Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Impcontroversial topic/issue for dj/producers and music fanatics

JoelB

Ok I have to bring this up...

Currently working on my first tracks, and with the amout of stuff that gets bootlegged out there I can understand some side of the other sentiment, but let's get real. The extent to which a lot of jocks worldwide gaurd there 'unreleased, promo, test pressing only, super-secret-hard-to-find gem' tracks is utterly ridiculous... I think we as a music community must embrace the fact that bootlegging is a fact and needs to be restrained and harnessed for the positive (hello? the radio gives out 'free music' each day and not many people raise a fuss, moreover, audiogalaxy and cd burners offer free publicity).

I know for myself, when I drop my hard-earned cash to hear a live set or by a mixed CD or vinyl release, it's because i am die-hard and expect an 'experience.' I think audiogalaxy/napster/compressed music is GREAT for the industry- its like a forest fire- will stop the big 5/6 conglomeration from pushing mediocre BS and give a chance for the little fellows with big talent.

I know the promo issue is a lil different- we work our asses off to get those goldmine connections and get into members only pools. But what fun is music if every other cd you get comes with a PS dont tell anyone i gave this to you or play it for anyone disclaimer?

Sorry, maybe this venting session is just the Tuesday Blues, but some of the egos out there need some reality checks. If you play it, they will come... look at the non-commercial success of bands like Phish. After spending last year away from my home here in New York, I can say the city needs to learn a bit from the rest of the country and drop the kunty attitude in regards to music. We go out to play, have fun, forget the seriousness, not hear shade from the decks, be it a private party or commercial event. No one cares that youre in juniors record pool or your friend just robbed someones studio... lol... anyone agree with me or am i spouting nonsensical gibberish as usual? lol till next time... peace

joel*B

www.geocities.com/joelbnyc

keep it drama free

Hearing you on yer rant, brother. I just wish everyone could share the music, give credit where it's due and let the advertisers pay the talent somehow...

But I'm really done with that 'don't play it for anyone/let anyone have it/leak the track' business... keep yer freakin track if you don't like sharing pal, what're you in this for anyway? When I think of all the great tracks languishing in the harddrives/cd books/record boxes of like 5 djs somewhere because the artist only gave it to this *special* handful of guys it makes me sad. I won't take the tracks with those disclaimers anymore cuz i dont wanna ever be suspect in some great 'track-leaking' scandal.

Hugs and thanks for sharing!

BSG

I do understand why alot of top jocks "guard" their latest release, and I find myself doing this sometimes. I just hate it when I give one of my friends the track, they burn that shit for everyone and when I go to the club and play it and they are there.. theres absoloutley no energy behind the track because everyone has already heard it. It's tough for DJ's today, there is so much competition out there, and everyone thinks it just one big competition.. but there is also just the fun and pure energy of getting up there, and spinning hott tracks and doing what you love each weekend, thats how I see it. Music is everything to us, but the music should be shared.. it's what helps alot of people through their days, music is the key to life.

I agree with both sides of this argument....yes you need to be able to go out there and spin hot tracks and enjoy it....BUT...I think the added competition adds to the excitement of it. Think of that track In Your Eyes by Luz Divina....I swear everyone I know is looking for that thing....but very few people have it. Same thing with that track..Going Through It...or whatever its called. Those 2 tracks are only being played at 1 club (SF)...(note: I dont go to SF..just noting for the record)...and 1 DJ...yet everyone is feeling them. Much respect is given to JP for not letting others have that track..which obviously was given to him exclusively.

Also..I went to see Tiesto in Oct at World...played the same tracks he always spins. Yeah...they are hot tracks...but everything was stuff I either a) heard from him already B) I was able to get off AG. I mean...if I'm gonna go pay $40-50 to get into a club to hear a great DJ...play some new hot tracks that no one is spinning. Let me walk away singing a track that I know I wont be able to get for week/months down the road. Keep me excited!

Originally posted by carusomaas11

I agree with both sides of this argument....yes you need to be able to go out there and spin hot tracks and enjoy it....BUT...I think the added competition adds to the excitement of it. Think of that track In Your Eyes by Luz Divina....I swear everyone I know is looking for that thing....but very few people have it. Same thing with that track..Going Through It...or whatever its called. Those 2 tracks are only being played at 1 club (SF)...(note: I dont go to SF..just noting for the record)...and 1 DJ...yet everyone is feeling them. Much respect is given to JP for not letting others have that track..which obviously was given to him exclusively.

Also..I went to see Tiesto in Oct at World...played the same tracks he always spins. Yeah...they are hot tracks...but everything was stuff I either a) heard from him already B) I was able to get off AG. I mean...if I'm gonna go pay $40-50 to get into a club to hear a great DJ...play some new hot tracks that no one is spinning. Let me walk away singing a track that I know I wont be able to get for week/months down the road. Keep me excited!

Another good point..