Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Chemical Brothers saved my life...

Now, I have been going out quite a bit this year, and since Twilo closed I have been exploring the other clubs, seeing good DJs, meeting cool people, having fun wherever I go, and its been great. But last night at Centro-Fly with the Chemical Brothers, for the first time since my last night at Twilo, I had *that* feeling. The surging energy of a crowd going off it's face in love with the music, smiling uncontrollably to each other, every pair of eyes exchanging the "Can you believe this shit?" look, every peak being met with unadultered screams, whistles and almost tears. The banging beats overwhelming the room in waves and washes, the assured belief that this was a room of friends- and for me it was....I ran into my old buddies, and 3 kids I studied with in Florence (none of whom had come together!) BUT the ultimate truth of the evening, is that my feet COULD NOT leave the dance floor- not for one second did I budge from my frenzied dive into the mass of moving bodies....not for water, bathroom, air....not once. Then they tricked us into thinking it was over at 4, went to get my bag and rush to my train...but OH, it was back on, so I said "Fuck U" to the 4:22 train, tied my backpack on tight, and danced for another hour, till the closing DJ (also fantastic) finally released my from the spell at around 5;15....I was dead set on closing it out, but there were only a couple ppl left, and I didn't know if I was really down to say hello to the 6:35 just for one or two more tracks....

So riding home on the 5:29, with the biggest smile on my cracked out face, listening to CB's first CD, which started me on this whole journey into "electronica", I wanted to say "thank you" - i don't even know to who...thank you to the Chemical Brothers for bringing the music, thank you to the crowd for bringing the vibe, thank you to the twists of life that bring you to these moments of absolute satisfaction in the most suprising and unexpected of ways.

Well I guess I just needed to share. Anyone else there? I didn't see any CPers, amazingly, but then again, like I said, I didn't move from my spot :D

Originally posted by saigray

...listening to CB's first CD, which started me on this whole journey into "electronica"...

my first introduction to electronica: chemical brother's 1995 album "Exit Planet Dust", track 4. Three Little Birdies Down Beats, and well, as they say, the rest is history.

I agree with all of your points......except the music!

Sorry to be a downer but I saw the Chemical Brothers at Woodstock 99 and they were by far my favorite act of the entire three day weekend. So naturally I gather a good sized group of friends/acquaintances for another opportunity to see them. It was our first time at Centro-Fly and we all enjoyed the club very much. The bartenders, waitress in the black/white room, and general vibe of the crowd was incredible! But I must say that the music was incredibly weak. Maybe its because we are mainly into jungle now, but those were some really watered down beats to match the really watered down dancing. Maybe its because we are mainly into jungle now and I know space was at a premium, but those were some really watered down beats to match the really watered down dancing going on. Take away the fact that it was crowded, that people were dancing on tables, the fact that it was the Chemical Brothers, and your left with nice people enjoying house music........not bad, but definately not what I was expecting. ESPECIALLY for $30 considering that Centro-Fly is $10 to get in any other night on the guest list. Three people out of our group of 8 left 30 minutes into the Brothers set and the rest of us left just before 4:00am. Did it really pick up after that?

D

I am also one of those people who first got turned on to "electronica" after discovering the Chems. "Exit Planet Dust" is a masterpiece. I heard it after "Dig Your Own Hole" and just love it so much better. It's a dance classic.

I think they did an amazing set at Centro, but it was just too crowded to really get a good groove on. As is the case when more well-known dance acts perform, there were too many people just standing around on the floor who were either too interested in making out or who thought they were too cool to actually dance. I hate paying $30 to not be able to go nuts on the dance floor. I was totally feeling the music and if I'd been able to groove more it would have been more of an intense experience for me. I think the Chems threw down some of the best beats I have ever heard at a club (up there with DT).

woulda been cool to be there to compare it to seeing

them at roseland a while back (after dig your own hole

was released)... but then again, maybe that was enough.

the work on surrender is a lot more ambient/private

and made for your head. exit planet dust and dig your

own hole was a lot more intense for dancefloors.

it's possible i caught them at the best time...

Its so interesting how different ppls perception of the same evening can be. Well, u know how I felt.

Who came on after CB, btw...was that liquid todd? Or was he before?

As far as clearing out....they threw on go home music, and then switche back, so I think a lot of ppl left when that happened....

It didn't "pick up" crowd wise after that, but it was fun to have more dancing space and a lot of the ppl who stayed were really into it.

Wasn't that impressed with their performance. It was too crowded on the main dance floor, but overall I had a good time. Night just didn't go as expected. We had dinner reservations at 10 supposedly in the Tapioca room, then were called and said that something else was going on in that room, so we were moved to the crazy room where we had to eat our food among the clubbers. I must say that the food was good there. I was just hoping that we could have had some room to eat and not have to be the center of attention as everyone around us crowded in and watched us eat. Oh, well. We made the best of it. Other rooms had some funky music in there for a while. And some chic grabed my ass which my boyfriend found amusing!

Always have a great time in NYC no matter what the circumstances are!

Originally posted by roxxy0131

Wasn't that impressed with their performance. It was too crowded on the main dance floor, but overall I had a good time. Night just didn't go as expected. We had dinner reservations at 10 supposedly in the Tapioca room, then were called and said that something else was going on in that room, so we were moved to the crazy room where we had to eat our food among the clubbers. I must say that the food was good there. I was just hoping that we could have had some room to eat and not have to be the center of attention as everyone around us crowded in and watched us eat. Oh, well. We made the best of it. Other rooms had some funky music in there for a while. And some chic grabed my ass which my boyfriend found amusing!

Originally posted by roxxy0131

We made the best of it. Other rooms had some funky music in there for a while. And some chic grabed my ass which my boyfriend found amusing!

That girl got around that evening. I kept going downstairs to get my Disco groove on. The last time I made it down there, it sounds like the same chick who grabbed your ass grabbed mine too. My guy also got a kick out of it. A few minutes later, I got her back though. She wasn't too upset about it.....

All in all, I thought the Bros. threw down. I had to keep moving around though because there were a lot of people hanging around not dancing. It felt really foggy in there from the heat condensation. I totally dug the Pinky room and the whole decor of the place. And yeah, we left around 5:30/ 6AM when most everyone cleared out. Definitely not an afterhours place....

yeah, sounds like the same girl. She just walked by, pinched it and winked at me and kept walking. Hey, whatever. Pinky room was cool, not as crowded. I wish we had gotten to eat in the Tapioca room though, it was a cool decor. Does anyone know what was going on in there? We stayed til about 4:15 or so, then walked to some afterhours place that we were handed a flyer for, I can't remember the name, started with an A but it didn't look too hopping. Looked like a hip hop place. So we just headed home on our 2 hour ride back to CT.