Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Effexor + E

my doctor just put me on effexor, an antidepressant. yes, all of the e caught up to me and severely depleted my serotonin. although i'm taking a break now, i plan on rolling again in a couple months. does anyone know how the antidepressant will affect my roll? it's not exactly like prozac or SSRI's - it works on the norepinephrine and dopamine systems as well as the serotonin system. my doctor said it's not dangerous to mix, but does anyone have personal experience with this combo?

to answer your question Romy20 - i've rolled every weekend for the past 8 months. at least 2 pills, usually 3 or 4. and on rare occasions a couple times a week. for the 1st few months, i felt no negative effects. i never even got the post-roll depression. i was in school full-time still pulling off my 4.0 in bio. summer got a little crazier. slowly i started to feel depressed, only the 1st couple days after rolling though. i started taking 5htp, and i thought that helped. (fyi - i recently asked my psychiatrist and he said it's a waste of money - the molecules can't cross the blood-brain barrier, so it's just a placebo effect.) then about a month ago i got seriously depressed - i just couldn't stop crying for days. my life is complicated, so there's tons of reasons, but all the drugs definitely contributed to it. my doctor put me on effexor to help fix the damage i did to my serotonin system. this weekend will be 4 weeks since i've taken a pill. i'm feeling a lot better and i don't even have the desire to roll.

for the rest of you who seem to pass judgment pretty quickly, i realize that i fucked up my brain. obviously i've learned my lesson not to roll every weekend. i'm taking a good long break. but i'll probably still roll a few times a year. i don't drink, so e is my fun. you know we all like to get fucked up. i posted this question hoping to get input from people who have been on antidepressants. i know you're out there - i'm surprised at how many of my close clubbing friends are on meds. please don't tell me never to do e again - i have doctors and parents to lecture me.

• 2 weeks later...