Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Malanee: the next Super Star DJ!

malanee

Okay - I did the most awesome thing last night! I got a DJ lesson from DJ Zelda (Juliette) at Metatrack! I learned more in 1 hour than I have in the last 4 months! It was incredible!

I would highly recommend that all of the DJs on the board check Metatrack out! They have several phat ass studios and I think even some of the more experienced DJs could learn something from Juliette! She's AWESOME! I've had other people try and show me how to beat match - but *she* is a born teacher!

Plus - everyone there is so cool! Lots of local DJs hanging out, listening to each other. There were even a couple of femal DJs down there! Tonight they are having "groupie night" w/ the East Coast Boogiemen .

Check out their website:

http://www.metatrackstudios.com/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by malanee

Okay - I did the most awesome thing last night! I got a DJ lesson from DJ Zelda (Juliette) at Metatrack! I learned more in 1 hour than I have in the last 4 months! It was incredible!

I would highly recommend that all of the DJs on the board check Metatrack out! They have several phat ass studios and I think even some of the more experienced DJs could learn something from Juliette! She's AWESOME! I've had other people try and show me how to beat match - but *she* is a born teacher!

Plus - everyone there is so cool! Lots of local DJs hanging out, listening to each other. There were even a couple of femal DJs down there! Tonight they are having "groupie night" w/ the East Coast Boogiemen .

Check out their website:

http://www.metatrackstudios.com/

shady had a small get together back in November there. So will you now spin for us more frequently?

Originally posted by vicman

shady had a small get together back in November there. So will you now spin for us more frequently?

Definitely! By the end of the session - I was beat matching no problem and even mastering when to bring in and take out the records! It was such an awesome feeling!

Definitely! By the end of the session - I was beat matching no problem and even mastering when to bring in and take out the records! It was such an awesome feeling!

kewl, maybe we could have a DC CP DJ showdown one of these days... so we should expect to see you behind the booth at Buzz anytime soon?

Originally posted by vicman

kewl, maybe we could have a DC CP DJ showdown one of these days... so we should expect to see you behind the booth at Buzz anytime soon?

I'm always behind the booth at Buzz. OH - you mean spinning! :laugh:

Um - we may have to wait a few weeks on that one....

I will def check that out cause I suck. I mean I really suck. I think if I didn't even hear themusic when I am trying to beat-match it would turn out better.

Originally posted by therunner

I will def check that out cause I suck. I mean I really suck. I think if I didn't even hear themusic when I am trying to beat-match it would turn out better.

You *have* to check it out! Honestly - the only reason I took the lesson is because a friend knows Juliette and really encouraged me too do it - even if it was just for networking purposes. I was completely blown away by how much I learned in just one session! I've been screwing around for MONTHS and just not quite getting it! I wish, I wish, I WISH I would have done this earlier! I'm going to take another lesson in a few weeks - after I practice what she showed me last night!

Originally posted by crownroyal

Since I'm skipping WMC, I'm gonna get my Technics in April. Be prepared to be extremely jealous cos I will have the phattest decks/mixer on the east coast.

Then I will learn to spin.

I have a 1972 Les Paul, one of the fattest guitars ever made, and guess what? i suck at that too. Decks and mixers don't make you a top spinner. And if you try mixing the chimpmunk christmas sing along with barry manilow, that won't help much either. But who knows, that might just be what we are really wanting to hear but hide behind this facade that is pushed on us by the clubs we go to.

You *have* to check it out! Honestly - the only reason I took the lesson is because a friend knows Juliette and really encouraged me too do it - even if it was just for networking purposes. I was completely blown away by how much I learned in just one session! I've been screwing around for MONTHS and just not quite getting it! I wish, I wish, I WISH I would have done this earlier! I'm going to take another lesson in a few weeks - after I practice what she showed me last night!

Did you do the personel lesson or the one with 2-3 other people?

I have a 1972 Les Paul, one of the fattest guitars ever made

Give it to me! I have a Korean Fender Strat. It's all busted up and has duct tape holding the strap on cos I used ot be in a punk band during my Jr. High years in the Cali Valley. I few heads have been cracked with it.

and guess what? i suck at that too.

Yeah me too, I play power chords.

Decks and mixers don't make you a top spinner.

Yeah they do stop lying. Nah I know that, but you will still all be jealous. It'll probably be like Jimi's sig.

I have a 1972 Les Paul, one of the fattest guitars ever made

Give it to me! I have a Korean Fender Strat. It's all busted up and has duct tape holding the strap on cos I used ot be in a punk band during my Jr. High years in the Cali Valley. I few heads have been cracked with it.

and guess what? i suck at that too.

Yeah me too, I play power chords.

Decks and mixers don't make you a top spinner.

Yeah they do stop lying. Nah I know that, but you will still all be jealous. It'll probably be like Jimi's sig.

This reminds me of one time I was wlking down the street in the Czech Rep. and I saw a brand new Porsche Carrera 4 hard top and thought "my god what a car, that lucky bastard, and then I walked up on to check out the interior and saw that it had an automatic trany in it, and then thought "that lucky bastard doesn't know how to drive" who would buy a sports car that is made for speed and performance with a fucking automatic gear box? Just to show you that even if people think they are getting the top of the line high quality equipment, it doesn't help if you don't know how to use it. (and I am saying all this because, you lucky bastard, well if i think negative about the whole deal I will love my numark tt-100's a bit more) nah prbably not but it's worth a shot just to try and piss you off

Originally posted by therunner

Did you do the personel lesson or the one with 2-3 other people?

I did the personal lesson. How far along are you? I've been spinning for 4 months - so I didn't want to get stuck having to learn basics because someone else didn't know them in the group. That's what I would recommend. That way you get to start out exactly on your level and Juliette is really good about figuring where you're at! Of course - if you know a few people at the same level - doing the group lesson is a lot cheaper. Let me know what you think if you end up going!

Originally posted by raver_mania

Hey Ruth, how much are these lessons?

I would like to check your decks out sometime if you wouldn't mind. Just see if I have a feel for it before going out and buying expensive equipment!

$35 for one on one - it is a lot cheaper if you do the group and if you're just starting out - I would do a group first, practice a little and then come back and do an individual - which I think is really helpful for someone who is at least a little on their way.

You know you are welcome to play with my decks anytime! :D

I did the personal lesson. How far along are you? I've been spinning for 4 months - so I didn't want to get stuck having to learn basics because someone else didn't know them in the group. That's what I would recommend. That way you get to start out exactly on your level and Juliette is really good about figuring where you're at! Of course - if you know a few people at the same level - doing the group lesson is a lot cheaper. Let me know what you think if you end up going!

I have been spinning for about two months now and have had NO coaching or advise, just me listening and going "shit why doesn't that go together!!"

Bastard! Anyways, I always wanted a Les Paul, but I don't play anymore anyways...

who doesn't want a les paul? even if you don't know how to play they still look good hanging on the wall, sorta the same way your decks are gonna look locked up in the closet after three months (he he)

Originally posted by photographiti

Hey i want to start spining and i dont know if i should go out and straight up get the best tables and mier or start out small or what. does n e one have any recomendatins on what i should get.:spin2: [=]:spin2:

First see if you can practice on a friends to make sure you think it is something you really want to do. You can rent a studio w/ 2 turntables, etc. for $20 at Meatrack too, I think.

Then, if you decide to go for it - I would buy top of the line turntables. That way - if it doesn't work out - you can resell them and not lose too much money.

I bought my mixer used and it is fine for my current level. Once I get better - I think I'll get a nicer one and some speakers. Right now I have it all hooked up to my little living room stereo system.

That's my .02!

Originally posted by photographiti

Hey i want to start spining and i dont know if i should go out and straight up get the best tables and mier or start out small or what. does n e one have any recomendatins on what i should get.:spin2: [=]:spin2:

i dunno, but i think the general consensus is that youll probably end up with Technics anyway, so get them the first time around....any way i gotta go move my car before i get a ticket.