Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's whitelabel mean

Originally posted by sdeelite

white labels refer to 12" 's, that yes, have a white label, but usually the white labels are bootlegs that are not signed to any particular record label (hence the label is white or blank).

not necessarily bootleg.

but sometimes that's the case.

(a dj might cut a dubplate for his own personal use.)

more often than not it's a promo sent

to dj's that are friends to a label or sent

by one specific producer to a friend, to

get immediate club-play before release.

Originally posted by thehacker

not necessarily bootleg.

but sometimes that's the case.

(a dj might cut a dubplate for his own personal use.)

more often than not it's a promo sent

to dj's that are friends to a label or sent

by one specific producer to a friend, to

get immediate club-play before release.

Dont forget, you can get whites at any record store too - thats the fun part about it!

Sifting through bins and bins of whites to only find one or two gems or that rare remix that was only given a test press of 500, and you find one!!!

the White label is the DJ's secret weapon in his vinyl arsenal. It can be that one track that you found totally by accident that totally rocks and turns everyone's head. Oh and gets the girlies attentions too :D

Lou (^_^)

Another BIG reason you see a lot of white labels is legal. If a record has an illegal sample in it, it's a lot harder to trace it back to sue someone if it's on a white label. I'd say that about half of my white labels are whites for this reason.

BTW, also, promo copies given to DJs ahead of time often aren't straight up white labels. Usually they're the ones that you see around that are stickered or stamped, and they at least usually still have the label name on there. As long as there's a label name, it's not a whitie...

Originally posted by brickhouse

Another BIG reason you see a lot of white labels is legal. If a record has an illegal sample in it, it's a lot harder to trace it back to sue someone if it's on a white label. I'd say that about half of my white labels are whites for this reason.

BTW, also, promo copies given to DJs ahead of time often aren't straight up white labels. Usually they're the ones that you see around that are stickered or stamped, and they at least usually still have the label name on there. As long as there's a label name, it's not a whitie...

This is very true, which is why I said whites "USUALLY are bootlegs." A majority of them are, while some others are label promos...most the time, however, label promos do say say PROMO on it or "For promotional use only" in some form or another on the actual label, as mentioned above, hence making it not a 100% pure white label.