Clubplanet Nightlife Community

'Exit' Equivilant?

I know this isn't the London Messege board but no one seems to post there. I'm leaving for London on Tuesday for a week of straight partying. My London club knowledge is non-existent so I was wondering what are the really big mega clubs over there. Like, what is their equivilant to our Exit or Soundfactory. I've heard of Ministry of Sound and I'm pretty sure they have a Limelight over there too but other than that I'm clueless. Thanks.

Pick up a copy of Time Out London when you get there

I don't know if you'll come across detailed info about clubs, but you'll see what's happening where on a certain date

Check the schedules to find out when the last Tube trains are running. Plan accordingly because cab rides can get expensive.

Heaven on Thursdays (monthly digweed residency), Turnmills on friday (at least one "big-name" headliner, sometimes up to 4 headliners in one night), Fabric on saturdays (same), Cross on saturdays (especially for the monthly Renaissance parties). These clubs are not like SF or Exit.....they dont have clubs lke them over there (well except for MOS, but ill get to that in a minute). Dress codes are at least jeans. Can be sneakers or boots depending on bouncer's moods. No sportswear...UFO's iffy. Drinks (avg $4) and admission prices (avg $14) are much cheaper. Turnmills and Fabric are the only clubs that remain open past 5am. Well except for Ministry of Sound, but that place is a fucking tourist trap shithole. Avoid MOS at all costs, unless you want to overpay and be really disappointed.

yeh..just watch out for the clubs that are members only..dont look like an ass and try to get in..its kind of embarrassing...trust me eheh ive heard horror stories..Time Out is ur best bet..has excellent listings..i lived outa that thing when i was in london

here....

Turnmills

April 5th:

Tall Paul and Sister Bliss

April 12th:

Judge Jules, Darren Christian, Tiesto

April 19th:

Timo Maas, John 00 Fleming

Fabric

April 6th:

Xpress 2

April 13th:

Terry Francis and Craig Richards

April 20th:

Lee Burridge

Heaven

April 5th:

Lee Combs, Felix da Housecat, Carl Clarke

no Bedrock/Digweed party in April

actually MOS can be fun, if you go on the right nights. Make sure to check time out or at least Mixmag or something for lineups. Their new Tough, Tribal, and Twisted night looks great. Plus it's a cool venue with an amazing system. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the End is great too. usually very techno, but Steve Lawler has a night there too. Then again, since you asked about Exit you might want to check out Bagley's; its huge and has more of that sort of vibe and music. For quality though, Turnmills, Fabric and the End lead the pack.

timeout is geared toward an older crowd (your parents).

check club listings in ministry/mixmag/muzik magazines - they have lineups for specific parties, club reviews, and are a lot more thorough + in depth.

thursday nights at bar rhumba (movement) are great even if u don't like drum n bass....the gallery@turnmills on fridays bring a new definition to clubbing - but go early or you'll wait in line for hours. freedom@bagleys on saturdays is off the hook, 3 rooms with the best in hard house, garage and progressive/trance. ministry of sound can be good if you're there to see some of your favorite DJs...otherwise the crowd does suck but its good to check it out once - not many clubs are run by a business as wealthy or powerful as ministry and its a very impressive venue.

fabric is also an excellent venue + their saturday night parties are great.

btw, there are lots of clubs open past 5am in london. most are closed by 7 or 8am at the latest but on sundays especially there are after/daytime parties that start anywhere from 6am to noon and go through sunday night.

Cool, thanks for the input. Just to rephrase what I was looking for...I was looking for clubs that equal Exit in terms of sheer size and noteriety over there. I'm gonna be looking for a place harboring young, hot girls, under the influence one way or the other dancing to great music. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . here's a suggestion rhinobaby . . . why don't you try to get down the way "they" do it . . rather than trying to find something like home . .

. . it's all about expanding your horizons . . . :drunk: . . .

I totally agree...............

I wish I could go to overseas clubbin' but I haven't had the opportunity yet.. :(

I believe Cross is now called Type

That's how it was when I was in London, and was expecting to go to Cross to see Seb Fontaine (a listing I saw on a site that I can't find any more), but saw no sign of the place. While I waited in the "queue", I asked the bouncer if the place was the old Cross, and he said that it was. I asked who was spinning, but he said he didn't know.

I didn't want to wait, so I went next door to Bageley's. Has anyone been there? Not as big as Exit, but pretty good size, with different rooms and different kinds of music. Didn't seem like anything special though.

I left early expecting to be able to go into Type, but right at that time, I was told that they stopped letting people in.

Does anyone know of "The End"? I believe Sven Vath was playing there that night. I would've gone if I had known that Cross was no longer.

I think there's also a Sunday night event in Brixton (I forget the name of the club) that goes til 6 am.

Also, check listings for festivals here:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/

Maybe there will be one when you're there.

I went to one of the Essential Festivals there. It was like a carnival with big tents (for dance floors) added. Using outdoor public urinals was a new thing experienced there. They were filled to the brim by the end of the day! :tongue:

Anyways, in one day, I grooved to: Richie Hawtin, Tall Paul, Judge Jules, Ferry Corsten, Mauro Picotto, Fergie, Dave Angel, CJ Bolland, and others

btw, what happened to Back2Basics? he could probably give some info about stuff happening over there.

Originally posted by wallflour

Pick up a copy of Time Out London when you get there

I don't know if you'll come across detailed info about clubs, but you'll see what's happening where on a certain date

Check the schedules to find out when the last Tube trains are running. Plan accordingly because cab rides can get expensive.

the night bus is your best bet once you figure it out.

runs all night. and if you got a 3- or 7- day unlimited

pass for the underground, it'll work on the night bus too.

i concur; Time Out has oodles of club info.