Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Few q's on JP

nycdee

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the guys' music as well as factory but I do have a few questions about his credibility as renoun DJ. I was looking around at some old posts as well as new ones here and on sicktracks. I've noticed that when people are rating DJ's (Even local DJ contest) that JP doesn't come up that often. Sure, some people bring his name up and praise him, but why is it he doesn't come up more often? For anyone that knows him or has chilled around/with before knows that the man praises himself? ! I've spoken to other DJ's like Johnny Vicious and they aren't nearly as modest. Some people would even rate Vicious above JP.... idk.. just some thoughts i have... anyone care to comment?

when it comes to rating the best DJs in the world, JP's name will not come up for obvious reasons. Not enought exposure...just coz he has a small following who totally adore him does not mean that the general public does.

I've seen him a few times, and personally I just think he's OK. Talking about Djs local to the east coast (barring Deep Dish, Saeed & Palash, and DT), I would take Scott Henry over JP anyday.

My 2 cents

Originally posted by raver_mania

when it comes to rating the best DJs in the world, JP's name will not come up for obvious reasons. Not enought exposure...just coz he has a small following who totally adore him does not mean that the general public does.

I've seen him a few times, and personally I just think he's OK. Talking about Djs local to the east coast (barring Deep Dish, Saeed & Palash, and DT), I would take Scott Henry over JP anyday.

My 2 cents

I second that motion.

Thats a good question, May I suggest that maybe one of the reasons that JP does not come up when rating/comparing DJ's is because he is in a league of his own. That is to say that he is nor better or worse , just a different level.

But If I may, my own (and rarely given) opinion about JP is that he is AWSOME , I maybe a bit jaded b/c I am a huge S/F supporter and the two go together very well.

I'll stop now and spare you all. lol

I love JP. Been a fan for years, and think what that man can do in the booth is amazing. When's he's on, it's simply incredible!!

He doesn't have the exposure that some of the other international big names get. I don't know why that is. Maybe he spends too much of his time in the studio.. His true following is DIE HARD though.

I'd like to see how he does overseas.

Another thing I've notcied is that I have never heard the style of music, or felt the vibe that JP brings to SF anywhere else. The sick remixes that he does and the hard, deep, evil beats that he drops, that I love, I never hear anywhere else, not the way he does it. I just love the way he'll tease you with a song all night, dropping the beat in bits and pieces and you know it's coming you just don't know when. It gets to the point where you're like, for the love of God, please play it...

The effects he adds with the Roland EF 303 are insane.

I've seen some of the big names, Cox,SnD,DT,Deep Dish, Sander K, and but they don't play those heart rattling beats that JP throws at you..

Originally posted by bionic

I love JP. Been a fan for years, and think what that man can do in the booth is amazing. When's he's on, it's simply incredible!!

He doesn't have the exposure that some of the other international big names get. I don't know why that is. Maybe he spends too much of his time in the studio.. His true following is DIE HARD though.

Another thing I've notcied is that I have never heard the style of music, or felt the vibe that JP brings to SF anywhere else. The sick remixes that he does and the hard, deep, evil beats that he drops, that I love, I never hear anywhere else, not the way he does it. I just love the way he'll tease you with a song all night, dropping the beat in bits and pieces and you know it's coming you just don't know when. It gets to the point where you're like, for the love of God, please play it...

I've seen some of the big names, Cox,SnD,DT,Deep Dish, Sander K, and but they don't play those heart rattling beats that JP throws at you..

If you like the really hard stuff, check out Richie Hawtin, Derrick May, etc...those techno DJs really know how to throw it down...Richie Hawtin is in a league of his own!

Originally posted by bionic

That was beautifully put... I "second that notion"

I just can't quite hit that comfort level anywhere else except factory..... I want to check out other big name DJ's more often when they come to town though.......

Originally posted by nycdee

That was beautifully put... I "second that notion"

I just can't quite hit that comfort level anywhere else except factory..... I want to check out other big name DJ's more often when they come to town though.......

True, but you guys probably enjoy the whole experience, rather than just JP. For example, if JP spun at some other club, for 7 hours, I'm sure that it will not be the same as his marathon sets at factory.

I think a DJ's power lies in his/her ability to duplicate that "experience" wherever they spin.

the pro and con of having your own "place":

PRO: die hard fans, every sat night is "yours", great to build and rep.

CON: it limits the amount of people that are exposed to you. I mean not everyone likes SF or has the ability or desire to frequent the place. ie: age requirement, location...

JP is a very god DJ but when u compare hime to DT, Carl Cox, Tiesto,PVD,S&D, he plays a differnt type of music then many other DJ"S AND DOESN"T TRAVEL VERY MUCH AND IS NEVER OVER SEA"S. so it doesn't help him out very much and also how often do u see him communicate with people which doesn't help him very much

True, but you guys probably enjoy the whole experience, rather than just JP. For example, if JP spun at some other club, for 7 hours, I'm sure that it will not be the same as his marathon sets at factory.

I think a DJ's power lies in his/her ability to duplicate that "experience" wherever they spin.

I agree. I've never seen him in LA or in SOBE so I don't know what he's like at other venues but I'd love to find out.

I've been going to SF for years and am very comfortable there, even though i don't go much anymore (i'm gettin too old), but agree again that SF is an experience - One thats tough to give up!!

As was a discussion on the JP board which I'm on, under a different name, I wish he didn't have 15hr sets and cut it back to say 8-10hrs and would have a solid sick set and not play the sometimes same monotaneous filler beats he seems to play from time to time.

I don't know how he can spin for that long. I can't even listen to it for 1/2 of that time before my head feels like its gonna explode. So how this guy is still on point for 15hrs straight is a mystery.

Some say its not a mystery and he gives Tina a call..... I think the jury is still out on that one.

If you like the really hard stuff, check out Richie Hawtin, Derrick May, etc...those techno DJs really know how to throw it down...Richie Hawtin is in a league of his own!

Totally agree... All of my best nights were in Factory...

He tried to set up a residency at levels in Miami like 3 years ago. They hated him and drove him out of town. He's not that great of a DJ. Most people who love him don't really listen to other DJ's and refuse to give other guys a chance. They have blinders on. I'm not saying that he sucks or anything because I don't think he does. I've had some of the best times with him both at the Factory and at La Boom in Cancun. I just think he doesn't compare to guys like DT or Hawtin. I think he could get to their level one day, he's just not there yet.

Danny For President!

Originally posted by stolio

He tried to set up a residency at levels in Miami like 3 years ago. They hated him and drove him out of town. He's not that great of a DJ. Most people who love him don't really listen to other DJ's and refuse to give other guys a chance. They have blinders on. I'm not saying that he sucks or anything because I don't think he does. I've had some of the best times with him both at the Factory and at La Boom in Cancun. I just think he doesn't compare to guys like DT or Hawtin. I think he could get to their level one day, he's just not there yet.

Danny For President!

This is true.

The following that go to Factory are closed to other DJ'S for the most part not entirerly. Don't get me wrong I have had some of the sickest nights in FACTORY MAYBE BECAUSE OF THE VIBE.

Peters is sick but sometimes he does fill. They should have a opening act for 4 hours then he should come and rip it. The sickest set I heard was at TWILO with there international acts.

Paul Van Dyk used to tear the roof off that place just insanity

I MISS TWILO.......