Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Police Officers:

Originally posted by dgmodel

Why Do you think most ppl become police officers??? and do you think there are more corrupt ones or more honest ones out of the entire NYC Police Dept. What are you thoughts???

Well my ex was a cop and my friend is becoming one and they told me they want to help people, get a full adrenaline rush at the same time. They said that there is no other job like it. I believe that there are good cops out there, even in NYC, that actually do the job for an honorable reason.

people usually become cops because its in their families..its like the family proffession. as for the others..i think its cause their not smart enough to make it any other profession and u dont have to be a genius to be a cop..so i duno..thats what i think

Here's one personal example that i think will answer your quandry, dg...

My mom is in real estate, and she knows this guy (ex cop) who's 44, retired , and just sold his $295,000 home to buy a $500,000 open bayfront here in my hometown.

Now this dude worked for 5.0 for 20 years, is able to retire at the age of 44, and has enough money to by a home that goes for 1/2 million dollars!

Now tell me that isn't alluring?/?

My father is a cop. But he became a cop in the 1970's when there were strict standards even a height requirement. Nowadays they take in a bunch of assholes that got the shit kicked out of them in high school and are now on a power trip getting revenge. My father actually took this job to help people hes a very good person and has saved peoples lives, all the other negative stuff comes with the job and someones got to do it.

That is what alot of them say. You can go in at 21. Retire at 41. Get another Job while keeping your pention and you are living on easy street. Some people take the job because it fits there cocky personality and they just enjoy being a dick. I am sure you have all ran into a few of them. And then there are the cops that become cops for the right reason. But in my eyes a NYC police officer isn't paid enough for the shit they have to put up with. I mean come on a criminal has more rights than they do. The law is on the criminals defence and the NYPD has to deal with that. I work for Con Edison and the lowest Union Position at top salary makes only about $2,000 less then a cop at there high salary as a regular P.O. So what would you do. And you don't need an education to get into an entry level postion in a Utility. And if I were gonna go for the 20 and out I would rather work for the F.D.N.Y... I would retire alot more proud. I have nothing against cops... Have plenty of family and friends that are cops... But in my opinion the F.D.N.Y would be the way to go.

As far as curruptions... Well there are currupt people everywhere... I mean shit the whole governement is currupt. And in the N.Y.P.D defense wouldnt you be currupt if the scum on the street has more rights than you do???

Peace...

hey chek it out..i based my post on what ive seen around me. i know a lot of kids who are going to be cops for the simple fact that they cant cut it in school. shit..id much rather say (and i will pretty soon) I am a CPA instead of IM A BEAT COP...same shit goes with the army..u go to the army cause ur either a gung-ho american , stupid and cant cut it in school , or a combination of both. I dont know too many people who choose " SURE SHOOT @ ME AND PAY ME 300000gz a YR.." over "SURE LET ME AUDIT A CORP. FOR 70000gz a YR"

you need 60 college credits to become a cop and in most other states you need a 4 year degree. It was a hell of a lot easier to become a cop 10-20 years ago then it is now. They go through shit loads of pysch tests and physicals. The same with the fire Department. you need 30 college credits, you need to be CFR-D certified (one step below an EMT), go through medical & pysch tests, and then the hardest physical in the country. The FDNY physical is no joke. People have died trying to do it. It was seriously the hardest thing that I have done.

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

hey chek it out..i based my post on what ive seen around me. i know a lot of kids who are going to be cops for the simple fact that they cant cut it in school. shit..id much rather say (and i will pretty soon) I am a CPA instead of IM A BEAT COP...same shit goes with the army..u go to the army cause ur either a gung-ho american , stupid and cant cut it in school , or a combination of both. I dont know too many people who choose " SURE SHOOT @ ME AND PAY ME 300000gz a YR.." over "SURE LET ME AUDIT A CORP. FOR 70000gz a YR"

At first I was gonna lay into you, but decided not to (thus the edited post). BUT, I do wanna say:

To call people in the military "stupid" especially when they're overseas right now, defending your stupid ass, is just plain classless. :blown:

Originally posted by elementx

That is what alot of them say. You can go in at 21. Retire at 41.

But in my eyes a NYC police officer isn't paid enough for the shit they have to put up with.

But in my opinion the F.D.N.Y would be the way to go.

As far as curruptions... Well there are currupt people everywhere... I mean shit the whole governement is currupt. And in the N.Y.P.D defense wouldnt you be currupt if the scum on the street has more rights than you do???

You bring up some good points man.

My dad was a cop in harlem for 20 years, he just retired about two months ago.

The job is stressful, among other ailments, he has had two heart attacks in the past year. This forced him to retire.

So while you are in and out in 20 years, the job takes a toll on your body. If it wasn't for overtime pay, NYC police officers wouldn't make anything near what they deserve.

I live upstate, these upstate troopers get paid a hell of a lot more then the NYPD does and it seems like the only thing they do is hand out tickets for speeding, loud exhausts, and dark tints.

As far as corruption, its everywhere.

I agree with your statements on going with the FDNY. I would give my reasons but would probably get my head bitten off by people who don't really know much about the topic.

Originally posted by bionic

At first I was gonna lay into you, but decided not to (thus the edited post). BUT, I do wanna say:

To call people in the military "stupid" especially when they're overseas right now, defending your stupid ass, is just plain classless. :blown:

ok...people go to the military because their prodigies and they wana waste the rest of their lives having bad haircuts and wearing GREEN....

look ..dont get into the military talk with me..im very opinionated when it comes to these types of institutions and im like that for very good reasons..id just offend a whole shitload of people who chose not to open their eyes

ps-30.000gz ...i was on the phone while typing it

ok...people go to the military because their prodigies and they wana waste the rest of their lives having bad haircuts and wearing GREEN....

look ..dont get into the military talk with me..im very opinionated when it comes to these types of institutions and im like that for very good reasons..id just offend a whole shitload of people who chose not to open their eyes

Why do you hate the police and millitary so much? :confused:

Not true cause my brother is in the army and is also a criminal justice major in school. Just cause people choose certain ways of life doens't mean they can't cut it in school and are stupid as you put it. Life isn't about money for some people,its about integrity:D

Originally posted by unclebuc

you need 60 college credits to become a cop and in most other states you need a 4 year degree. It was a hell of a lot easier to become a cop 10-20 years ago then it is now. They go through shit loads of pysch tests and physicals. The same with the fire Department. you need 30 college credits, you need to be CFR-D certified (one step below an EMT), go through medical & pysch tests, and then the hardest physical in the country. The FDNY physical is no joke. People have died trying to do it. It was seriously the hardest thing that I have done.

10-20 years ago it was harder. you still needed 60 college credits but you had to be even a certain height and weight. Now you can be anything and have a 2 year degree and you can become a cop.

Originally posted by girly

Not true cause my brother is in the army and is also a criminal justice major in school. Just cause people choose certain ways of life doens't mean they can't cut it in school and are stupid as you put it. Life isn't about money for some people,its about integrity:D

Amen girly...money ISN'T everything!

I think most of these guys become cops because of job security. Also many of them come from house holds where one or both parents are civil service workers , eventually it becomes a family sort of thing . Mom works in city hall , Dad is in the DPW and so on. However I have come across a few cops recently through mutual friends and have made a bizzare observation . They seem to be pissed off all the time. Which brings me to this question . Why is there a high rate of suicide among law enforcement?

People do go into the military to receive an education and/or get money for college a.k.a the G.I. Bill and also come out of it with a possible career because sometimes thats the only way they can.

I don't disagree that sometimes, people do go into it to straighten themselves out and learn discipline. Nothing wrong with that.

No reason to badmouth them. And as someone mentioned, there is also integrity....

As far as cops go, my friend got great grades in college, graduated with a bachelors in criminal justice, intership w/the U.S. Marshall, and he's a cop and loves it. It's not as easy to become a cop as you might think. And there are plenty of benefits, some of which were mentioned already.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's not fair to generalize though. And again, to badmouth anybody that volunatrily puts their life on the line to ensure the well being of our country while I and apparantly someday you are sitting on our asses in front of a computer is just not right (to put it mildly)

They will be making less in Florida if they don't keep the chunk at a minimum.....

Overweight Cops to Lose Bonus Pay

April 16, 2002 09:18 AM ET

MIAMI (Reuters) - Tubby troopers in the Florida Highway Patrol will have no trouble with weighty wallets.

An officer who tips the scales more than 15 pounds (6.8 kg) above recommended weight will be ineligible for the state's annual new $500 performance bonus, the force said.

To Sgt. Jim Rhyne, the 6-foot-4-inch (1.93-meter) FHP union chief who weighs in at 270 pounds (123 kg), a performance bonus based on weight is bad policy.

"I'm not advocating obesity. Our issue is, is job performance affected to the point that they shouldn't be eligible for the bonus?" said Rhyne, a leader of the International Union of Police Associations Florida chapter.

To the FHP, it is a safety issue rather than a weight issue, department spokesman Capt. David Tripp said.

"When you've got to jump out of a patrol car and chase the bad guy and handle the stress ... to do that you're going to have to get healthy and stay healthy," he said.

I know quite a few people who became cops because they were very intimidated by the job market (of the field they originally planned to go into), or very hesitant to work hard in order to fulfill their original career goal. I also know one individual who was about to graduate; he planned to go to law school, but his mind changed as he approached the end of college. He had taken the test for the hell of it a while ago, and when he got the results a while later he decided to pursue it because at the time he wasn't doing anything with his life. He felt the drastic change was what he needed. There are alot of intelligent people who join the force; some join for the right reasons, some for the wrong. Many of the college students that I know who joined the force were unable to cut it in the field they originally planned to go into. Some wanted a secure job with a steady paycheck. My friend took the test just to have the option of joining if he couldn't figure out what he wanted to do after he graduated college. Another opportunity presented itself, however, and he decided not to join. He's glad that he didn't join, however. He has the option of doing something better, and he isn't going to settle for less just because the job security of a police officer is good.

One has to really like that type of shit to get into that type of job. Many of the cops I know who joined regret joining. The pay is fucked, and the time they spend sealing off streets, writing out tickets, riding the subways at 4 am, doing nothing, and doing extra security guard work for extra money seems shitty to them.

At higher levels there are more options, but a basic police officer's job sucks.