Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TWILO's LEGAL WOE's

Today on the NYPost site...

DISCO DELAY COST OD BOY'S LIFE, SAYS MOM

By DAREH GREGORIAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 9, 2002 -- James Wiest died from an "ecstasy" overdose at Twilo - but he might have lived if the now-defunct nightclub hadn't waited three hours to call an ambulance, his mother charges in a $120 million lawsuit.

The suit, filed yesterday in Manhattan Supreme Court, says the delay wasn't a mistake - it was "motivated by malicious intent."

The Manhattan club knew the city was investigating drug use and sales there, and ordered staffers not to call 911 if anyone OD'd. Instead, they were told to hide them in a secret room called the "safe area" until they came to, the suit says.

The court papers charge they kept up the practice even after Wiest's death, and cite an October 2000 incident where police found three unconscious people hidden in the room after being told by club security there was no one there who needed help.

The club's lawyer, Peter Sullivan, said, "Those allegations are not true."

Wiest, 21, was a biomedical engineering major at Johns Hopkins University who went to the West 27th Street club with some friends for a "rave" on July 23, 2000. He bought a tab of ecstasy while inside, and passed out on the dance floor at about 4 a.m., the suit says.

"Security personnel removed [Wiest] . . . and secreted him in a hidden area of the club, where he lay there for hours, without proper medical assistance," the lawsuit claims.

The club finally called 911 at 6:53 a.m., "after Mr. Wiest started coughing certain bodily contents," the suit says. He was pronounced dead a short time later at St. Vincents Hospital.

Twilo was shuttered last year, due in part to the Wiest incident. The suit seeks money and punitive damages from the club's former owners and security personnel.

That, and just to be technical, he probably died of dehydration, not an E overdose, and if he died from it I think it's a pretty safe bet that he took more than one pill...

In any case, a lot of the clubs in the area do/did this, and it's a serious problem and not something to scoff at. The more attention this gets, the more responsible other clubs may act in the future, but unfortunately, it's more likely that they'll just throw people in bad physical shape out of the club so they don't have the problem on their own hands...

I think I saw this....very disturbing. I have never seen anyone look so bad. I was dancing next to one of the boxes by the back bar, and this big dude was on top of one. Suddenly there is a crash- he's down. When he fell over, he was already fuckin green. Three bouncers picked him up, and carried him off the floor, but I could swear they took him outside. My perception was not perfect at the time though, so I could be wrong. After I heard about the death, I was totally freaked out cause I KNEW that it was that guy - the minute I saw his face, I knew something was very wrong.

he prob took some bad shit or had a bad reaction to the chemicals. either way, that is a parents nightmare, fucking security ordered to lock people in closets. I loved that place, but damn, risking their patrons lives in order to save their asses wasn't a good idea and I hope who ever made that decision frys in hell. This was at PVD right?

Originally posted by jamesvincent

he prob took some bad shit or had a bad reaction to the chemicals. either way, that is a parents nightmare, fucking security ordered to lock people in closets. I loved that place, but damn, risking their patrons lives in order to save their asses wasn't a good idea and I hope who ever made that decision frys in hell. This was at PVD right?

Yup, PVD. I didn't see anyone around who seemed to know him. But truth is, you loose friends during the night, just happens. They go to the bathroom, come back and he's gone....talk about a friend's nightmare.

Originally posted by saigray

Yup, PVD. I didn't see anyone around who seemed to know him. But truth is, you loose friends during the night, just happens. They go to the bathroom, come back and he's gone....talk about a friend's nightmare.

True that, everyone dissapears when your at Twilo, you are having such a good time that you dont even realize it. Or you might just think they got thrown out and you dont want to leave. I hope some goes to Jail for this and the city needs to realize that they are also at fault because they would not condone the ambulance services:(

That's a really good point JV> as long as the drug war doesn't allow for safety precautions and responsible reactions, particularly in this case by persecuting twilo when they do call ambulances, the government is equally at fault.

In the UK, when ppl started dying from E, they looked, realized it was dehydration and made a law that all dance parties must provide free water....end of DEATHS!! in the US, we decide to make it impossible to call an ambulance without getting in trouble....rise in DEATHS.

i think both parties are at fault. the kid for doign drugs and the club for doing what they did. i thought twilo security was the worst in any club u have been to. they should be sued and i hope the mother gets all the money she wants. how can a human being just let a person sit in front of them and die just because they didn't want to get in trouble.

Originally posted by j303j

i think both parties are at fault. the kid for doign drugs and the club for doing what they did. i thought twilo security was the worst in any club u have been to. they should be sued and i hope the mother gets all the money she wants. how can a human being just let a person sit in front of them and die just because they didn't want to get in trouble.

Exactly, hey but I have seen even worse security at the Tunnel. I spun there once or twice with Ivan and Nero. That place was crazy, security used to beat people on the reg. Once this guy knocked a lamp over in the "Fuzzy" room and security came up and was like. "you broke my lamp" you got to pay for it or we are going to fuck you up. The guy gave them a hundred dollars and they beat him up. Security in these places came be the dirtyest bastards on the planet. But from the looks of things now, it seems like the club industry has cleaned their acts up in some respects.:hat:

My friend left a poland spring bottle in his car filled with straight GHB and I unfortunately drank 1/3 of the bottle before going into Vinyl one night. As you can imagine about 15 mins later I was on fuckin cloud nine 1/2... Woke up 12 hours later at Downtown NYU hospital with all kinds of shit hanging out of my arms.. Don't remember a fuckin thing. My friends told me that security dragged me into some shady back area, poured like 3 cans of soda down my throat and than dragged me out to the saidewalk where they wouldn't let anyone call an ambulance. Shit is fucked.. They threw me into a cab to the hospital. And by the way I know some may read this and say what a herb, he couldn't handle his shit, he deserved it... It sound, fucked up but I've done my share of "recreational activities" for years... It was a straight up accident that shouldn't have happened... Fuckin club is fucked up. What are you gonna do. I'd still go back though. Place is dope, probably the only spot I really like to chill...

Originally posted by saigray

That's a really good point JV> as long as the drug war doesn't allow for safety precautions and responsible reactions, particularly in this case by persecuting twilo when they do call ambulances, the government is equally at fault.

In the UK, when ppl started dying from E, they looked, realized it was dehydration and made a law that all dance parties must provide free water....end of DEATHS!! in the US, we decide to make it impossible to call an ambulance without getting in trouble....rise in DEATHS.

. . . once again, you're using logic and reason to combat the root cause of a problem . . . . Now you know the city doesn't allow that kind of stuff . . . tsk tsk . . . ;) . . .

Originally posted by j303j

Muthafuckin ditto.

siceone: a mother lost her one and only son who could have been saved if the clowns at Twilo acted professionally and sought medical attention for the guy...its wayyyyyyyy past the fact of him doing the drug or drugs...its the principal that he coulda lived had they not harbored him so that when he 'came to' but rather get him to the hospital..not...call a fuckin ambulance when u see the guy foaming at the mouth and spitting up shit and near deaths door.

Quoth, u r absolutely right...but also know that there were numerous reports of police intersecting the club's calls to ambulances and holding up ambulances until kids (friends I assume) reported about how the drugs were bought, how the club was implicated, etc before allowing the od to be taken to a hospital....hence the use of "private" ambulance services and holding rooms.

I suspect a jury of (probably) non-clubgoers will not be sympathetic to the idea of stuffing people in closets while they foam at the mouth and all the other shit that used to go on at that place. And I'm sure they can find MANY witnesses to attest to these incidents.

Unfortunately I don't think the parents will recover anywhere even close to what they are asking for. I'm sure the club's former owners have nowhere near that money, and the person was partially at fault as well for consuming drugs to begin with, which will reduce any judgment the parents get.