Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Meng - 'Trancendental' (Review)

nlitnme

The CD was good. You have skill that is for sure. Honestly, I thought you were going to be horrible, like some folks I’ve known, they have ‘all heart’, all the latest records, the hottest equipment, but they’re awful. They have NO technique, they are literally playing records -which does not make them a DJ, or at least one that could get long lasting work as one. Your cd was a good - the 75+ minutes seemed to breeze by which is not easy to do.

A suggestion however, -keep your real name as your DJ name - with the front cover obviously being from Europe, your CD would have that much more flava’ (aka Marketability) to it. DJ Meng, as funny and catchy as it is, I fear will not make others take you seriously. (Unless you’re looking for that afternoon traffic jam slot on Power 96:). -I have a close friend who used to go by the name of DJ Sweat in Miami (ages ago) – he changed his name back to his birth name when he moved to NYC – he is no Eric Morillo (and thank God for that) but the number of gigs that he does jumped tremendously. (Partially due to the name change) -Again this is just something to consider.

Also my opinion - and I am not sure as to where you are in the DJ arena or who you know in the industry, but develop a relationship with DJ’s (such as Edgar V) guys who have been in the game for awhile. He is very good - one, as a DJ and two by knowing the game of being one. Even icons like Danny Tenaglia will chat with you for a bit (he gets that some times at ‘Vinyl’) Unfortunately there is a lot of politics in the DJ world - especially when you are getting started. There are plenty of folks walking around saying ”I used to be a DJ” and many with real talent. Established DJ’s know that industry is cutthroat. Not trying to scare you but the reality is that “everyone wants to be a DJ” and a lot of talent goes out the window due to the frustration of dealing with the BS. Many good DJ’s will start off with all that energy but because of who/what they don’t know - they will get screwed. So watch out for that and learn from the mistakes others have endured. Not sure again where you want to go with this, it does take a while though, keep with it, and submit and practice like a $@!%#$!

Now back to your CD -the tracks I have to admit are a little dated, but I’m not a club owner and I am not critiquing this for DMA magazine. You have skill -which is a GREAT place to be; you should just consider updating the tracks you play on a demo. Club fans don’t want to go “oh yeah I’ve heard this months ago” especially some of the hardcore fanatics in the industry. If it’s possible, know as to where you would like to take an audience, know where you want your art to go. That will drive you much more then trying to be a great DJ. Because even the “Legends” don’t think of themselves as such -they may play the role (i.e. Oakenfold) but even he knows inside he is just trying to express himself and take his fans/his audience ‘to another place’. Once that becomes clear for you (if it has not already) you will be that much closer to the game. You can do it.

I also know how hard it is to cut a demo/CD when you’re in your

living room. One of the things (and I again am not sure how you made this) but one thing a DJ friend used to do is practice with an audience (i.e. his friends) and he would cut his demos with us around. We were somewhat bias, but if something really didn’t sound right -he knew about it. And when cutting a demo -he fed of the fact that his crew was vibing off of what he was doing. It made his demo’s better, and eventually landed him a gig at Liquid (RIP). When your playing to a crowd even as small as 15 it is so much more powerful then playing in front of two or three or even worse – when it’s just you. The energy is going to be different, the energy in the room is going to be so much higher and make the music that much more alive. It will transform into the quality of the CD. (Just another added thought though).

It was great to hear your CD and I appreciate the fact that you thought enough of me to send it my way for commentary. And you are right – “listen loud”. It took me awhile to honestly get to a place where I could just crank it up and listen with no interruptions. In any event, long story short – “It was good” Thanks for having me listen. Take Care DJ Meng and good luck out there.

Alex Perez aka “ Nlitnme”

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to the CD and offering me some very helpful tips. I have been djing for a short time and I'm trying my best to just get out there(at least in Miami).

In the short time that I have been spinning, I have made some progress in getting into clubs in Miami. Within one year of starting to spin records, I hooked up gigs at Groove Jet, Liquid, and Power Studios(all which have closed unfortunatley).

I am definitely aware of the "dated" tracks. Loraine from this board also commented this to me and I definitely will take that advise seriously. I've just started spinning progressive and that batch of records on the CD were my first of the sort. I started off with breakbeats and I just have discovered the vibe of progressive thanks to Sasha and Digweed.

I'm a music lover. I love how it feels. I have a feeling that most of the records that I like, the majority will like as well. This is a hunch, and so far I've been getting good reviews. Kris at Shadow told me she dug the CD and didn't mention anything about the "dated" tracks although I know that it would do me better to have fresh tracks that are not yet fully recognized.

I will definitely consider switching to my real name......thanks for that tip also.....I'm used to dj names like Confucius and Monk from Rabbit in the Moon.....which is why I came up with a nickname.....I thought "it was like that'. I see how clubs would take a dj more seriously if they used their real name. Of course, the guys from Rabbit in the Moon are already set so they don't need to ever worry about that.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give me feedback on this. I need it. I'm a rookie and it's rough out there. I definitely would not want to get fucked. The tips you gave me are very helpful and I know exactly what you're saying. Hey, not bad for being spun on belt drives, though right? ;)

peace and thanks again

Sean

I wonder if Sobeton is even liking the CD.......after hearing it at least five times....I hope it's not bad in his opinion!:rolleyes:

just bustin' your balls a bit bro.......and also getting the topic back up there.:D

Oh! And look out for a review of my CD on http://www.cooljunkie.com

Cooljunkies says that the review will be at the site in a few days. I'm looking forward to that.

I got to listen to your CD "Sobeton" put on in my car....

1. I think you mixing was Good well to be honest better than good..great...U switch song to song with out missing a beat...."use to DJ Hip Hop and house back in the day"

2. While I liked your Mixxing skills....I like my trance a little harder...What I mean i kept waiting for this hardcore beat to drop or this build up that never came....on the same note u might like to spin progressive .

OverAll B

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I'm real picky when it comes to trance. I'm really a breakbeat DJ at heart.

There is a lot of trance that I absolutely dislike. The tracks on my CD represent the type of trance that I do like. I don't really like tweeked-out - high energy sounds. I like to hear some "music" in the trance. I also don't like trance that is so fast that it doesn't groove. For me, the more musical a dance tracks is, the better.......

Regardless, whether you like a style of music or not is just opinion. Thanks for the "B"!:D

Damn! You really hooked it up didn't you! Will the mix always be there or are you only going to have it there for a certain amount of time? Also, I already gave my picture to my friend with the scanner so he's going to scan it and send it to me before Friday. I'll then send it to you along with a bio. Thanks again man!

Guys, please check out the mix and give me some more feedback on it. I appreciate it. Thanks.:)

I really want a residency somewhere......

Sean,

Thanks for the cd. I really didnt know what to expect when I recieved your cd in the mail. I was very sketchy to say the least but I was quite impressed when I heard it. you defenitely have skill and you have no problems riding the beat. pretty fluid mixing and for the tracks that you have, the programming was pretty good. I do however think you hit the Bedrock label abit much and for my taste's atleast, I thought the tempo was alittle too fast towards the end of the cd. Overall, the cd is defenitely a winner. you did a good job with it and keep up the good work!. :) I would defenitely suggest you change your dj name to your 'real' name, it'll could only help the cause!

btw, I got your PM, the last breakz mix would be wonderful!, that'll be kewl to have :) ....

Rabbithead forever,

Danny

I know, I know......hitting the Bedrock hard......what can I say....That was the first batch of progressive records I bought, and I found that many of the artists on the Bedrock label are very much to my liking.....so I stocked up on the label(I don't like ALL Bedrock label rtists and tracks, but I do like most Bedrock label artists and tracks)......however, I've made a few recent purchases of progressive trance/house with many different labels which I'm about to throw down on a mix very soon which I will be sending out to clubs, labels, cooljunkie;) , etc.....

About the tempo.....I never sped it up towards the end....as far as I know, it was the same throughout the mix from beginning to end....if it gradually sped up a bit is another story.....it may have....... maybe what you mean is that the tracks towards the end would feel a bit groovier if they were slower......I know what you mean.....I also like the tempo a bit slower....a bit groovier.....if it would have been a bit slower, it would have felt better, more tribal...even sexier if you will........(except for the bad-ass breakbeat at the end....nothing sexy about the bad-ass break.....just bad-ass!)....

I'll get the tempo kicked down a notch on the next mix.....anyways, bro.....thanks for the feedback......I'm working on it....I can only keep improving you know? I'm a rookie.....I'll burn some of my breakbeat mixes for you soon.......RABBITHEADZ!!!!!!!!!MrMengHat.jpgBunnyMengFX.jpgMrMengHat.jpg

Originally posted by Nolimit

what is bedrock digweed?

Nolimit, are u being sarcastic like me or are you just confused? If you heard the cd then I'll assume your being sarcastic if you didn't then I guess you really don't know what I'm talking about.

Meng, I'll pm u my address....if it's not to much of a bother I woud def like that cd.

There are a couple of Bedrock tracks on Transcendental as well as artists on the Bedrock Label.

The song I think acasta2 is talking about is Heaven Scent because that is the one track that although is good....may feel a bit dated.

The other Bedrock original is Beautiful Strange but that's more recent than Heaven Scent.