Clubplanet Nightlife Community

so my sig finally has a graphic in it...

Originally posted by thehacker

so my sig finally has a graphic in it...

i held off cuz i didn't want it to be anything cheesy.

if anyone wants to know the science behind how i created this, feel free to ask -- i'd love to tell.

Nah, I'd rather discuss the timing of Ooana's signature about being some fag princess, and how it correlated to Mario finally coming out of the closet :letsgo::shaky: :hat2:

- Pete"itsafuckingjokepeopleajokemovealongtheresnothingtoseehere"

:cool:

Dayum....someone's battin' 100 today eh? ;)

-Oo

Originally posted by schwingep

Nah, I'd rather discuss the timing of Ooana's signature about being some fag princess, and how it correlated to Mario finally coming out of the closet :letsgo::shaky: :hat2:

- Pete"itsafuckingjokepeopleajokemovealongtheresnothingtoseehere"

:cool:

Originally posted by ooana

Tell us :)

WARNING - some really geeky shit coming up

okay so back in college i wrote a paper on artificial

intelligence and various algorithms to simulate

things in the real world.

one of them i came across is called the "a-life"

(artificial life) algorithm...

it goes like this:

For each cell in the array do the following:

Count the number of living neighbors of the cell.

Determine the cell status in the next generation as follows:

If the count is 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, then set the corresponding cell in another array called newmap to be dead.

If the count is 3, then set the corresponding cell to be alive.

If the count is 2, then set the corresponding cell to be the same as the cell in array map (since the status of a cell with count 2 does not change).

Copy the array newmap into the array map.

Print the array map for the user.

long story short, each member of the population (a pixel) spawns children or dies out depending on how many members of the population surround it.

i actually coded this in pascal and was dazzled by the results.

years later...

the literature magazine of stevens tech, red shift, was desperately seeking poetry and artwork (as they always are). i submitted poetry once before, and did again, however had never given thought to coming up with an original piece of art to submit.

in random experiments with photoshop, i noticed that cool shit would happen to images if i ran the "blur more" filter, followed by the "sharpen more" filter and repeated this a few times.

then i realized that the effect of doing that was not unlike the A-Life algorithm... by running blur more you're "spreading a population" and by running sharpen more you're "letting nature takes it course" (the contrast of all the pixels gets sharper, thus some pixels "die out")

photoshop has a mechanism for creating a macro. so i made one that runs "blur more" then "sharpen more" 8 times. then i made another that calls that action 8 times. and another that calls That one 8 times. and so forth until i created an action that blurs more, sharpens more, 1024 times.

the box in the upper right of the graphic in my sig is a magnified view of the 7 by 7 pixel "seed" i doodled. and the organic looking thing in the graphic is what the seed became after being blurred and sharpened 1024 times.

so now you know...

Heh. Niice ;)

Very cool indeed.

Now go onto Amazon and order Hyperion by Dan Simmons *immediately*, you'd enjoy it :-)

-Oo

Originally posted by thehacker

WARNING - some really geeky shit coming up

okay so back in college i wrote a paper on artificial

intelligence and various algorithms to simulate

things in the real world.

one of them i came across is called the "a-life"

(artificial life) algorithm...

it goes like this:

For each cell in the array do the following:

Count the number of living neighbors of the cell.

Determine the cell status in the next generation as follows:

If the count is 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, then set the corresponding cell in another array called newmap to be dead.

If the count is 3, then set the corresponding cell to be alive.

If the count is 2, then set the corresponding cell to be the same as the cell in array map (since the status of a cell with count 2 does not change).

Copy the array newmap into the array map.

Print the array map for the user.

long story short, each member of the population (a pixel) spawns children or dies out depending on how many members of the population surround it.

i actually coded this in pascal and was dazzled by the results.

years later...

the literature magazine of stevens tech, red shift, was desperately seeking poetry and artwork (as they always are). i submitted poetry once before, and did again, however had never given thought to coming up with an original piece of art to submit.

in random experiments with photoshop, i noticed that cool shit would happen to images if i ran the "blur more" filter, followed by the "sharpen more" filter and repeated this a few times.

then i realized that the effect of doing that was not unlike the A-Life algorithm... by running blur more you're "spreading a population" and by running sharpen more you're "letting nature takes it course" (the contrast of all the pixels gets sharper, thus some pixels "die out")

photoshop has a mechanism for creating a macro. so i made one that runs "blur more" then "sharpen more" 8 times. then i made another that calls that action 8 times. and another that calls That one 8 times. and so forth until i created an action that blurs more, sharpens more, 1024 times.

the box in the upper right of the graphic in my sig is a magnified view of the 7 by 7 pixel "seed" i doodled. and the organic looking thing in the graphic is what the seed became after being blurred and sharpened 1024 times.

so now you know...

Originally posted by ooana

Heh. Niice ;)

Very cool indeed.

Now go onto Amazon and order Hyperion by Dan Simmons *immediately*, you'd enjoy it :-)

-Oo

added to my wishlist...

to be added to check-out at some point in the near future.

thanks for the recommendation.

read the back cover -- def. looks my speed.