Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jon Cowan Interview

cooljunkie

your cool buddy - thanks for the support...yes most of the dj's in the world do play miami...do you know why?? because companies like bliss bring you quality talent...do you remember the dave seaman residency?? how about when bliss brought deep dish to miami for the first time?? guess you forgot when I first brought the likes of Nick Warren, slacker, quivver, anthony pappa, and parks & Wilson to miami amongst countless others..this board is not too bash others buddy..all I can say is get a life....for all those who do support myself and bliss thankyou...to those who have nothing better than too tell a complete stranger to fuck off on a public forum all I can say is good luck because your life is pretty fucking sad!!

I'm not exactly neutral in this affair, as A) I am with CJ, and B) I know Jon, and he's a stand-up guy...

But if you honestly look back, I'd honestly say 2/3rds of the quality events down here as far as house goes, are Jon and Bliss' doing...July 4th at Space, this Friday @ crobar, etc..

And whether you like what JC drops or not, you did come across a little harsh, Beyondo. I know your motto is "I tell it like it is" or some other line you stole from Andy Rooney, but I think you could be civil and not provoke people to respond in a harsh manner.

see again Pod everyone has a right to their opinion and i know you know your shit wethere we agree or not.

but

most of your opinions are based cuz theyre buddies with yours.

and my call it as i see it attitude comes from radio show hosts Howard Stern and Neil Rogers.:idea:

JC BLISS dis you go back and read your interview on cooljunkie.com?????

dint you do some bashing of the scene? and some genre of music?

seems you ddint like it when i did it to you.

Bliss has done some good events. there are also many many great events that Bliss had nothing to do with which you not only failed to praise but kinda ripped.

:mad:

I thought it was a cool article, but I have to disagree about trance not being the "way forward" and stuff like that......I mean who is to say what music is better and somehow more "serious?" Why can't trance and progressive co-exist? What is the definition for pushing the music forward, anyway? Trance may not be putting out anything new and exciting, but is progressive house really doing that either? I mean, for me, sure, many tracks come out that I do enjoy......but largely I feel that "progressive" has been stuck in the same thumpy-thumpy mode for almost 2 years. While most trance these days may not be pushing any boundaries, I fail to see how so many of these very ordinary, run of the mill percussive prog tunes are delivering something new and exciting. I'm so tired of the whole boring-is-the-new-interesting school of thought, I wish the pendulum would swing back more to tunes with actual tunes. I think this is happening, albeit it rather slowly.......

I think Jon was speaking of trance in general.......I've always felt that a good song is a good song whether it be trance, progressive, breakbeats, drum and bass......the thing is that "trance" in general has a very uniformed pattern that makes most trance all sound the same and repetitive....but there is good trance out there......I'll say it again....I do miss Union jack.....:(

Beyondo> not cool. :( What's with everybody insulting each other on this BBS these days?

Meng> good point. A good track is a good track. Period. I love to hear DJs that will throw down breaks, house, tech house, prog, etc... (a la Burridge) all in the same set. I think it keeps the set fresh and fun.

I'm not sure what style of music EV spins, tech trance/house breaks etc etc but, I have heard people say he spins trance. If what EV spins is trance then I really like trance and that's what I think about the whole trance debate. As far as JC is concerned one thing is for sure, JC brings alot of talent to South FL and that is a fact that is not up for debate in my opinion. Great interview of JC CJ.

I would like to thank club planet for removing beyondo's original post. I'd also like to thank all of you that are showing me support. I like mengs statement about trance...its just simple...same patterns same sounds...its just not constructive...sorry if my first post was a bit harsh but for someone to say "F.U. Jon Cowan" on a public board especially when you do not even know me is way out of line...you may like what I play...you may not..thats your perogotive but don't personally rip on someone....that just shows your mentality....as for the way I play...I am proud of it.... I must be a really bad dj too get booked at clubs such as renaissance, gatecrasher, slinky...bad clubs and they sure have a bad taste in music...LOL-anyways too all of you that I may have offended I am sorry...to beyondo - grow up and get a life!!

Originally posted by patrickl

but largely I feel that "progressive" has been stuck in the same thumpy-thumpy mode for almost 2 years.

I wouldnt say all of prog house is there, but I know exactly what you mean.

There are fewer and fewer songs that make me smile when they come on. Everyone is going for that deep sound, and everyone is going for it in the same way. What we get is monotony :(