Clubplanet Nightlife Community

this bugz me the f. out? did rappers predict wtc tragedy?

jeffkaos

this album cover was designed b4 the wtc tragedy. -JKao$ coup_full.jpg

The cover for the upcoming CD from a popular hip-hop group portrays an eerily familiar sight. Against a backdrop of morning skies, the towers of the World Trade Center stand engulfed in flame from the impact of twin explosions. Clouds of smoke spew from the upper stories, all but obscuring the tip of what was once the epicenter of the New York City skyline.

first of all, , you must be real bored to sit there and take your time out to post a negative remark to my post. u got nuthin better to do than have a sarcastic remark? I don't think they "predicted" it, i do however think it is an amazing coincedence worth sharing " (the title that said "did the rappers predict it?" was the title of an email that was sent to me re: this story, but i already heard about this story and one of a heavy metal band that was just about to release an album that showed the band on the cover holding a detonator and the wtc exploding behind them and that was also designed weeks or months b4 9-11"In light of Tuesday's tragedy -- and a barrage of e-mails and phone calls regarding the image -- the label is now in the process of choosing a new album cover. "This was done long ago and never meant to be any literal interpretation of an event," said Toni Isabella, label manager for 75 Ark. Luckily, she said, the release date of the CD, entitled Party Music, got pushed back 2 months from early September to November.

In light of Tuesday's tragedy -- and a barrage of e-mails and phone calls regarding the image -- the label is now in the process of choosing a new album cover.

Timing of the original album printing was disturbingly in sync with real-world events.

The printers were set to crank out copies of the fiery World Trade Center image on Tuesday, Isabella said, when the label put in a last-minute call, urging them to stop the presses.

The fictional picture depicted on the cover, it seemed, was a bit too close to the horrific images occupying the television screen.

Isabella said the label hasn't decided on a new cover. They're looking at pictures from an old photo shoot as "

They did design the cover B4 the tragedy and i thought I'd share the story with the bored. Its not like its some bs nostradamus or satan in the smoke story. I just thought I'd share the story with the board but there;s always gotta be one jerk off with a wise ass comment

more:on that story

And now that reality has in fact imitated art, The Coup's label, 75 Ark, is finding itself in a messy predicament.

"This was done long ago and never meant to be any literal interpretation of an event," said Toni Isabella, label manager for 75 Ark. Luckily, she said, the release date of the CD, entitled Party Music, got pushed back 2 months from early September to November.

In light of Tuesday's tragedy -- and a barrage of e-mails and phone calls regarding the image -- the label is now in the process of choosing a new album cover.

Timing of the original album printing was disturbingly in sync with real-world events.

The printers were set to crank out copies of the fiery World Trade Center image on Tuesday, Isabella said, when the label put in a last-minute call, urging them to stop the presses.

The fictional picture depicted on the cover, it seemed, was a bit too close to the horrific images occupying the television screen.

Isabella said the label hasn't decided on a new cover. They're looking at pictures from an old photo shoot as well as an image based on the group's logo. However, the decision making is particularly difficult due to the fact that 75 Ark has been unable to reach officials with The Coup's publicist, Girlie Action, which is located in lower Manhattan.

The move to switch covers has not been without opposition.

Coup founder Boots Riley said he argued with the label to keep the original design, which a distributor had threatened not to release.

Riley said the cover design, completed in June, was "supposed to be a metaphor for the capitalist state being destroyed through the music."

It should not be interpreted as a call to violence, particularly in light of Tuesday's tragedy, he said.

"My condolences go to the families of the victims and all their friends and anybody affected at all by the catastrophe," Riley said. "But they can't sidestep that the reason this is being censored is a political one, not a sympathetic one. It's not out of respect to the victims."

Riley said he lobbied to keep the cover intact because he wanted people to consider that it is not only foreign terrorists, but the United States as well, that have committed atrocious acts.

Chris Funk, The Coup's manager, said it's most likely that 75 Ark will prevail in its plan to change the cover, however.

"Ultimately, they reserve the right to use whatever cover they want because they're the label," he said.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that the original CD cover had already gone out to members of the press, distributors and others. Before the album's release got pushed back to November, The Coup received reviews in several publications, including print editions of Wired Magazine, Spin and CMJ.

Naturally, many of the reviews came accompanied with pictures of the original CD cover, complete with exploding buildings.

Funk said The Coup, known for lyrics with an edgy, anti-establishment bent, chose the original cover for its powerful imagery.

And, as was the case with The Coup's previous three releases, "Kill My Landlord," "Genocide and Juice" and "Steal This Album," not all harsh statements are meant to be taken at face value.

"We're not saying go out and blow up the buildings," Funk said. "But it's politically charged music."

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by xkingchangox

I don't know how true this could be.I've never heard of this group or their record label. I think if it does exist it's probably some kind of PR deal were their trying to bring attention to an un-known artist.

I agree with you.......

i know of this group 4 a very long time "The Coup" they are a very political rap group like Public eNEMY AND THEYVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE EARLY 90'S

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1362444005/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/ArtistID=COUP

BIO:

The Coup was one of the most overtly political bands in rap history. Formed in the early 1990s, the Coup were obviously influenced by the Black Power rhetoric of "conscious" rappers like Public Enemy and K.R.S.-One; but they were perhaps even more inspired by a heavy-duty, leftist reading list that included Marx and Mao. Lead rapper/producer Boots (born Raymond Riley) was involved in political activism long before he was a musician; his fervent dedication to social change was the overriding influence on every Coup album. Second rapper E-Roc and DJ Pam the Funkstress rounded out the trio. Released in 1993, the Coup's debut album Kill My Landlord was a highly charged blend of leftist resistance and 70s funk. If it had been released a mere four or five years earlier, the highly politicized Kill My Landlord might have gained the Coup nationwide notoriety and platinum album sales. As it was, gangsta rap was all the rage and Kill My Landlord achieved only moderate sales, but nearly unanimous critical acclaim. A year later, the Coup's follow-up Genocide and Juice continued their agenda of socio/political insubordination. Not surprisingly, the Coup again received more support from critics than the record buying public. The next several years saw the Coup go through career-threatening changes. They ended their association with their label, Wild Pitch, and suspended their activity as a band. With the band dormant, Boots went to work for a shipping company but continued his political activism. Among other endeavors, he headed the Young Comrades, a group of social activists whose activities included storming the Oakland City Council. Boots' rap partner E-Roc left the group and Pam continued her DJing. In 1998, the Coup, now a duo of Boots and Pam, resurfaced on the Bay Area independent label Dogday. The result, Steal This Album, was their best-conceived and executed album to date. ~ Mtume Salaam, All Music Guide

by the way here is proof that the story is true....

www.snopes.com./

Urban Legends Reference Pages

Claim: A hip-hop group released an album depicting an exploding World Trade Center on the cover.

Origins: The image pictures the planned cover art (prepared in June 2001) for the forthcoming "Party Music" album by the hip-hop group The Coup. The cover depicts The Coup with an exploding World Trade Center in the background; group member DJ Pam the Funktress waves two sticks held between thumbs and forefingers (as if "conducting" the proceedings with two batons) while "Boots" Riley displays what looks like a detonator (but is actually just a guitar tuner).

Riley explained the symbolism behind the cover:

I came up with the idea with the photographer. We took the pictures on May 15, and we were done with it by the beginning of June. Any similarities are totally coincidental, and it was originally supposed to be more of a metaphor for destroying capitalism -- where the music is making capitalist towers blow up. The politics of the Coup have more to do with the people organizing each other.

The cover art was only preliminary, however, and the album was not due to be released until November. The artwork has been pulled from the web site of the group's label (75 Ark), and the cover will be redesigned before the release date.

Note that the although the World Trade Center towers were used for the picture, the New York skyline is not visible, nor are any airplanes shown crashing into the towers. The artwork was merely intended to depict the destruction of a generic "tall building" and thus was not a harbinger of recent events, although by coincidence it did prove to be disturbingly congruent with the horrors of 11 September 2001.

Dream Theater's "Live Scenes from New York" album, which had been released with a cover depicting a burning New York City skyline (including the World Trade Center buildings), has been recalled and will be re-issued with new artwork:

Finally, the New York indie electronic duo I Am the World Trade Center are shortening their name to I Am The . . ., at least for now.

Additional information:

Album Cover of WTC Blast Pulled (CNN) ====FROM CNN...(CNN) -- For the album cover of its new CD, "Party Music," the Oakland, California-based hip-hop group The Coup pictured its two members, "Boots" Riley and DJ Pam the Funktress, in front of the exploding twin towers of the World Trade Center.

In the picture, DJ Pam is holding two sticks while Riley holds what appears to be a detonator. The artwork was designed in July and was preliminary; the album is due to be released November 6.

Riley was shocked and expressed great regret when the image came true.

"All life is precious and this tremendous tragedy is by no means taken lightly by The Coup," he said in a statement. "This is a very unfortunate coincidence and my condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims."

The intent, he said, was to use the World Trade Center to symbolize capitalism "and was not supposed to be realistic in its depiction." The Coup is known for its political activism.

"The Coup are deeply saddened by this horrible tragedy," Toni Isabella, general manager of the group's label, 75 Ark, said in a statement. "The Coup advocates change, but change through peaceful means, never through violence."

Daria Kelly, director of sales for the label, told Reuters the artwork was pulled from the label's Web site by 9:30 p.m. PDT Tuesday. The cover will be redesigned.

The Coup's Bomb (TheStranger.com)

Dude, you write too much.

I've lost interest. Not that I really cared in the first place.

If you wanna believe a rap group that no one gives two shits about predicted the bombing than go for it. Just make sure you don't tell anyone in person or you're facing some serious rejective laughs.

Originally posted by djjonstephen

Dude, you write too much.

I've lost interest. Not that I really cared in the first place.

If you wanna believe a rap group that no one gives two shits about predicted the bombing than go for it. Just make sure you don't tell anyone in person or you're facing some serious rejective laughs.

what the fuck i s everybody's problem? i don't think they predicted it i think its a strange coincidence and the coincicdence did happen its on CNN some people here think the whole story is made up? i simply posted something i found interesting and everybody ganged up on me. i could give a fuk about this story fuck it end it already i'm sorry i brought up

ok ok ok you got the last word in could we please end this nonsense now? this is ridiculous i do not n-joy arguing on a messageboard and i never go around insulting people or looking to pick fight on messageboards or in life. enuff

all i did was post something i found to be interesting and people started insulting me & doubting the story(which is fine). i never claimed to believe the rappers predicted the tragedy i just think its bugged out that they had that artwork b4 the incident happened.

i'm sorry i posted now i know not to post anything on this board cuz its just asking to ganged up on & verbally abused by people who don't have to face you to insult you.

TELL ME THE PLACE AND TIME SO I COULD BASH YOUR FUKIN SKULL IN!! IM NOT FAWKING JOKING! I LOST FAMILY MEMBERS IN THIS FAWKING DISASTER AND YOUR HERE POSTING ABOUT THIS FAWKIN STUPID ASS RAP GROUP THATS SAYS THEY MADE THIS ALBUM COVER WAY BEFORE THE ACTUAL DISASTER!! COME ON NOW!!! ARE YOU THAT FUKIN STUPID!!! THAT COVER CLEARLY SHOWS THAT IT WAS FUKIN MADE UP !! FUKIN IDIOT!!!

JUST TELL ME THE TIME AND PLACE YOU FUKIN FAGGET!!!!!