Clubplanet Nightlife Community

URGENT MESSAGE for anyone who CARES about the SCENE!!!

Attention fellow clubbers, supporters of the scene and fans of great music and DJ’s everywhere:

The New York club scene has, within the last year or so, lost some really great parties and legendary venues. Tunnel, Twilo, and nearly Limelight… Havens of house, trance and electronic music of all kinds, beautiful venues that have always been filled with the creativity and passion of all of us in the clubbing community, are constantly in jeopardy of being closed, converted or otherwise ruined by the forces that work against our underground population and its culture.

Recently, a few promoters have tried to provide New York with a new venue for the showcasing of finer DJ talent through the reformation of the long-defamed Club Exit. These promoters have taken on an incredible task and have to far made wide and clean strides towards improvement. The talent has been brought here – Tiesto, Dave Ralph, Max Graham, Christopher Lawrence, Edgar V, Ferry Corsten, with Armin Van Buuren, Chris Fortier & Alex Gold upcoming – and the lack of talent, namely old nemesis to progress Tony Draper, has been removed. Granted, the party is not perfect yet, but no one can deny that the change is finally shining through, and the enhancement of the venue continues each week.

Unfortunately, circumstances outside the control of the promotional staff threaten to cancel the performances of all those following Chris Fortier depending on the outcome of a vote to be held on Tuesday, April 9th, 2002, at Club Exit.

THIS MEETING IS OPEN TO THE CLUBBING COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE, AND WE SINCERELY REQUEST YOUR SUPPORT AND COOPERATION IN THE FORM OF A VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE DJ’S, WHOEVER THEY MAY BE.

Your participation in this meeting needs only be brief but it will have a lasting impact on the direction of the scene for years to come. You may select between 20 DJ’s or pencil in your own suggestion, but this comes with a dire warning…

IF YOU, THE CLUBBING ELITE, FAIL TO SUPPORT THE CONTINUATION OF A MUSICALLY-ORIENTED PARTY, THE PROMOTIONAL STAFF WILL BE FORCED TO REINSTATE TONY DRAPER, AND THE RECENTLY REOPENED OUTLET FOR INTERNATIONAL TALENT WILL ONCE AGAIN BE CLOSED.

We, as the promoters of this event, will be heartbroken to see our plans for the improvement of the scene shattered, but we cannot stop this without your help. Please, we implore you to join us Tuesday, April 9th at 8 PM to cast your vote in support of true talent, great music and the scene that we love and hope to see proliferate as part of what makes New York so special. Remember, this is only a small part of your time to give, but your effort will do an invaluable service to your scene.

Please feel free to contact me, or any of the promoters of the Exit Friday party for more info on the issue, on lending your support, or about the meeting itself. My contact info is:

Aly DiNascosto – ReachProductions@aol.com

Instant Messenger at VixenFoxxy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

IF YOU, THE CLUBBING ELITE, FAIL TO SUPPORT THE CONTINUATION OF A MUSICALLY-ORIENTED PARTY, THE PROMOTIONAL STAFF WILL BE FORCED TO REINSTATE TONY DRAPER, AND THE RECENTLY REOPENED OUTLET FOR INTERNATIONAL TALENT WILL ONCE AGAIN BE CLOSED.

Those are some scary thoughts right there.....:shake:

Oh, and one more important point - Even if you don't go to the party yourself, you should still come down and vote so the party keeps going on the right direction, and if there's a DJ you haven't seen on our line-up yet that you'd like to see, now's your chance to get him or her!

And remember, waiting for someone else to go to the meeting for you, thinking that someone else will take care of it, won't help... Each and every one of you PLEASE get yourselves to the club, and you can know that YOU were a part of the solution to this big nasty problem!!! :D

I dont frequent Exit much, actually not at all, but credit should be given where it is due. These promoters have done an awesome job in turning this party around. And for booking Ferry Corsten, I respect them even more. Good luck with everything!

I cant believe this kind of shit is happening!

I've been a party kid, a raver and sometimes clubber, whatever you want to call it for a few years now. Each time I go to a big rave event or festival I expect some good talent. That doesnt always seem to happen. Not to mention that I hardly ever get to see a big name Dj perform in front of my eyes. It just doesnt happen often enough. I havent been lucky enough to experience other clubs that have closed such as twilo, thats mainly because I wasnt 18 in those days. I wish I was!

Of course there is a difference in how you party at a rave and how you party at a club. It mostly has to due with the vibe, and the feeling of unity. Im not gonna bitch about love and respect and stuff like that cause even I sometimes think its getting lame. But I have to say is that I am not a big fan of clubs. I hate the vibe in there! All you ahve is a bunch of shirtless assholes taking up space, looking all tough and important, trying to get laid. They dont give a shit who is the DJ, nor what kind of music is being played! I hate those guys, and I'm telling you if you get rid of those morons, the scene will improve so much, that we wont have to worry about clubs closing.

So I for one will give it a shot and go ! Its not everyday, you get to see big name Djs, doing what they do best! And I'm not just saying this because I'm part of the team. I'm a party kid and I give a damn. I love it when my favorite Dj goes up on stage, performing in front of me. Seeing them play the music I love puts a big smile on my face.

So if you care enough about the scene, come along too, it sure is worth it!

blah

Valiant effort but either way you look at it....its Exit.

Everyone wants to see these DJ's but nobody wants to see these dj's at Exit :eek: ....Exit is a club that you can never turn around. End of story.

Face it, NY is in a little slump and we will be until the next great thing opens. (its coming.....)

We all just have to be a little patient.

Please bring back Draper !!!

So we can have all the idiots under one roof and not scattered throughout the city.

Originally posted by phantasm

no disrespect, but centrofly brings in top notch DJs, and or more of a variety of genres than does exit.

April 6th, DJ Dan,

April 12 Onionz

April 13 Doc Martin

April 18 Seb Fontaine

April 19 John Acquaviva

all top notch DJs.

i haven't been to exit since it was carbon, and tom mello was doing his little deal back in '97, and have no intentions of returning, but centrofly on the other hand.....

good point

here is a thought..since friday night is for kiddies bring draper in on friday night since he has a nice following of kids and bring the INTERNATIONAL dj's on saturday nights instead.. then junior after hours that would be sick..picture carl cox then junior after hours..hmmm

i think exit should stick to a resident DJ. i know alot of people like these international DJ's but not everyone. alot of people don't even know who these people are. Exit is to damn big for these guys thats why these partys aren't getting packed like they did in the past when they were at smaller venues like twilo. and seriously i only heard of like 3 of the past couple DJ's that were at exit. same with my friends, thats why i can't support the party. i give alot of respect to the directors trying to make this happen. but the way i feel about it is that they need to be at a smaller venue, then the party will be more alive.

Jack Z

Originally posted by launch

I dont frequent Exit much, actually not at all, but credit should be given where it is due. These promoters have done an awesome job in turning this party around. And for booking Ferry Corsten, I respect them even more. Good luck with everything!

I hear you, but i am still scared of all of the cheesey people i see on their website. is the crowd still like that there??

. . . Vixen, you make a valiant attempt, however I believe even with the support of the hardcore's, it's still a battle that's going to be lost . .

. . Jackzel brought up a perfect point . . Most of the people going that will see flyers for big international DJ's aren't going to know who the hell they are, but that in effect is secondary to the main problem with places like Exit . . . The main problem is that it's a Super Club . .plain and simple. And in being a super club, they fall prey to politics and necessity that aren't necessarily present in smaller venues . .

. . Opening up a space that big in a city like this makes you HAVE to charge 10 plus bucks for water and over 20 at times for drinks, not to mention ridiculous door charges . . . Combine the cost of real estate aquisition, remodelling, exorbitant city taxes, greasing the local authorities and finally paying the talent, staff and promoters and you have one heck of a bill to pay off each night you operate . . and that's even before the person or persons who own the place take their cut in profit . . .

. . . As a Super Club , it's more of a business rather than what most clubs are : A final extension of a person's ego . . . Take Peter Gatien for example . . That dude made his money elsewhere, his clubs were the final extenstion of want and decadence (we can debate the morality of it later, just know that it was . . ) . . . When a club comes down to being a business, you're not only looking to make enough money to keep the place going, you're also looking at the bottom line of making profit . . . And in looking for that profit, you SEEK out people like Tony Draper (ick . . ) who WILL bring in retards that will spend ludicrous amounts of money on the venue, therefore raising your bottom line . . .

. . I am all for Exit improving it's image music-wize, however I don't believe it's going to be possible because of the nature of the venue itself . . .

. . just my two cents . . .

- Phuturephunk . . .

Exit...hmmm...maybe if someone else bought it out it would be better organized and no need to feel half the people up at the door if I went to that meeting it would be for the purpose of all clubs (they close one, they'll keep closing them) not for Exit

very well said phuturephunk.

i also think if the head directors and owner of exit were smart they would open up a small venue club lets say it can hold 1500 max. and have all the bid dj's there. cause really there is probally about that many people that love there music and will go to every event. just like twilo had done in the past. then they can charge the crazy prices.

Z

Originally posted by jackzelvrp

...Exit is to damn big for these guys thats why these partys aren't getting packed like they did in the past when they were at smaller venues like twilo.

...and seriously i only heard of like 3 of the past couple DJ's that were at exit. same with my friends, thats why i can't support the party.

...but the way i feel about it is that they need to be at a smaller venue, then the party will be more alive.

Jack Z

ummmm....I guess you weren't there for DJ Tiesto,Judge Jules or Dave Ralph...You are so right, EXiT was soooooooooo EMPTY :blank::rolleyes:

My opinion on the situation:

-Change the NAME of the Club ENTiRELY, not just add a "2" in it...

-Get rid of that retarted enormous DJ Booth/Stage that takes up WAY Too much room on the Dancefloor...DJ's are not "ROCK STARS" when you go to a Club you go to Dance...Just Go to a CONCERT if you want to stand around pump ypur fist in the air and Cheer...

-Let everyone be allowed to enter all the different

rooms...instead of making them VIP...this will result in LESS people in the main room which = more more to dance...let alone be able to walk around without creating OSMOSiS with the people standing next to you...

-no more than a $30 door entrance...

-Make Security RELAX with their "OUT of CONTROL" Searching which is violating people's 4th Amendment...

...That's Just a Few of my suggestions...

i agree with smokesum

exit has not changed that much since draper left

sure the music is better, but the management blows and the crowd/vibe is crappy (case in point: Tiesto in February). putting draper back at exit would help with the nightlife of the city.....all the glam loving fake&bake bitches and bastards will have someplace to go instead of ruining other venues.

plus the dj's i want to hear are not fit for the exit corwd...so why bother trying?

Originally posted by glowgrlnyc

ummmm....I guess you weren't there for DJ Tiesto,Judge Jules or Dave Ralph...You are so right, EXiT was soooooooooo EMPTY :blank::rolleyes:

My opinion on the situation:

-Change the NAME of the Club ENTiRELY, not just add a "2" in it...

-Get rid of that retarted enormous DJ Booth/Stage that takes up WAY Too much room on the Dancefloor...DJ's are not "ROCK STARS" when you go to a Club you go to Dance...Just Go to a CONCERT if you want to stand around pump ypur fist in the air and Cheer...

-Let everyone be allowed to enter all the different

rooms...instead of making them VIP...this will result in LESS people in the main room which = more more to dance...let alone be able to walk around without creating OSMOSiS with the people standing next to you...

-no more than a $30 door entrance...

-Make Security RELAX with their "OUT of CONTROL" Searching which is violating people's 4th Amendment...

...That's Just a Few of my suggestions...

no i wasn't there reason being i knew it would be to packed with tiesto and jules. reason they were so packed cause the promotion teams had a month to promote the event and get the word out about who these guys are with word or mouth. but when the bring these big dj's week in and week out. then people get less interested and only go like once a month. so maybe they should bring these big names in once a month. might help

Z

Listen, I think almost all of you missed my point here. The vote has nothing to do with liking Exit, nothing to do with whether or not you go there.... this has to do with the quality of DJ's that are showing up in your city. Yes, Centro has some, and yes, other venues have some, but what city do you know of where one club has a monopoly on the good dj's? That's what I thought. The point here is that New York has lost a few parties that were meant for bigger talent, and this is an attempt to replace that, even if only temporarily.

I am asking you to put your problems with Exit aside (btw, the promoters on that party are working on several issues like GlowGrl's suggestions.. security is #1 issue at the moment), forget that it is exit, and remember it is the SCENE we're discussing here. Honestly, I could give a rat's ass if the venue in question were Exit, my mom's house or the verrazano bridge - the point is, the DJ's are there, the proactive attempt to improve the scene is there, so COULD WE DROP THE WHINY, SUPERFICIAL, SELFISH BULLSHIT FOR FIVE MINUTES AND LOOK PAST OURSELVES TO SOMETHING BIGGER THAT MAY BENEFIT US ALL IN THE LONG RUN???? Or are we gonna sit there with our thumbs up our asses and ask, two months from now, "hey, is Ferry corsten spinning anytime soon? no? Why not?"

Oh and for those of you who are scared about Draper fans - there is a receptical for them now, it's called World, the other is called Heaven and Hell. Can we leave them THERE maybe??

I respect what Exit is trying to do, hopefully they can fix all that they have fucked up in the past.

Glowgrl - You hit alomst every major flaw with that place

Vixxen - If Exit is forced to bring a resident back, why does it HAVE to be Draper? :confused:

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Listen, I think almost all of you missed my point here. The vote has nothing to do with liking Exit, nothing to do with whether or not you go there.... this has to do with the quality of DJ's that are showing up in your city. Yes, Centro has some, and yes, other venues have some, but what city do you know of where one club has a monopoly on the good dj's? That's what I thought. The point here is that New York has lost a few parties that were meant for bigger talent, and this is an attempt to replace that, even if only temporarily.

I am asking you to put your problems with Exit aside (btw, the promoters on that party are working on several issues like GlowGrl's suggestions.. security is #1 issue at the moment), forget that it is exit, and remember it is the SCENE we're discussing here. Honestly, I could give a rat's ass if the venue in question were Exit, my mom's house or the verrazano bridge - the point is, the DJ's are there, the proactive attempt to improve the scene is there, so COULD WE DROP THE WHINY, SUPERFICIAL, SELFISH BULLSHIT FOR FIVE MINUTES AND LOOK PAST OURSELVES TO SOMETHING BIGGER THAT MAY BENEFIT US ALL IN THE LONG RUN???? Or are we gonna sit there with our thumbs up our asses and ask, two months from now, "hey, is Ferry corsten spinning anytime soon? no? Why not?"

I agree with the fact that Exit as a club/venue including their management stinks, the point in the matter is the music and solidifying, reinstating and preserving the underground scene, yes there are venues such as Vinyl that keep it alive but should we as clubbers just sit comfortably on one venue alone?? I get tired of hearing the complaints of theres not enough international djs, theres no more Twilo well yet I hear well "Exit is not going to change and thats that? Now that there are some good lineups, I still hear complaining !, Now that they might stop bringing in some great talents, as heard through the grapevine (PVD might be spinning at this venue in the near future) and someone has asked for support in the scene and has resulted in nonetheless scrutiny and biasness. Maybe if we start putting our foot down and casting votes for what we want and standfast maybe just maybe the management at Exit will realize their faults and help change the scene instead of being all about the $$$$$!! They will see that there are fans of the talent they are bringing in and know that they can still make their dollar bill.

And for those of you that are Danny fans, didnt he say himself something to the effect its all about the music?

I went to Tiesto and yes the club was disgusting and I didnt really have a good time with having to tune all of my environment out and listen to the music. The problem was Exit management for things being out of control , complain to them but dont try to ban the talent thats coming into NY even if it is held at Exit. The loss of Twilo has left many of resident talents without a home in NYC and theres only a few venues left for them to play at, Exit happens to be one of them. What else can you really do but grin and bear until something better comes along venue-wise.

My two cents

CD

Exit management is trying to make a change; I think that everyone should try to support it. The fact that the effort is there and there is some sort of vote going on shows that the MGT is making an effort to change. People keep complaining about the Tiesto night when it was ridiculously packed, change doesn't come easy. The fact that NY doesn't have a large venue to house any big name DJ's is ludicrous!!! I don't see how any of us can judge if we haven't been there (I've only been for the two tiesto nights) or have only been there for one night. If the club makes an effort to change and brings in the talent, we should try to make the difference and support the club. I think Exit needs to change some of its policies, but there is an attempt to make a change and we should support the change.