Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Orb

meng

This is an artist that rarely gets mentioned here and I just came across his latest DJ set on groovetech and thought I'd share it with you guys. Dr. Alex Patterson of the Orb spins the craziest shit ever. If you want to lose your mind a little bit and just trip out, then check out his latest set here: http://www.groovetech.com/PhoenixData/SilverStream/Pages/srvltRecMed?RecordedMediaID=68712

This set sounds like an alien radio station broadcasting on this planet.

No he's not a med doctor. His nickname is "The Doctor" because he's like a sound doctor. You'll notice what I'm talking about as soon as his set starts. Watch out for a Rolling Stones song about 9 minutes into the set and other surprises along the way. Enjoy the ride! :)

This is a DJ set but if you haven't picked up any orb CD's, I highly reccommend that you do if you like ambient madness-chilled out music. There is nothing like The Orb. They are one of a kind. At one point listening to one of their tracks on the way home from a long night of partying I realized that the Orb is so ambient that you could have it playing in the background for the rest of your life and it would fit just fine. :D

Can you tell they're one of my favorite artists?

Indeed, Tony. :cool:

You know once I changed the radio station at my job from Coast 97.3 FM to an Orb CD(it was Orbus Terrarrum...one of their more ambient works). The Cd finished over an hour later and I switched back to the Coast. Nobody noticed. :idea:

Originally posted by meng

Indeed, Tony. :cool:

You know once I changed the radio station at my job from Coast 97.3 FM to an Orb CD(it was Orbus Terrarrum...one of their more ambient works). The Cd finished over an hour later and I switched back to the Coast. Nobody noticed. :idea:

You played Orbus Terrarrum at an office and no one noticed? That is a praise-worthy feat! I don't think I'd get away with it at any of the offices I've worked at.

The Orb is great. I wish I could catch one of their vaunted live performances. adventures beyond the ultraworld is my favorite, I can't believe that stuff came out around 1991. No one ever told me about any of this, I think I was consumed by Metallica's Black Album at the time.

I've seen the Orb perform live twice. The first time was for the Orblivion tour.....amazing.....and the last time was for their Cydonia tour last year. Cydonia kinda sucks...it's easily their worst effort....it has a few cool tracks but forget it....compared to all their other albums, Cydonia shouldn't even be in the same ballpark. The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is their first album which came out like what? 10 years ago? It's definitely one of their best if not their best album. I think at the time of their first album I was still listening to Skid Row and Poison.....totally clueless to any electronic music being produced for sure....I still hadn't even gotten into my grunge phase with Primus and Alice and Chains yet......

Originally posted by meng

I've seen the Orb perform live twice. The first time was for the Orblivion tour.....amazing.....and the last time was for their Cydonia tour last year. Cydonia kinda sucks...it's easily their worst effort....it has a few cool tracks but forget it....compared to all their other albums, Cydonia shouldn't even be in the same ballpark. The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is their first album which came out like what? 10 years ago? It's definitely one of their best if not their best album. I think at the time of their first album I was still listening to Skid Row and Poison.....totally clueless to any electronic music being produced for sure....I still hadn't even gotten into my grunge phase with Primus and Alice and Chains yet......

LOL neither did I! I did not open my eyes to Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains until about 1993. I just wasn't privy to any kind of electronic music - funny how it's right there but for all you and I knew, it was as alien and unknown as far-off galaxies. I had to wait until 1996.....I found william orbit myself and was shortly introduced to Orb, Orbital, Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Aphex Twin.

UFOrb has to be one of the most liquid, dazed-out albums I've ever heard. I remember the first time I heard it, it was like I was listening to popular music from the year 3012. It literally felt like something emanating from a distant galaxy.

Too funny guys. I remember the same thing. A friend of mine gave me an orb record and a bootleg Underworld mix to listen to in 94, and I hated it! My musical taste was so bad.......I remember blowing off a Josh Wink show in 95' so I could go see Hole perform w/ Ranicd. WTF was I thinking............

My musical taste went from guitar to turntables!

....and I picked up an Orb single(little fluffy clouds) by mistake in 92 because the orb logo looked like it said "The Doors" and when I put it in I was like.."What the hell is this shit?!"...so I returned it for the latest Skid Row single which I think at the time was "18 and Life". :rolleyes:

I didn't stop liking bands though even though all these new bands that are coming out now suck ass......I just saw the Roger Waters concert on DVD and it is out of fucking hand.

Originally posted by sobeton

u.f. off & orblivion required listening.. :)

Orblivion always seems to be forgotten in an Orb discussion. It's underrated, I think. I love that track....S.A.L.T. I believe it is....and Toxygene. And what about the Live 93 double CD? The allusion to Pink Floyd - Animals with the cover art is great.....that's actually the Orb disc I listen to most often, because it's got live versions of all the best stuff from Ultraworld and UFOrb.

Originally posted by joeygk

Too funny guys. I remember the same thing. A friend of mine gave me an orb record and a bootleg Underworld mix to listen to in 94, and I hated it! My musical taste was so bad.......I remember blowing off a Josh Wink show in 95' so I could go see Hole perform w/ Ranicd. WTF was I thinking............

Oh god, in 1994 I thought "techno" was just the biggest pile of crap. At that time I'd begun to get a whiff of it on VUM - I hated it and I also bought into all the "rave" scare-mongering that was going on at the time. Yeah, stupid I know.

Anyway nothing wrong with Hole & Rancid. LOL I think Courtney gets too much criticism, I still like her stuff. I thought Celebrity Skin was an extremely listenable album, even if Billy Corgan wrote most of the songs, I don't care. hehe to be honest I think I'd rather listen to Courtney sing than her late husband. I loved Kurt, but damn, I often found his usually-badly-off-key voice painful to listen to. OK, OK, so they are both way off key. lol all things being equal I am a sucker for a female vocal. Always.

Don't get me started about Courtney, I fucking love that lady. Something about a chic w/ a guitar. I sat through and entire Marylin Manson concert in order to hear Hole a few years ago when they were on tour together. Great live band.......i'm not kidding (they do the best cover of G&R's paradise city- you can actually download it off the web)!

I'm waiting for the next wave of rock bands to come up and kick some ass, but unfortunately everything right now just sucks. I'll stick to my dance music. *Although Oasis' new alblum looks promising.............

Don't get me started about Courtney, I fucking love that lady. Something about a chic w/ a guitar. I sat through and entire Marylin Manson concert in order to hear Hole a few years ago when they were on tour together. Great live band.......i'm not kidding (they do the best cover of G&R's paradise city- you can actually download it off the web)!

I'm waiting for the next wave of rock bands to come up and kick some ass, but unfortunately everything right now just sucks. I'll stick to my dance music. *Although Oasis' new alblum looks promising.............

I am desperate for some great new rock! The only non-dance CDs I felt compelled to buy last year was Bjork, Radiohead, Tool, Sigur Ros, Depeche Mode, Natalie Merchant, New Order and Mercury Rev! And yeah, I agree with you completely about Courtney. Doesn't Hole have something new coming out?

Hole is on hiatus b/c they are suing their record label Geffen. However, Courtney has a side project "Bastard" that recorded a few tracks, but broke up b/c of conflict of interests (i.e. C Lo probably pissed them all off, and they split). I don't know if the trax will ever be released. I wish something would come out b/c Celebrity Skin was an awesome record......the songs were punk w/ a pop sensibility- if that makes any sense?? Very rare to find an alblum like that anymore.

Patrick- half of those "rock" records you listed are dance crossover records too (bjork, depeche mode, new order). You can't get away from the scene even if you try.

The only non-dance record I bought was "jimmy eat world" and it sucked. I bought a great chill out jazz record by a group called lovage. They do a great melodic cover of the old LA punk band "X" song- I need a man.

Orblivion is the shit! That whole album is a trip. UFOff is like the Cliff's Notes on the Orb. It's good but you'd be better off just buying all their albums. There aren't many. What are they?

The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

UFOrb

Pomme Fritz(The orb's Little Album)

Orblivion

Orbus Terrarrum

Cydonia(their last album which in my opinion is not that good)

then they have a shitload of remixes aside from their albums.....

Did any of you guys check out that DJ set I mentioned in the first post?

Nice to hear people talking 'bout the Orb. Saw them at Orbit last April. Besides Alex spinning, his associate Thomas played live, and they had a bass player join them on stage. Their light show is tres cool. They have a new double CD out now doing remixes. web site is www.badorb.com

(hey meng, see you at Lumonics this month, looking forward to your return!!)

barry

Hole is on hiatus b/c they are suing their record label Geffen. However, Courtney has a side project "Bastard" that recorded a few tracks, but broke up b/c of conflict of interests (i.e. C Lo probably pissed them all off, and they split). I don't know if the trax will ever be released. I wish something would come out b/c Celebrity Skin was an awesome record......the songs were punk w/ a pop sensibility- if that makes any sense?? Very rare to find an alblum like that anymore.

Patrick- half of those "rock" records you listed are dance crossover records too (bjork, depeche mode, new order). You can't get away from the scene even if you try.

The only non-dance record I bought was "jimmy eat world" and it sucked. I bought a great chill out jazz record by a group called lovage. They do a great melodic cover of the old LA punk band "X" song- I need a man.

You know, you're right - other than tool, when the most rockin' records you buy are Depeche Mode and New Order.....that is saying something! My Australian friend just saw New Order at the Big Day Out festival there yesterday.....he was gloating about it to me earlier, I felt like strangling him via IM. lol I heard the hot Jimmy Eat World single on the radio out in Utah last month.......I found it pretty catchy in an annoying sort of way. I agree with you about hole, they do capture that elusive punk with a pop sensibility sound! Another band that I think *works* in a similar way is Placebo.