Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is George Acosta Fading??????????

beyondo

ITS BEEN A COUPLE OF MONTHS OR SO SINCE SHADOW LOUNGE CLOSED ITS DOORS FOR GOOD.

AND NOT TO HAVE ANYTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF ITS OUTSTANDING 4 YEAR SUCCESS.

I FOR ONE REMEMBER BEING THERE ON OPENING NIGHT IN DECEMBER OF '97. CELEBRITIES ABOUND INCLUDING THE ROLLING STONES(SINCE GERRY KELLY WAS HEAD OF MARKETING THEN) THE MODEL CROWD HUDDLED THE DANCE FLOOR AND FILLED THE VIP BARS.

THE FORMAT WAS A BIT DIFFERENT THEN IT WAS PRETTY PEOPLE FLUFFY MUSIC.

THEN THE 4 OWNERS SPLIT AND TWO JUST STAYED BOBBY AND DADE AND THE FORMAT WAS TO BE MORE DJ ORIENTED .

AND DJ ORIENTED IT WAS. EVERYONE GRACED THE DECKS THERE FROM SASHA, DIGWEED, OAKIE, PICOTTO,TIMO MAAS, AND OUR VERY OWN GA "ACOSTANATION" WAS BORN

NOBODY CAN DENY THAT IN LATE 99 AND 2000 ON ANY GIVEN SATURDAY NIGHT AT SHADOW WHEN GEORGE WAS PLAYING THE ENERGY WAS UNMATCHED.

BAR ROOM WAS NICE , LIQUID WAS IN ITS LAST LEG, AND NEW FOUND LEVEL HAD A BIG CROWD BUT NO ENERGY.

SINCE THOSE GLORY DAYS MANY PEOPLE CLOSE TO GEORGE QUESTION HIS ATTITUDE AND "COCKINESS". AND SINCE HE WAS A DRAW AND TRANCE BECAME A MEGA HIT IT WAS OVER LOOKED.

I ADMIT I HATED TO SEE THE LAST FEW MONTHS OF SHADOW LOUNGE PACKED WITH A GOD AWFUL UGLY CROWD WHILE CLUB PATRONS WENT ON TO SPACE AND CROBAR.

IT DESERVED BETTER THAN THAT.

NOW GA IS STARTING A NEW NIGHT AT LEVEL EVERY MONTH CALLED "THE NEXT LEVEL". AND HE DOES HAVE A NICE TOUR SCHEDULE .

BUT IS THAT TRANCE GETING PLAYED OUT???

HE IS PLAYING SONGS THAT ARE ON Y 100 (DURING THE DAY) BELIEVE ME ITS WHAT WE PLAY AT WORK .

WITH OTHER HOME BASED RESIDENTS QUICKLY FILLING IN GA IS PRETTY MUCH GONE UNNOTICED.

EDGAR V QUIETLY FILLED IN SIMILAR IF NOT BETTER MUSIC THAN HIM AT SPACE

OSCAR G IS PLAYING THAT HARD DARK HOUSE THATS CATCHING ON AGAIN....

AND MIAMI'S NEW SWEETHEART IS IVANO BELLINI WITH THE INFAMOUS "PATIO MUSIC"

GA YOUR ATTITUDE DOESNT HELP EITHER BURNIGN BRIDGES WITH OTHER DJS AND CLUB OWNERS WILL HAVE YOU SITTING ON THE SIDELINES SOON ....JUST ASK DAVID PADILLA.:idea:

I have to agree with you beyondo. what really pulled me away, from the trance sound; is the lack of growth. it's been a long time, since I’ve heard a trance song, which has captivated me. I like progressive house, because it incorporates the elements of trance, and house. Edgar V, Oscar G, and Ivanno Bellini, are among the best talent south florida has.. not to mention, we have up and coming talent,like Eddie S. I give full props to OscarG, because he was really at the forefront, of bringing, the deep dark progressive house sound, to Miami. I’m very impressed, with the local talent we have now. our talented pool of dj’s; is among the best around.

peace, sobeton

Originally posted by sobeton

I have to agree with you beyondo. what really pulled me away, from the trance sound; is the lack of growth. it's been a long time, since I’ve heard a trance song, which has captivated me. I like progressive house, because it incorporates the elements of trance, and house. Edgar V, Oscar G, and Ivanno Bellini, are among the best talent south florida has.. not to mention, we have up and coming talent,like Eddie S. I give full props to OscarG, because he was really at the forefront, of bringing, the deep dark progressive house sound, to Miami. I’m very impressed, with the local talent we have now. our talented pool of dj’s; is among the best around.

peace, sobeton

Agreed. Its all about an decent mix of sounds and evolution of sounds...Its halarious to see the progressive house trend now though. Progressive house now, is as trendy as trance ever was. Its cool now to dis trance......"yeah I never liked that cheesy stuff" And of course the more obscure and less known a DJ is the better he is....gimme a break. Unfortunately, Prog. house has a growth envelope that will be reached just like all the rest. Thankfully there is probably enough talent out there to keep fresh new sounds coming.

Originally posted by attomic

Agreed. Its all about an decent mix of sounds and evolution of sounds...Its halarious to see the progressive house trend now though. Progressive house now, is as trendy as trance ever was. Its cool now to dis trance......"yeah I never liked that cheesy stuff" And of course the more obscure and less known a DJ is the better he is....gimme a break. Unfortunately, Prog. house has a growth envelope that will be reached just like all the rest. Thankfully there is probably enough talent out there to keep fresh new sounds coming.

trust me, its been reached already.

What's good is when styles are fused to evolve into something new.

Yes prog house seems to have the upper hand at the moment, but some of the best sets we've heard recently have had tinges of trance that build on their prog house base.

Trance got pushed a little too far and became a little too anthemic - every tune seemed to be competing for hands in the air. The advantage of prog house / prog trance is that it can be built over a series of records, going back to that whole 'DJ set as a journey' thing.

just the .junkies'. 2 cents :)

cooljunkie_logo_box.gif

its limit will not be reached!... looked at how many genres of music house has evolved into... prgressive, tribal, deep, jungle, etc. etc. etc.- and one of the latest i feel to be coming upon the scene incorporates the sound oh trance into house-

or tech-house...

this post wasnt to rip Acosta (besides his sometimes questionable attitide) and the music he spins.

in fact it was help to remember the dominance he had not too long ago. Acostanation was a force.

its a shame the radio and the Ft Laud scene cought up to it and killed it(trance)

now we got new mega residents EDGAR< OSCAR< IVANO

and he is not missed

they also know how to adjust to different sounds during the sets not to bore people and hit people with a little more variety in music to make all happy.

That's what happened. The rest of the urban markets, except NYC, caught up with trance....I knew trance was 'over' when I visited the town I grew up in, and someone was playing ATB. This kid was an ignorant, degenerate fool, and he had an ATB CD on...

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!!! I love both progressive house and trance equally....and while progressive house is the "in sound", trance is far from dead...whoever was at tiesto last nite knows what i mean...the vibe was one i had rarely ever experienced....

peace

Has everyone been taking notes???? The reason that all of these Genre's "die" is because everyone becomes so close-minded to all other genres at that time. Everyone plays Frogger and leaps from one style to another... and they all do it at the same time (see: Sheep).

The same people that swore by Trance a couple of years ago are now the ones that are swearing by Progressive house and they will be the same peopel that turn their backs on Progressive house when it becomes to "in". I am a die-hard househead but have an amazing respect for certain dj's & producers who do music other than house. I like a song because it's a good song.. not a good "Progressive house" song or "Trance" song. I see a similar pattern in nightclubs as well. One sheep leaves.. they all leave. I am veru unbiased when I say that Crobar is one of the best clubs as far as their dedication to having good music... in every shape & size. Where else can you go on a Saturday and hear Timo Maas and the next saturday hear DJ Heather from Chicago playing funky-house????? There are a few people on this board (Phrakadelic, Stacey, Danny and others) that I can truly tell that they are GENUINE lovers of all music- from Marques Wyatt to Parks & Wilson to Digweed to Paul Van Dyke.

Let's try an experiment... Go out to a club where a dj is playing that you normally wouldn't listen to! You might be surprised!

Originally posted by vaughanz

There are a few people on this board (Phrakadelic, Stacey, Danny and others) that I can truly tell that they are GENUINE lovers of all music- from Marques Wyatt to Parks & Wilson to Digweed to Paul Van Dyke.

Let's try an experiment... Go out to a club where a dj is playing that you normally wouldn't listen to! You might be surprised!

I would like to do that........does the fact that I took kids to the Blink-182 concert in August count?? hehe that was certainly different and not something I would normally listen to......but yeah I would like to check out drum n bass nights......experimental "IDM" oerformances.....when I go to key west to Wax where they play straight-up house, thats always fun........I am kinda getting tired of prog house, and I don't even go out that often! I am still very sorry that I completely missed out on psy-trance when it was going strong........

Originally posted by vaughanz

The same people that swore by Trance a couple of years ago are now the ones that are swearing by Progressive house and they will be the same peopel that turn their backs on Progressive house when it becomes to "in". I am a die-hard househead but have an amazing respect for certain dj's & producers who do music other than house. I like a song because it's a good song.. not a good "Progressive house" song or "Trance" song. I see a similar pattern in nightclubs as well. One sheep leaves.. they all leave.

i couldnt agree with you more. i swore by trance 3 years ago and i still do, but i am open to all genres of electronic music, including progressive house which i happen to love as much as trance. you said it best when you stated "I like a song because it's a good song.. not a good "Progressive house" song or "Trance" song".

peace...