Clubplanet Nightlife Community

beat mixing question

ibclubbin

to the djs...

when you bring two tracks together that have fairly hard basslines, and you hear the beats in tune, do you ever hear the beats sort of, drop in and out?

this happens to me alot ,but i dont know if its normal, or if im mixing with too much lows

any input?

BG

are you talking about Basslines or Kicks?

I know in some of my mixes when im bring a track in, and they are both, or all 3 at the same level of volume, the kick almost seems to dissapear, almost as if the speaker can't handle all of the compacity and level of sound?

.. but I know exactly what your talking about, but I dont notice this happening to me any longer

Certain sounds can cancel each other out, others can cause a "phaser" effect. If the two songs you're trying to mix have very similar kicks and snares, you'll get a phaser effect because the two waveforms are so similar to each other. That may be what's happening . . although I can't be sure.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

Certain sounds can cancel each other out, others can cause a "phaser" effect. If the two songs you're trying to mix have very similar kicks and snares, you'll get a phaser effect because the two waveforms are so similar to each other. That may be what's happening . . although I can't be sure.

this is true. When the kicks are exactly in phase, they cancel each other out. Thats when you hear a missing or softer bass beat every two or three beats while your in the mix. I've had success with is pushing one of the beats slightly so they are not exactly in phase. Be careful not to push so much that you have a wreck.

Originally posted by djustinh

are you talking about Basslines or Kicks?

I know in some of my mixes when im bring a track in, and they are both, or all 3 at the same level of volume, the kick almost seems to dissapear, almost as if the speaker can't handle all of the compacity and level of sound?

.. but I know exactly what your talking about, but I dont notice this happening to me any longer

like justin said, another technique is to keep the songs at diff volume levels ie 10 and 7. Then readjust as you move across the fader.