Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anybody see the movie MOMENTO?

Guest tilly

bout damn time someone else other than me says something about MEMENTO...

by far one of the best movies in the past few years...it wil definitly get recognized at the oscars.....

the editing is uncanny, because it lets you follow the story, even though it's goin backwards...

guy pearce's character is very tragic and scary...a life going nowhere...

and the story is made for you to make up your mind about it...it's set up for you to guess which path his character took up to when the final scene/start of the movie.

i wonder what others think about guy pearce's character...

by the way tilly, what were you so unsure about??

absolutely incredible movie.... i could go on and on (and on and on) about it...

my research on hippocampus was about what leonard had, so i was really psyched to see it up close and personal. i dug the style of the film, the way it was all a game for you, you kept on second guessing yourself and learned to distrust what you saw, make these wild connections...

peaz,

rob

Originally posted by dialectics

absolutely incredible movie.... i could go on and on (and on and on) about it...

my research on hippocampus was about what leonard had, so i was really psyched to see it up close and personal. i dug the style of the film, the way it was all a game for you, you kept on second guessing yourself and learned to distrust what you saw, make these wild connections...

peaz,

rob

couldnt agree with you more..

YEah it was a really great film if only because it makes you

think aboutt the things that make up your reality. Are you

made by your memories or is thier some inate you that doesn't

change. Definateley a great film to think, plus it's great to watch more than once to really get a feel for it. You can really break it down and look at it from different angles.

Guest tilly
Originally posted by highmay

bout damn time someone else other than me says something about MEMENTO...

by far one of the best movies in the past few years...it wil definitly get recognized at the oscars.....

the editing is uncanny, because it lets you follow the story, even though it's goin backwards...

guy pearce's character is very tragic and scary...a life going nowhere...

and the story is made for you to make up your mind about it...it's set up for you to guess which path his character took up to when the final scene/start of the movie.

i wonder what others think about guy pearce's character...

by the way tilly, what were you so unsure about??

I completely agree with you. I am all about seeing movies that bring me to a place that I might not necessarily go in my life, that make me see things in a different way. I think it was just difficult for me to come to the realization that this guy was so messed up at a time like this. That he was just going to randomly possibly continue to kill people in pursuit of vengence when it isn't necessary...without going into too much detail so I don't ruin it for the people that didn't see it. That's the part that disturbed me (but in a good way...cause it worked).

I did like the different take on cinematography. The playing around with time. The playing around with your own mind. What do you believe? What did you take out of this?

Originally posted by tilly

I completely agree with you. I am all about seeing movies that bring me to a place that I might not necessarily go in my life, that make me see things in a different way. I think it was just difficult for me to come to the realization that this guy was so messed up at a time like this. That he was just going to randomly possibly continue to kill people in pursuit of vengence when it isn't necessary...without going into too much detail so I don't ruin it for the people that didn't see it. That's the part that disturbed me (but in a good way...cause it worked).

I did like the different take on cinematography. The playing around with time. The playing around with your own mind. What do you believe? What did you take out of this?

Ok, well since Leonard Shelby couldn't remember a thing about 10 minutes ago, then the Nolan brothers set the movie up as if WE wouldn't remember what happened 10 minutes ago. I'll admit that the first time I saw the movie, I hardly had some recollection of the scene before the last. You might as well throw away any chance of trying to piece together the movie on your first time. It especially got frustrating during the final scene, but I'll leave it at that since some people might not have seen the movie. You know what I mean, though.

What did I get out of this? Well personally it made me appreciate the complexity and fragility of the human body. The ability to manipulate your own mind is very scary to people who can't do things like that. Think about it. He's not able to have a conscience about anyone unless he conditions his long term memory to believe that he should. He can believe anything he wants, as long as he keeps reminding himself for a certain amount of time. What I appreciated about the movie was that the Nolan bros. didn't overdo it and set the movie up like a thriller. The tragedy of Leonard Shelby is more frightening than looking behind you and discovering that Jason is about chop your head off with an ax. MEMENTO is the ultimate personal mind-manipulation.