Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Job Question for y'all......

Has anyone here ever changed career paths? I majored in communications. (dumb ass major - DONT DO IT!!!) Right now I am in the advertising industry (for the past 2 years) and I want to get out sooooo very bad. I hate it so much. My past experience includes interning at various radio stations, working at a radio rep firm and now this. Do you think anyone would give me a chance in a totally different industry? Or maybe not cause they'll want someone who has more experience in that industry than me.......

So has anyone sucessfully/unsucessfully changed career industries? Any advice or stories would be awesome......

THANKS!!!

:cool:

I did Psychology because I like people and helping other. Well, I plan on going to grad school but not until I am 30yrs old. I am doing IT work right now and I hate it. I got a certficate from Cisco on networking and I can't get a job in it. I am worth at least 60K but because the economy is so bad that my company is not even paying me to do their networking work. They are saying that I can put it on my resume as experiance.

Well what I am getting at is that the economy is so bad that people who made 6 figures last year are willing to do the same work for half of that. Also they want people with experiance which sucks becuase if you go to college and expect to make the best salary you have to start at the bottom even though you might have more understanding on somethings than the other person because you went through college.

Stay where you are until the market calls for you. Better to have some kind of a job right now than to have no job at all.

. . Depends on what you're qualifications are outside of your areas of study. . Do you have hobbies or skills that you've picked up over the years that could potentially be useful as a career path?. . chances are you do. . The most important thing to remember is that if you love it enough, you'll be successfull at it . .

I have been in the same type of field, different jobs, for 7 years now. (social service/psych/counseling) Prior to that, for 5 years, I was a dancer. (no not ballet or whatetever, yes go-go). I had no experience in the field and didn't even have my bachelor's. Now, granted, I chose a field that is extremely underpaid for the work that is done, but I didn't expect to make the "big bucks" without experience or a degree.

I still don't make even half what PINTU's worth, but the benefits are great with my agency. I think that I could put assholes in teddybears for a living if the working conditions and benes are right. Then again, I would put up with worse conditions for $60k a year. No employer is perfect and it is all a trade off, so if you know what is important to you (not the field, but working conditions, money, travel opportunities, insurance/pension, etc.) put yourself out there and you will find something that will fit you pretty nicely.

Good luck with it. :)

Wow everyone thanks for the advice.......

xpander what are you looking to do in the advertising field?

I sure as hell am greatful that I have a job at a time like this. I know there are people that are 10 million times worse off than me.

But the thing is - the working conditions and the overall atmosphere is terrible.

I know things are terrible with the economy right now and I am gonna have to wait it out a bit....

Whew if I only knew then what I know now...........

:(

<== Aspiring Media Planner/creative

I mean, I'd offer advice, but I know nothing about career changes in life. Hell, I'm still worried about getting a job after college.

I've a job in ad sales right now...not the best thing for me, but it's pretty good. Nowadays it feels like that "hold on to your job for dear life" mentality works well.

Squeezemay, I'll take your job if you don't want it...:tongue: Where do you work anyways? It sounds pretty bad for you to dislike it that badly...:confused:

I have been in the IT field since 3 years now and im still into it !!!

the market is down so u will not see jobs out there !! u need to give at least 1 year for it to come back up !! i dont know what the FUCK BUSH is doing by bombing afghanistan and fucking the economy more day by day !! this fuckin SUCKS !! if i loose my job im moving out to europe fuck that !!!

a bad economy just means job security for those of us in social service! Look into it, as when everyone else is crying that they are out of work, we are doing just fine! actually, we haven't seen a major resurgence onto the welfare rolls, so the "underclass" hasn't been hit by a bad economy yet, at least here in SNJ.

Hey xpander - sounds like you have your heart set on what you want to do. You will probably like it - in my case - its just not for me. I dont work at an agency but I work for a major competitive media supplier which means I am basically on the phone with agencies all day. My workplace wouldnt exist if it werent for agencies.......

Yeah I know that I gotta wait a year or so for the economy situation to get better - but I dont think I can......I am considering maybe getting a job that I am overqualified for .....

I just dont know what to do. Every minute I am here is like agony.......

Yeah, advertising sucks. I majored in music production/engineering and ended up working in an ad agency for two years after I graduated and I absolutely hated it. Since I quit working there, I've just been DJing, selling a few cds of my original shit and trying to get my label running. But I've also been teaching myself new skills in case my music isn't able to pay the rent such as downloading cracked software and learning how to use it and shit. It might be more impressive to future employers if they see that you've taken the initiative to learn new related skills on your own. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Originally posted by squeezemay

Hey xpander - sounds like you have your heart set on what you want to do. You will probably like it - in my case - its just not for me. I dont work at an agency but I work for a major competitive media supplier which means I am basically on the phone with agencies all day. My workplace wouldnt exist if it werent for agencies.......

Yeah I know that I gotta wait a year or so for the economy situation to get better - but I dont think I can......I am considering maybe getting a job that I am overqualified for .....

I just dont know what to do. Every minute I am here is like agony.......

hang on to the bitter pill....that's all i gotta say

And it sound slike you work the exactl opposite of what i do...lol

And to say the truth, it ain't all about the money....if you're overqualified but it makes you happy.....well...