Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tom middleton... what a character!

aeroplano

check this interview out...

Name?

Tom 'The Jedi' Middleton

"Job"?

Sonic evangeCHILList, positive energy purveyor, disco-catalyst, altruist, cook, gastronaught, boyfriend, occasional der-brain, cheeky monkey and Jedi Knight.

Habitat?

Leafy glade upon a grassy knoll by an islet in a duck-infested boating lake (somewhere in Norrff LLaanndunn).

Hobbies/Passions?

Breathing, eating, smiling. Multisensory stimulation Research and Development. Questing for exquisitely beautiful spinetingling musical delicacies. 70's - 80's themes and kids TV shows. Facial hair cultivation and grooming. Mastication. Osculation... ironing crimplene trousers.

Favourite food?

All herbs, spice, pulses and grains, fish, fungi, fruit and veggies (minus red and pink fleshy things that walk and talk)... I LOVE FOOD... so in no particular order, my top flavours and textures: Rucola e Parmeggiano Reggiano, Sea Bass, Swordfish, Truffle Oil,Saffron, Garlic, Raisins, Vanilla Provamel.Cinnamon and Nutmeg... (not at the same time, mind).

Drink?

Perhaps an Emerald Sparkler... no, how about a Darth Maul? Ah, no wait... a big warm vintage XO Brandy... okay double Amaretto, no ice... Actually a really posh'n'soft

water like Badoit or San Peligrino would be splendid.

Ideal evening chilling at home?

Tantric Naked Thai Disco Yoga Massage with 'extras' from the missus... I mean 'stretches' from the missus.

Ideal evening chilling out?

Team Space Hopper races up The Mall on Helium with followed by a game of kiss chase around the Serpentine. A Top Celebrity 'it's a knockout' with the likes of

Cheggers, Jim Bowen, The Krankies, Keith Harris, Bernie Clifton, Timmy Mallet, Stan Boardman and Jimmy Cricket... failing that, moonbathing on the North Cornish Coast.

Favourite places?

Rome, Tromso, Vancouver, my bed, Auckland, Tokyo, backs of the knees, nape of the neck, small of the back... and Cornwall.

What are you reading these days?

'How to be a Domestic Goddess' by Nigella Lawson, 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein, 'Porcupines' by Graham Higgin and A lot of Email by various people.

Are you a political animal?

More of a political vegetable.

What gets the goosebumps rising for you musically at the moment?

Real heartfelt melody and harmony and a good song... John Williams A.I. Soundtrack, Schmoov, Atjazz, Llorca, Shur-i-kan, Barbra Streisand sings Classical, Royksopp,

Kings of Convenience, Milton Jackson, International Observer, Alucidnation, Groove Armada, Ils, Illinton, Blue Effect, Jimpster, Fenomenon, Sigur Ros, Mandalay, Kirtsy

Hawkshaw, Zero 7 and Sia, Aphex Twin piano pieces... or a wasp buzzing right into your ear.

Top ten influences of all time (musical or otherwise)?

Life... people, everything... okay, how about: Mater and Pater, George Lucas, the 70's and 80's, Japanese design, French Romantic Classical music, Cordon Bleu and

Fusion Cuisine, Hip Hop, Electro and Synth Pop, Ambient and Electronic composers (Eno, Vangelis,Tomita, Aphex Twin, Black Dog), ECM Records, Prince, Organic Food. (I

know - I can't count!)

What are you working on at present?

Infiltrating the music industry disguised as a recording Artist and DJ/remixer for the purpose of spreading the Love.

What would most like to achieve over the next five years?

The creation of music and life... and multiple orgasms.

What would you like to see change most in the world over the next five years?

A global oil dry-up... that would shake things up a bit... okay... more communication, honesty, acceptance, unconditonal love and positivity.

Highlight of your life?

My first breath.

Top Big Chill moment?

So many... dropping Roy Ayres' 'Everybody Loves the Sunshine' in Finsbury Park on a grey day, then the skies cleared in a moment and we were bathed in sunlight... or

how about when the cartoon 'small cloud' rained over the crowd during the Police's 'Every little thing she does' at EG98?... 'Where the streets have no name' encore at

EG2000... P+K dancing to Mr Jay... Mr Deakin's appropriately audacious Naxos 2000 set... Katrina (by the waves) Karaoke 'Walking on sunshine' moment Naxos 2001...

Morris's post-Whambient set Naxos 2001.

Describe the essence of The Big Chill in a few words...

Top tunes 'n' vidz for smiley chillout kidz... or how aboutboygirlboyboygirlgirldanc etimeouttalkeatdrinklivelovelife... or perhaps just 'learning to be'?

Tom Middleton will be performing a special collaboration with the Joyful Company of Singers, the Echo String Quartet and Hexstatic at the Big Chill's Winter Concert at the Union Chapel in London on Friday 7th December.

To get a taste of his DJing style at other venues around town (such as his Cosmos residency at the Social), here's his current top ten:

1 - Cosmos: Take Me With You (Amba mix) - Test CD

2 - ILs: Soul Trader LP - Marine Parade test CD

3 - Schmoov: While You Wait LP - DIY Discs

4 - Royksopp: Melody A.M. LP - Wall of Sound

5 - FC Kahuna: Hayling - City Rockers

6 - Shur-i-kan: Music (Audiomontage mix) - Freerange

7 - Milton Jackson: Bionic Boy LP - Glasgow Underground test CD

8 - Homecookin': Do What U Wanna LP - Sole Music

9 - Various: Ready when you Ready - Smugg Records

10 - LLorca: New Comer LP - FComm