sports bar and Holiday Club is a copy of the Leg room(acording to the new residents). Instead of ordering jerk chicken at Soul Kitchen it will be a big mac please and of course super size that.

I am done bitching