Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is there a specific genre of music YOU JUST CAN'T STOMACH? (Sound allergies)

mugwump

Ok call me Illitst or "Close minded" but over the years I've developed a very specific ear for music that I love.

Though more instinctive and subliminal I find that Electronica (in many of it's guises) Moves me more than any other current genre!

WHY you ask?

Well, as an offspring of New Wave (raised by Hippies that corrupted me with everything from Floyd to The Beatle's "White Album") and having gone through the mysenthrope years of highschool with the aid of Goth and Industrial as a crutch..

I have become quite fond of sounds that STRIVE to push the envelope of music..

Electronica to me is the "LOGICAL PROGRESSION" of music..

Hendrix took guitars further by making it "sing" abstract NOISEs with an amp..

and it was music!

The same goes for computers and electronic gear...

The tools evolve and with it IDEAS evolve!

The more tools an artist has the more it allows him/her to explore the range of sounds limited by certain instruments that restrict you to a few cords or few keys .

The wider the scope of channeling what's in your head DIRECTLY the more ideas and concepts will grow WITH OUT LIMITATIONS!

It's no coincidence that many electronic artist's once played traditional instruments (Amon tobim,soul slinger, Square pusher played Jazz..Chrystal Method and members of Electric Sky Church EVEN Kraftwerk played ROCK!)

ok..so given my love for this type of music here's a list

of music I JUST CAN'T STOMACH!

(And this is based on my OWN personal tastes)

Hard core and punk..(Is this stuff really new to anyone?)

Country (Kill me please)

Gansta Rap(I'm too white and it scares me)

Boy bands and Pop( Can record labels and MTV produce more crapolla for us?)

ALTERNATIVE rock (WTF IS alternative these days anyway..it all sounds like watered down crap I've heard years ago)

Goth (was cool in the 80's and early 90's when I wore black and was mad at my folks and the world!)

Rockabilly, swing and all things retro (Are humans so lazy that they have to reproduce an era for lack of ideas!?)

Ok so now you can all yell at me!

WHAT MUSIC ARE YOU ALLERGIC TO?

Originally posted by cmb1975

Rap. Or most of it anyway. Anything that gets played on Hot 97. Some artists I like (nelly, puffy/pdiddy/puff the magic diddy) but most of it makes my head hurt.

btw....mugz...great meeting ya the other night!!! you comin back on saturday?!?!?!

And where did u go after Twirl?? Guess u didn't wanna be corrupted at Factory, lol:D :D

Originally posted by cmb1975

btw....mugz...great meeting ya the other night!!! you comin back on saturday?!?!?!

ummm...

not sure yet!

(But yea..it was GREAT to meet you too)

I'm unfortunately in a broke mode..

Shelling out $20.00 plus drinks might be a little hard this Saturday..

I'll be there NEXT Saturday though to support my friend Zoran spinning!

(If anything I might be at Baktun this Saturday..Christina Wheeler's playing and it's free for me!)

I AGREE WITH PDIDDY THOUGH..HATE THAT CRAP!

70's= s GENERIC! (Disco has moved on..what do you think HOUSE is to our generation?)

Limp Biskit and all that shit=s WHITE TRASH! (Hey Trailer trash needs anthems too..why not..I HATE IT THOUGH!)

Originally posted by somebitch

COUNTRY, and gansta rap :D

I hear ya on the Country and on the gansta rap!

(Though I DO like SOME ol' school and current abstract Rap:

*Old school: Digable Planets, black sheep, Dela Soul, Beasties etc...

*New school: Latryx, Blackelisciouse, Djeus, Del the funky homosapien etc..

and *TRIP HOP turntablism with Hip hop flava: Vadim, Herbaliser,DJ Shadow, Mix master mike, Kid Koala, Jurassic 5, Invisible scratch pickles etc...)

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG..

even "electronica' has it's good and bad shit!

*Hard core (makes me wanna bash my head into an amp and tear my ears off in pain)

*Two step (Sorry..I just don't feel it)

* Sooome fluffy house with Diva vocals (Sorry..do you have to be gay to like that shit?)

*Other "wanna be" trance/techno that I hear booming out of some guido's cars in Astoria (WTF..guys..work out at the gym and wax your chests to this shit but do you honestly think EVERYONE wants to hear that crap coming out of your car!?)

*Italian "comerciale" (Basicaly a veeery cheesy Italian version of bad trance that never evolved..sounds like it was made for a Mentos comercial!)

Most American rap...French rap and hip-hop is awesome compared to the American versions...all American rappers do is bitch about ho's,money,pimpin', and bullshit...argh! Country sucks too...mainstream pop drives me insane..can't stomach Britney Spears,N'Stink and all those dumbass talentless boy bands..anything that resembles a boy band I won't even listen to...right now I'm listening to NTM...they're a group that totally kicks ass...anyways, that's my input on it..and oh yeah...early 90's music sucks..so does most shit from the 80's and 70's...

Originally posted by scoob-e

anything tony draper spins.

Hahahaha

I can't stand:

country

jazz

acid jazz

cheesy Euro house

pop

any Latin style of music

goth rock

80's glam metal

most of the stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's

punk

r-n-b

rap played on MTV

alternative

Some under-appreciated styles I love, though, are:

doom metal

black metal

death metal

industrial

ebm

power electronics

hardcore

doomcore

breakcore

noisescape

acid breaks

freeform

And then I also like:

tech-step

hard house

hard nrg/trance

west coast rap

ambient

trip-hop

Its my belief that you can find talanted people and good music in almost any genre except country and this new rock garbage that limp bizkit spearheads... who likes this stuff. Modern punk annoys the piss out of me too, pop has taken over the punk sound. Punk was never really about good music anyway.

Originally posted by scoob-e

punk is def still alive, there are still punks shows all over the city all the time. i mean, you may not hear rancid or the unseen on the radio, but that doesnt mean its dead.

SURE..

and there's bands that still play Rag Time and Swing

but I think we can all agree that the impact SWING and Rag Time had as an "Inovational sound" to a specific generation and as a FORCE that moves ideas of music forward is pretty much all washes up and moved on to other things..

MANY forms of music are NOT dead..

nor are they NOT valid..

expression is expression and who am i to judge what "GOOD" music is..

(I can tell you my opinion but it's not a concrete truth)

To each his/her own..

But I just think it's a FACT that certain "ideas" and "Concepts" of certain genres no longer have the social impact or the

EDGE that it once had in the era from which it grew...

The impact of those genres are history leasons in the archives of contemporary music.

How long can one pretend it's the 30's, 50's, 70's or 80's?

Music, and REVOLUTIONARY ideas, move on!

And NEW tools allow that evolution.

Freestyle..I freakin hate this music. Feels like im in the 70's..Has such an old school sound.

Heavy metal...To hardcore for me. Satanic lyrics

Almost all New school hip pop. I hate the lyrics. always talking about the same stuff. Money, sex, Girls... Just pisses me off. One rapper i really hate is lil wayne from cash money..I just wanna step on him! ARgg!!

Pop(Britney spears, Back street boys) - It makes me sick how commercialized pop music is.

Cheesy Trance- Ughhh...So repetive and cheesy sounding.

One specific Song i hate is Bahamen - Who let the dogs out. Omg Everytime i Hear this song it just makes me go crazy