Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Asinine promoters from New York

pod

Well, with the WMC 2/3rds done, I've run into the whole gamut of promoters basically running the clubs these days. Most are decent, some are awesome (OVUM people from Philadelphia, the Nettwerk America folk, Tiësto's people from NL..), others deserve to be the victims of police brutality.

Case in point...Tuesday night, two notable NYC based parties are going down...Danny's and also the Subliminal party at crobar.

I was supposedly hooked up for both of themI stopped in at Space first, after being at the Giant hotel party, and swapping out some nitrogen tanks for my friends at Liquid. I proceeded to find the Danny T. guestlist person, he rifled through his various sheets, but to no avail. One of the security folk at Space, a friend of mine, tried to get me in, but was viciously blocked by the DT guestlist girl, who started spouting off that it was 'their party, their rules' bullshit. Apparently I wasn't the only one in this predicament...it looked as if half of an apparent guestlist had been tossed arbitrarily. A little pissed, I left, and went back to the beach around 1:15, figuring I could check out Erick Morillo and co. at crobar.

The Subliminal crew was working the door. crobar conveniently gave me a 'VIP Press Pass', which assured swift entry on any night. I flashed it to the Subliminal guy, who blatantly said 'I'm not honoring those'. I told him that the venue issued it to me, and he said 'The venue is ours for the night, we make our own rules...'

With that, I left, and trundled on to Spin, maybe grab a few frames of Tiësto, whom I met earlier at the Aqua Hotel, and he placed me on the Spin VIP list.

Mixer, again of NYC, was doing the door. Mixer apparently decided to not honor most of Tiësto's list too, taking off half the names, including myself, and his US representative. I had to resort to cruising in with Tiësto, earning a few dirty looks from the Mixer people.

Anyway, it seems that most of the NYC promoted parties tend to run roughshod over the clubs down here, exerting every last bit of control they can, down to hassling locals like myself, and even well-known locals, at the door...

I'm not sure if this is a valid complaint or not, but in my mind, it's kind of a slap in the face to the host city. I'm also wondering if it's general policy or just a few rogue employees? I'd hate to generalize the promotions people over a few bad apples.

Ah well, I ended up having a kickass time at Spin anyhow...lights by Drew, Tiësto at the decks, and a special appearance by Utah Saints upstairs led to a good night.

Hey, at least you're there. This is the first year in the past 5 that I haven't made it. It was either Fiji for NYE or Miami for WMC and I didn't throw a party this year, so it was Fiji.

How is it this year? I know a lot of heads that didn't go this year, plus a few parties I heard were cancelled this year. I'll be back next year for sure though.

Out of curiosity, have you been to any LA parties? Those are the ones I usually go to, plus some label parties that I work with, but I was just wondering what you thought of LA promoters or the LA sponsored parties, like the giant hotel, hula groove, urb, etc.

expect to see more horror stories in the press again this year about all of the rude "sobe" door people during wmc. the real culprits will get away with their behaviour, and miami beach will get the blame. i'm surprised that the local clubs are willing (even eager) to let out-of-town promoters run (ruin?) their venues this way, especially with the general economic slump currently affecting the nightclub business.

Went to the Ferry Corsten party at BBL that Glow (DC) put on and the door staff there was horrible. I thinkt he Glow staff were entirely frustrated that the girl outside was mishandling all the lists. Thanks to Edgar V for coming down and getting us in...

I saw Ferry standing there and pointing out his people from Amsterdam so they could get in and the door staff were like, "Who are you?"

Damn...

. . . the politics of promotion kill everything it touches . . . and I can never seem to figure out why. . .I mean . . . I mean, I may be wrong, but the whole point of nightlife is to take a good sized space, fill it with the freakshow, then let some guy or gal who can spin go crazy . . .

. . . but I guess nowadays things can't be that simple . . .