Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Last night a DJ saved my life -- and his name was Fatboy Slim.

DaVe

From my newsletter intro:

--------

After losing some amount of faith in the US dance music scene with the recent cancellations of both the Mekka Electronic Music Festival and Creamfields USA, plus the end of publication for Revolution magazine, we just returned from Pier 54 with renewed hope and a somewhat unlikely ally -- MTV|2.

MTV|2 sponsored the completely free outdoor dance music event of the year -- Barry Ashworth, MJ Cole, Crystal Method, and Fatboy Slim. Free, outdoors, great crowd, room to dance -- what more could we ask for? Barry Ashworth and MJ Cole warmed the crowd up for an impressive set by the Crystal Method which featured tweeked out mixes of most of their best tracks. When they finished their set at about 11pm, we had been standing for the past 5 hours, and were getting tired and about to skip out on Fatboy Slim for some sleep. Thankfully we stayed and Fatboy Slim came on and played one of the most impressive DJ set I have ever seen. He spent an entire hour spinning a very eclectic mix in front of a screen fill with visuals of flying pills and grinning from ear-to-ear in front of the throbbing crowd. When he closed the set at 12am, we were so hyped up, we forgot that we had ever

been tired and headed on over to the after-party at Filter 14 where we danced to DJ Hiro until way past our bedtime. (If you haven't heard of Filter 14 yet, you will as they promise to be one of the hot locations to be at this fall.)

All I have to say is, thank you MTV|2. So, do me a favor and e-mail MTV to let them know that you appreciate all their efforts and want them to continue. Contact David French, Senior Publicist of the MTVi Group, at davidf@mtvi.com and thank him for a job well done.

---

Walikng out of the show, we of course were bombarded with flyers for upcoming events, here's some of the most promising:

- MJ Cole and Billy Stopless at Groovejet on 9/6/01

- Thievery Corporation plus Blue States at The Roxy on 9/12/01

- Substance at Limelight with Ben Sims, Function, Gene Lafosse, and Richard Hingeon 9/22/01

- Transfix Thursdays with DJs Anthony Mundy, Joey Martinez, Juan Mirandam & Kasper starting 9/13/01 at 20 West 39th St.

And our favorite:

- Boo 6 (10/6/01) at Randall's Island

Main Stage: Techno-House:

Richie Hawtin, Derrick May, Bad Boy Bill, DJ Dan, Donald Glaude, Christian Smith, Mistress Barbara, The Advent

Trance/Progressive Stage:

Tall Paul, Christopher Lawrence, Max Graham, Scott Henry, Micro, Spacegirl, DJ X-Dream, Matthew Xavier, Pleasurehead

House Stage:

Derrick Carter, Roger Sanchez, Paul Johnson, Roy Davis Jr, Charles Feelgood, Onionz, Nigel Richards, Scott Richmond, Johnny Fame

Drum-n-Bass Stage:

DJ Rap, J-Majik, Bailey, S.S w/ MC Warren G, Freaky Flow w/ MC Flipside, Db, Odi & Kazpa w/ MC Posi d, Kech, Reid Speed, Atray-u, Sierra

Hip-Hop Stage:

KRS-1, Slick Rick, Das Efx, Black Sheep, Tony Touch, Evil Dee & Butta L, Kech, Sierra, DJ Orion

Wow! Tickets $52 in advance at Satellite (212.780.9305) or ticketmaster.com.

Dave That was Awesome. I have been stuck in HAMPTONS LAND for the past 3 weeks. MJ Cole spun @ our GrooveJet party with Jackie Christie this past Sunday at Rocco's A La Playa. All in all I am spent. It's been a long summer. Much props to Sam and the crew From Evolution Talent that hooked our people up tonight. I need a day of rest before the awards. Dave I'll see u and Luis at CMJ hopefully.

L:cool:

Gosh DaVe, It was really great to meet you last night. i feel so honored :D Village Idiot was a great choice. I love that hole. Crystal Method did weird things to my brain. Damn that shit was good. I had a permanent grin on my face for about 8 hours after that.

Too bad I had to leave in the middle of FBS. Some of us have early morning jobs you know.

Anyone who didnt make it out last night:

you stupid crazy!!!

Originally posted by DaVe

And our favorite:

- Boo 6 (10/6/01) at Randall's Island

Main Stage: Techno-House:

Richie Hawtin, Derrick May, Bad Boy Bill, DJ Dan, Donald Glaude, Christian Smith, Mistress Barbara, The Advent

Trance/Progressive Stage:

Tall Paul, Christopher Lawrence, Max Graham, Scott Henry, Micro, Spacegirl, DJ X-Dream, Matthew Xavier, Pleasurehead

House Stage:

Derrick Carter, Roger Sanchez, Paul Johnson, Roy Davis Jr, Charles Feelgood, Onionz, Nigel Richards, Scott Richmond, Johnny Fame

Drum-n-Bass Stage:

DJ Rap, J-Majik, Bailey, S.S w/ MC Warren G, Freaky Flow w/ MC Flipside, Db, Odi & Kazpa w/ MC Posi d, Kech, Reid Speed, Atray-u, Sierra

Hip-Hop Stage:

KRS-1, Slick Rick, Das Efx, Black Sheep, Tony Touch, Evil Dee & Butta L, Kech, Sierra, DJ Orion

Wow! Tickets $52 in advance at Satellite (212.780.9305) or ticketmaster.com.

That sounds cool! But let's see if actually happens, or if it will suffer the same fate as Mekka and Creamfields..

The show last night was un-fucking-believable. The only bad part was that Fatboy Slim needed to spin longer. His hour went by WAY too fast. Crystal Method were amazing too.

Can anyone tell me the name of one of the songs that I guess Barry Ashworth did...it goes "Are you having fun"? DT plays it all the time at Vinyl and it's a great song.

Thanks.

Sure the BOO 6 lineup is good for a New York party, but sh*t for $52 (plus all the extra service fees...about $8 worth..that will be added). I think I'll be going to the Masquerave party at South Street Sea Port instead, cause that has a great techno lineup and should be around $25.

Yea..agreed Dave!

MTV2 saved my bitterness last night!

(I'm Def e-mailing them to thank them)

Wish I could have joined you guys at Filter14 but I had to go back home and walk Jenny!

Bitch gets reaaally cranky and eats my shoes if I don't show up at a reasonable hour.

Cool to meet you and Ray.:D

Fatboy Slim was either rolling or is the happiest MoFo on the Planet - lot's of surprises (ooh baby baby, ba-ba baby baby) - and yet another new rip of Blondie's Rapture which kicked it.

Crystel Math was on - and the light show kicked ass for the venue. Who was the dancing nose?

Good overall vibe and it was f*cking free and the weather was sweet - I mean I still can't deal with MTV but maybe I'll start watching Jackass again (I watch it anyway).

Originally posted by mugwump

Wish I could have joined you guys at Filter14 but I had to go back home and walk Jenny!

Bitch gets reaaally cranky and eats my shoes if I don't show up at a reasonable hour.

Cool to meet you and Ray.:D

That's RIGHT Biiiaaatch!

You come home and take me out or I'm not only gonna chew your fav kicks but I'm also leaving a nice brown gift in one of them as well!

Arrroooooooooooooooooooo!

i am totally bummed i also missed it. i saw fatboy at hammerstein 2 years ago and thought he was great. from what i am reading, he was the same way at hammerstein. he was constantly smiling and having a good time when he spins. i think it is great watching somebody having such a good time while spinning. i have read an interview that he said he is always rolling or fucked up when he spins. i know a lot of people think he is a sell out and too commercial, but i still think he is one of the best djs out there.

People always start dissing those that obtain commercial success - FBS is still kicking on the tables - and if he can make a billion or two - as long as the music is there - good for him - I'd rather Fat Boy Slim listed as one the richest in the world than that fuck Bill Gates

popular maybe, but a sell out... no way. Fat boy puts together some kick ass beats and you can always tell its him because he's so damn original. His songs always make me smile and live... I've never had such a good time... rolling smiley faces rule!! Sure praise you was a radio tune, but ask any one who knows him from 95.5 or 103.5 to name a song by 'norman cook' and they couldn't tell you a thing. Fat boy is amazing and has a great time at what he's doing. I say, Go Norman!!:cool: