Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Movin to Jersey City

I'm moving to Jersey City Sept 1. I don't really know much about it, I just started workin in Newport. I'm living in Downtown. Anybody know anything at all about the area, bars, etc. I know I can just hop on the path to whereever but I want to know about my area.

I've been living in Jersey City for about 1 year now. I mainly go over to Hoboken to go partying, when I decide not to go into the city. Its only about 10 min. away by car from the Newport area. However, around the Exchange place area, they are supposed to open a bar called "Odd Fellas". That's all I know of at this time.

Originally posted by ctwarrior

I've been living in Jersey City for about 1 year now. I mainly go over to Hoboken to go partying, when I decide not to go into the city. Its only about 10 min. away by car from the Newport area. However, around the Exchange place area, they are supposed to open a bar called "Odd Fellas". That's all I know of at this time.

Thanks, what area do you live around. How safe is it at night say if my gf had to walk from Grove st. whats old fella like

I just moved to Hoboken a few weeks ago and it's a pretty cool area. I think it's pretty dead though for the summer time when everyone's away at the shore for weekends. But, just by word of mouth, I hear that Sandbar in JC is pretty cool. BTW, i thought Odd Fellows was a cajun restaurant/ bar in Hoboken off of River St. - and I've been meaning to go there cause I dig cajun food and I love beer!!

jasonct5> You'll just have to meet some people in your area and get some ideas of what to do. Do you have any roomies? I don't know if they have a good website for JC, but you may want to try and see if they do and check out all the cool things in your area. The website for Hoboken is hobokeni.com - you can check it out too and get ideas for when you do want to hang out in my town.

Thanks, I've actually been to sand bar a couple of times, the past two Fridays and once for happy hour. Its pretty nice, gets real crowded though. Thats the only place I've heard of though thats nice in JC. If anybody's lived there how did/do you like it. Are there a lot of young people. I moved there mostly cuz I work right there and its mad close to the city with the path train right there and I keep hearing how they're building it up but I really don't know anything else about it.

I live in an apt in downtown JC close to grove path. The Grove path is pretty safe but can be full odd assortment of people just like any subway station.

Although, I spend my most social life in hoboken and NYC, I like living there b/c I'm 2 blocks from path and I can park my car for free right out in front of my place. Also it is very easy to get cabs outside of grove. Downtown JC is very up and coming, aside from new apts and office bldgs since I have been there 3 respectable bars downtown have been or are being built, Liberty Grille on washington, PJ Ryans on Marin, and the Odd Fellos on Columbus.

For hoboken, check out City Bistro on thursday nights in hoboken on 14th street, awesome rooftop bar w/ NYC views. And once the summer is over the bar at 10th and willlow will get happening on friday nights, it is always full some hotties. Ask for Mario and cut the line.

hola fellow jersey citian!

I live 2 blocks from the grove path..and I like it very much. As a female, I have never had any trouble walking home from the train..but I'd say the latest I have was 2am...If I come home from manhattan after that, I usually take a cab. Many new plaves have recently opened and continue to open. Make sure you try the hard grove cafe and the mixed grill. There is a bar in the front of the mixed grill that get crowded on tuesdays, thursdays, even last friday my sister went there after work (she works a few blocks) away, and she said it was just like any NYC place with alot of young people. They call the bar part "downtown eddie's"

Plus, they are contructing a new building on the corner of erie and newark that is opening...yes...a starbucks.

Any questions...email me smoknjilly@aol.com

mikeyinblack...where do you live? probably on my street..haha

-Jill

jilly - I live on steuben street, closer to the waterfront. It's a cross street of marin and washington. One up from columbus towards hoboken, I'm in the tall bldg w/ balconies, can't miss it.

Hard Grove is great, awesome breakfast and excellent sangria. Where is the mixed grill? FYI - there is a starbucks in Newport

mixed grill/downtown eddies is on 516 jersey avenue...right off newark ave...not far from the grove st path...alot of cute places are popping up around there...also a coffee shop "lounge" called "grounds"

hehehe..I know there is a starbucks in newport...im talking..a starbucks "on the street" in JC...3 stores down from the salsa/meregue record shop/barber shop...now that..is something

also...if anyone craves ice cream...you MUST go to the place on the corner of Erie and second street. They have about 25 homemade flavors like pound cake, guava, mango.. etc alot of tropical flavors I have never seen anywhere else..mmmmmm

jason..I live on Erie and second...a few blocks away from where you'll be...

there is a bar called PJ o ryans close to you...lol..on weds they have karaoke night..i went a few times..a typical Irish bar..beers, sports food etc. same thing you'd find in the city

there is another hoppin place for thursday _____ cafe...I have a flyer/card...i'll look for it when I get home...forgot the name

-Jill

So your like 2 blocks away. How's the neighborhood. Anytime I've been around seemed like a lot of families around, some young people. I'm moving from New Brunswick and now I'll be able to walk to work which is phat. Is there cable modem or dsl in the area, I almost always use my cell phone so theirs no real need for a phone except for my computer so I figured this way would be better. Thanks for all the info.

ive lived in downtown jersey city pretty much all my life and its definitely turning into a mini manhattan/hoboken area. i live right by hamilton park and its very safe. all yuppies live around here now. sandbar is ok and theres this new plase on on 5th and jersey ave thats pretty cool some nights. also try the hamilton ale house. theres only a handful of places in hoboken that are worth going to these days. black bear would definitely be my first choice. and there are two oddfellows now,one is in hoboken and the other just opened up down by exchange place.

Hey all I am moving to Fifth St. on Sat. I too would like to know what is up in the area to do during the week. My roomate is moving up there from New Brunswick also. I forgot the names of the cross streets I am between. Oh well If anyone wants to meet up let me know

vin-e

Whats the deal...Saint Peters College is in jersey City ive been livin there for the last 3 years...there sint much to do.... but if you come by spc on a thursday night or some fridays and come to aprament d32 in on 140 glenwood then hsit might be gettin set off..... Big MIke

It's nice to see that other people live in JC...I thought i was the only one...

Yeah, I would rather live in Manhattan...but my job is a much shorter commute than when I used to live on the upper east side, and I have a HUGE apt , half a brownstone, with a full backyard and garden....

I love the diversity...while I like hoboken, I do feel as though its a "college town"...JC, at least by grove st, is more artsy and unique....