Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ANy ravers on this board??

Well, im not really a raver, but i will interject my opinion here.

About space girl:

I was at stereotopia this past saturday, and i never heard spacegirl spin live, but all of the things that ppl were saying about her and how awesome she is, turned out to be a little more hype than reality. I dunno what it was *(maybe she had an off night)* but her mixes seemed mostly flat with a 20 sec peak or so, or at least thats what i noticed. I was trying to dance to it and ended up just standing still and waiting for the next peak.

Rad_

Originally posted by Rad_Z

About space girl:

I was at stereotopia this past saturday, and i never heard spacegirl spin live, but all of the things that ppl were saying about her and how awesome she is, turned out to be a little more hype than reality. I dunno what it was *(maybe she had an off night)* but her mixes seemed mostly flat with a 20 sec peak or so, or at least thats what i noticed. I was trying to dance to it and ended up just standing still and waiting for the next peak.

Rad_

hey sup....i missed the call...sorry we didnt meet up ... :(

Spacegirl sets r usually amazing, except at stereotopia I wasnt feeling her set at all either, she totally sucked.... its nothing like her set at one nation ...she had an off set...but definately give her antoher change cuz shes amazing...

clubhead - where ya been, bro??!?!?

good ta see you posting again....when're we gonna see you out??

about Spacegirl - I'd say she definately is impressive when you sit there and watch her doing a live PA, its pretty f-n cool, BUT, the songs themselves aren't really that good at all...I've only seen her twice, and the crowd goes wild, but its all basically the trance we've heard since 99.......a basic synth over a stompin beat...if another DJ was SPINNING those same songs we'd say that DJ was cheesy...but no doubt she's got skills and rocks the party....I'm just not huge on the actual songs....

BUT I'd say that my favorite DJ's I've seen at raves were:

Derrick May

D:Fuse

Bad Boy Bill

Johnny Fame

Sandra Collins (when she shows up)

Juan Atkins

Pleasurehead - I don't care what people say, his set was ill @ Electric……maybe it was an "on" night but I though he was great……

Originally posted by Rad_Z

About space girl:

Rad_

I agree - it was all hyped up....personally - I think she is talented and to watch her in action doing that shit live - your like 'whoa'

but the problem I have with her music is that if your not watching her ane you walk away to the bathroom or somthing or just try to dance and you finally just listen rather than watch - you start to realize that her beats really aren't that good! They are fired up - but they are just not my cup of tea - there's no.....UMP to it !

my list:

chris liberator

commander tom

dave the drummer

xdream

pleasurehead (even tho his 2 cds SUCKED, TF2 is still one of the best mixtapes around)

spacegirl

delta-9

and dont forget the one, the only

misstress barbara (my goddess)

Boo 6 raises the bar tho - since when was richie hawtin a rave dj?

rob

Yea Roxy,

GUess the meetup didnt work, I went with my friend though, so it was all good. THeres always next time. :)

Exodus, yea i agree with you somewhat.

Space girl did seem awesome on the decks but her choice of tracks made not have been all that great that night.

The DJ's that i would love to see spin live are commander tom

and bad boy bill. Listened to their stuff at home and it had spice,

im assuming that hearing them spin is 10 X more exciting.

Rad_

Originally posted by shortspace

Are you kidding people? Where the Jungle DJs at???

Andy C?

Dara?

Ed Rush & Optical?

Decoder?

Bad Company?

You forgot the best one there... Freaky Flow. For those that have never heard him/seen him, he is sick. Unbelievable live, him and flipside tear shit up.

Originally posted by dialectics

my list:

chris liberator

commander tom

dave the drummer

xdream

pleasurehead (even tho his 2 cds SUCKED, TF2 is still one of the best mixtapes around)

spacegirl

delta-9

and dont forget the one, the only

misstress barbara (my goddess)

Boo 6 raises the bar tho - since when was richie hawtin a rave dj?

rob

Nice to see some people still like gabber. Delta Nine is the shit!

my list:

- since when was richie hawtin a rave dj?

rob

Since detroit came out with

KEVIN SAUNDERSON

JUAN ATKINS

EDDIE FOWLKES

DERRICK MAY

dunno how people could abuse Frankie Bones yes he might blow himself up, giving him a head as big as the hindenberg.

but you cannot say he does not pump up a crowd. This is someone that spins many genres of electronic music in a one hour set. He goes from the hardcore rave anthem don't touch that stereo(marshall masters) then ends his set with something like needle damage (dj dan)

He is loved through out this country and his own new yorkers put him down?

my five

westbam

kevin saunderson

lenny dee

carl cox

eddie fowlkes

(these five change constantly basically every time i refresh the cd's in my truck)

my $.02:

1) WE LOVE GABBER!!!!!! Some of the american hardcore djs of late have been doing some great things, but nothing beats the real rotterdam shit. (if i could draw the music in my head now i would.....)

2) Richie Hawtin- i think that he has gotten way bigger then the "rave" pigeonhole. first time i saw him was in amsterdam last year - his set @ boo will be OFF THE HOOK! i hope he breaks out the 909 :P Speaking of 909, there was that pic in URB of him busking in the subway with his.... that was so cool!

3) carl cox is immortal. that's all there is to it. but i also think he trancends the "rave" concept - i've seen him @ raves, parties, clubs, mega-festivals, concerts etc. i guess it just depends on how you define the question.....

4) a friend just called who works at a biochem lab and said that someone she tested was "semi-pregnant". How does that happen???

5) Detroit gave us Saunderson, May and Atkins and for that I am grateful. I am glad that the 3 have been spinnin here a LOT lately (or maybe i've just been noticing them more....) but again i consider them to be legends in their own rite, and not necessarily relegated to the world of key skate.

back to work///

peaz,

rob

1) WE LOVE GABBER!!!!!! Some of the american hardcore djs of late have been doing some great things, but nothing beats the real rotterdam shit. (if i could draw the music in my head now i would.....)

I dunno, some of the Rotterdam stuff is pretty cheesy. I think the North American stuff is a little more hard edge, but there are exceptions to any case.

Also, we might be starting a once-a-month party down at La Nouvelle Justine with the HardComm crew where we'll be mixing it up between gabber, hard industrial and breakcore. Right now the DJs would be myself (Von Strecker), Edgey, descendant, and Jernee. I'll keep you posted if we actually get the 'ok' to do the party.

If you get a chance, check out http://subsurface.homestead.com and go to the Von Strecker page. I've got a bunch of original tracks and remixes of fellow gabber producers on there for people to check out.

HELLO, has anyone seen SKYLAB 2000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say what you will about Spacegirl, man those hard acid bass lines get everyone going

Commander Tom is the real deal too- i've seen him in Canada a shit load of times.

Christopher Lawrence amazes me each and everytime, i sit their all fucked up going WHAT I CAN"t BELIEVE I'm HEARING THIS

Bones- please he's been around since those brooklyn warehouse parties, and he's still drops down a phat set whenever i see him. (course the last time was in april in niagara falls, and those fuckers had him and spacegirl spinnin in different areas at the SAME TIME) SUCKED, had to run back and fourth

Other notables, whose rave sets really impressed me, Dj Dan at Whistle 3, umm OH SHIT fuck me SANDRA COLLINS how could i forget her, yo she just keeps elevating the crowd over and over

Originally posted by heretic909

. I think the North American stuff is a little more hard edge

go to the west where they live on hardcore (at least they did in 97?)

RON D CORE

king of gabber out there

I'm more into his earlier shit, I use to purchase his tapes all the time when he spun acid house

but i also am a hardcore fanatic,

but now if it's hardcore it's not nicky fingers and rob gee any more, for me i go for shit like marshall masters, pcp, macrebe it's not happy shit but it's not speedcore either

although i still do enjoy dj tron, rob gee, ron d core etc...