Clubplanet Nightlife Community

College isn't for everyone?

what got me was someone at the same compnay that was gonna hire me full time pulled me aside and said ya you can come here right outta hs and get 80-100k a year to start easy, but where are you gonna go after that? If you ever plan to make it to a management/vp position, you better get that piece of paper as a formality...so thats what forced me into doing it...

whats up. I see some of you are in IT jobs. Did you all go to college or just trade schools? Im graduation this may from albany with an IT major/Business Minor. I know a few people that didnt go to school when I was starting college, they did the Devry thing and did get jobs. But that was when the computer market was good and all and anyone with experience could get a job. Now 4 years later the market pretty much sucks. I was told by a few different people in high companies that you need your degree AND either trade school or certifications. I was told to get a degree from college and do the other things, looks much better then just one. Any of you in this situation? I obviously don't have a lot of hands on exp being I was a full time student for 4 years. whats the situation, especially in May when most companies will be hiring college grads.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . . an interesting aside that backs this up . . . a few years ago, when I was still attending UF I was standing outside the B-School smoking a cigarette and this dude came up and asked me for a light . . . He asked me if I went to the school and I explained to him that I had hoped to gain admission before the end of my sophmore year . . . We started talking and he shared how he had graduated a decade before and gone on to build a successful company down in Miami and that he was here to pick up some plaque or thank you this-and-that that the school was giving him (he seemed kinda amused in a . . :rolleyes: . . kind of way) for donated a big sum of money . . . Make a long story short, I asked him if it was worth it . . . going to school and finishing and all . . and he said this : "Son, you don't know SHIT until you get out there, cause here . . all the variables are predictable. . " . .

. . . how right he was . . .

hmmm another "I didnt graduate from UF" alum? I too am in this group :hat: (btw my apt was across the street from Criser hall and this business school)

but bottom line is its about the people you know and the experience you gain that will get you ahead in your life/career

Unfortunately many ppl learn that a piece of paper that you piad $100,000 for will not guarentee you a succesful career or even a job!

michael dell......dropped outta college to repair computers in his job.....20 years later he is the owner of a billion dollar computer business,,,,,"dell computer"

charles wung....dropped out and had no clue what to do with his life.....saw an ad in the paper for computer software something....went and did that learned the businees and his now ceo of computer associates....

many more stories like that

Originally posted by nycchic24

hmmm another "I didnt graduate from UF" alum? I too am in this group :hat: (btw my apt was across the street from Criser hall and this business school)

but bottom line is its about the people you know and the experience you gain that will get you ahead in your life/career

Unfortunately many ppl learn that a piece of paper that you piad $100,000 for will not guarentee you a succesful career or even a job!

. . . Holy shit!!! . . . I lived in Hume and Fletcher . . Talk about a school wasted on the students . . . I had fun . . but for other reasons . . tee hee hee . . .

. . . I guess that makes us both semi-gators . . :laugh: . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . Holy shit!!! . . . I lived in Hume and Fletcher . . Talk about a school wasted on the students . . . I had fun . . but for other reasons . . tee hee hee . . .

. . . I guess that makes us both semi-gators . . :laugh: . . .

jumping on the semi-gator wagon--i was NYCchic24's roomie, lol...**oh, the good old days of stumbling home to the courtyards**

as far as "college: to go or not to go"...i am on the fence--i am at the point now where i want the piece of paper, and for what i want to do, it will help me...however, i worked for Merrill Lynch for about 5 years and was even a supervisor without a degree, till I just decided the corporate ladder was not for me...I also know successful people that have never graduated or attended...I think the bottom line is that it is a personal thing first off, and second, that whether you really need it or not depends on your career choice- for some careers, you really need that piece of paper and for some you just need determination...another $.02 :)

Originally posted by msoprano13

michael dell......dropped outta college to repair computers in his job.....20 years later he is the owner of a billion dollar computer business,,,,,"dell computer"

charles wung....dropped out and had no clue what to do with his life.....saw an ad in the paper for computer software something....went and did that learned the businees and his now ceo of computer associates....

many more stories like that

but for evey dell and wung, there are lots of failures