Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC Club scene is TIRED

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know whether or not the whole "raver" scene has died out or is dying out but believe it or not thats not the only type of "scene" out there. But some of you people are acting as if its the only type of nightlife. My friends and I like places such as Pangaea,serafina,abaya,sway,suite 16 and alot of ohotel bars. This scene is definitely not tired. In fact its as good as it ever was. Believe it or not some people actually like to go out just to relax and have a couple drinks....maybe meet some new people. In some peoples minds music is definitely not THE most important thing nor is what DJ is spinning that night.

Originally posted by liverlips

I dont know whether or not the whole "raver" scene has died out or is dying out but believe it or not thats not the only type of "scene" out there. But some of you people are acting as if its the only type of nightlife. My friends and I like places such as Pangaea,serafina,abaya,sway,suite 16 and alot of ohotel bars. This scene is definitely not tired. In fact its as good as it ever was. Believe it or not some people actually like to go out just to relax and have a couple drinks....maybe meet some new people. In some peoples minds music is definitely not THE most important thing nor is what DJ is spinning that night.

I would go to today's Vinyl anyday over Pangea or Lotus or whatever other places you relate to. I'm not mocking you, but those places are FILLED with Upper East Side goldiggers! Those places are PHONY. I am a music lover so those places wouldn't do me any good.

Originally posted by go411

THEY SUCK.... MAINLY BECAUSE THE CATCHED ON TOO LATE AND THEY ARE PROGRAMMED WITH THE ALREADY COMERCIALIZED SCENE.... THEIR MUSIX SOUNDS THE SAME , THEY ARE INFLUENCE BY WHAT'S GOING ON NOW WHICH IS REALLY BAD .... AND REPETATIVE..... THAT'S MY OPINION !!!!,,, BUT HEY TO EACH IS OWN ... I HAVE MY SPOTS TO GO TO WHERE THERE'S NONE OF THAT CHEEZINESS .... AND I'M GLAD I FOUND THOSE SPOTS IN THIS HIGHLY OVER RATED.... NYC POP CLUB CULTURE...

IN RESPONSE TO TASTYT'S COMMENT

Actually, many (if not most) of the older djs have been doing it much longer than either of us have been in the scene... Just maybe not the ones you saw in that article... fuck, Junior is in his fifties...

Originally posted by johnnyutah74

Sorry. Didn't realize you were looking for the 13 - 19 y.o., sexually adorgenous, happy, P.L.U.R. bullshit scene. You are correct then. You must hate NYC. When you turn 21 though and can maybe somehow wade through your candy necklaces and angels wings enough to clean yourself up, maybe NYC will be better for you. Until then, yeah you better get searching for the ever so diverse and stimulating environment that shady promoters and directions off of the cryptic flyers found at the out of the way record shop provide.

I have no idea how you inferred this from his posts, but if you ever meet this boy you would laugh at how far from the truth this is... really, like rolling in the aisles laughter...

In some peoples minds music is definitely not THE most important thing nor is what DJ is spinning that night.

Wow... you just summed up exactly WHY ny nightlife sux right now...

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

Exactly. When my generation was into raving the average age was 16-25, but that was in California. Ravers today aren't ravers to me. We used to do LSD and shrooms. We didn't suck on pacifiers. It wasn't cheesy back then. Now, looking around at the big UFO pink pants and camouflage...it's just not what it was. I remember seeing lovely girls waiting on line for Randall's Island and they were hippies! They weren't even "ravers". I honestly think it must be my age.

I feel ya on this one. i am from Cal, and back then thats what we did(acid and shrooms), and we went to raves. Like the ones out in a field or in secret locations. I miss those days. It sure will never be the same.

Originally posted by kaligirl

I feel ya on this one. i am from Cal, and back then thats what we did(acid and shrooms), and we went to raves. Like the ones out in a field or in secret locations. I miss those days. It sure will never be the same.

Yeah, then ecstacy came into the picture and that's when all the raver massages started occuring...

I truly miss those days.

Originally posted by tastyt

That's definitely NOT true....it wasn't until these past few yrs. that people become obsessed with the MUSIC and more so the DJ rather than the "party". Back in the day it was more about the party atmosphere rather than "who's spinning where" or what have you.

Originally posted by cesarleo

That's definitely NOT true....it wasn't until these past few yrs. that people become obsessed with the MUSIC and more so the DJ rather than the "party". Back in the day it was more about the party atmosphere rather than "who's spinning where" or what have you.

Then explain the days of Junior at the Sound Factory. The party was great, but he made it great!

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

Then explain the days of Junior at the Sound Factory. The party was great, but he made it great!

Sure he made it great....but your missing the point. They went to that party b/c the "party" was great...nobody even knew much about Junior till yrs later. Same with any other club....why do you think parties like the Paradise Garage was legendary......b/c of the people and atmosphere. Sure Larry Levan played a big role....but it wasn't all about the DJ.

Originally posted by johnnyutah74

Sorry. Didn't realize you were looking for the 13 - 19 y.o., sexually adorgenous, happy, P.L.U.R. bullshit scene. You are correct then. You must hate NYC. When you turn 21 though and can maybe somehow wade through your candy necklaces and angels wings enough to clean yourself up, maybe NYC will be better for you. Until then, yeah you better get searching for the ever so diverse and stimulating environment that shady promoters and directions off of the cryptic flyers found at the out of the way record shop provide.

y'know. I started off nice with you, but this post is so insanely ignorant, it doesn't even justify a rebuke. Let me get some shit straight with you right now.

I"m 22 going on 23. I'm a house head and not some tribal/trancey/proggy househead. I'm a CLASSIC househead, a'la Todd Terry, Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan.

If you dont know those names, please get the fuck off my board.

Just for my curiosity, since you asserted that i hate NYC and i'm part of the "PLUR bullshit scene", oh and that i need to "clean myself up", what do you have in mind for places for me to go? How should I dress?

Should I go to Exit?:laugh: Roxy?:laugh: Webster Hall? China Club? World?:laugh::laugh: :rolleyes:

Please child. I think your daddy wants the phone back. Sign off before you get a spanking.

oh and by the way. Did you know out of the way record shops usually have some of the best music? You probably wouldn't.

I bet you do pushups in the bathrooms at clubs.

C'mon don't lie ;) out with it.

Originally posted by tastyt

I think YOU just summed up why YOUR nightlife sucks right now. Because you think its all about music and some retard spinning a damn record. You dont know how to have a good time and just relax. All youre looking to do is to pop your e pills and dance around with your freakin glowsticks like some monkey. Ill repeat this again....NIGHTLIFE IS ALOT MORE THAN MUSIC AND A DJ. You go to a warehouse and dance until 11 am because you feel the music "owns" you....what bullshit. Nightlife in the city is great at places that are actually worth going to. Heres a thought: stay home,turn out the lights,pop in a cd,get out the fruity glowsticks and dance until 11 am....its the same shit.

This reminds me. Doesn't this somehow justify my assertion of how NYC is one of the only cities where Everyone hates both crowds and genres other than their own?

Can i truly say that this kind of division is what's ripping this city apart?

thought so. Ok i'm done.

I think YOU just summed up why YOUR nightlife sucks right now. Because you think its all about music and some retard spinning a damn record. You dont know how to have a good time and just relax. All youre looking to do is to pop your e pills and dance around with your freakin glowsticks like some monkey. Ill repeat this again....NIGHTLIFE IS ALOT MORE THAN MUSIC AND A DJ. You go to a warehouse and dance until 11 am because you feel the music "owns" you....what bullshit. Nightlife in the city is great at places that are actually worth going to. Heres a thought: stay home,turn out the lights,pop in a cd,get out the fruity glowsticks and dance until 11 am....its the same shit.

wow. there are two new ignorant guidos on the board today. I think that's a new record!

*sigh*... for the purists in the room, Nightlife is ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC AND THE DJ.

It's about something that the TRIANGLE creates - THe DJ, the Music and Me... creates VIBE. Nightlife is about VIBE, to me.

Opinions may differ and that's fine. But geez it's rather ridiculous to put someone else down just because they don't live in your shadow and agree with everything you do.

I mean c'mon. So what if dancing till 11am isn't your idea of a fun time. If the music doesn't control you that's fine.

Don't get down on someone else just because they like it. That is pure ignorance.

Liverlips......go to upper east/west side bars and gawk at girls all day, its where you belong. Stay the fuck out of this scene because it is the attitude you convey that absolutely ruins it.

Some retard spinning a record, huh?

And some people wonder why it is the way it is...........example #1 shown right here. I could get into the rest of my reasons, but I'd rather waste my time being some retard spinning records and having the music "own" me.......

Tearing this city apart???? Dude, the fact that I dont like to rave or disagree with some peoples outlook on nightlife doesnt cause any division. Its merely an opinion and im entitled to it. Another tool...

did you just use "rave" as a verb?

PhuturePhunk... where are you when we need you man.

Originally posted by cintron

did you just use "rave" as a verb?

PhuturePhunk... where are you when we need you man.

rave Pronunciation Key (rv)

v. raved, rav·ing, raves

v. intr.

To speak wildly, irrationally, or incoherently.

To roar; rage: The storm raved along the coast.

To speak or write with wild enthusiasm: Critics raved about the new play.

v. tr.

To utter or express in a frenzied manner.

n.

The act or an instance of raving.

Informal. An extravagantly enthusiastic opinion or review: The play received raves.

An all-night dance party, especially one where techno, house, or other electronically synthesized music is played.

Chiefly British. A raucous party; a rave-up.

adj. Informal

Relating to or being an extravagantly enthusiastic opinion or review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English raven, from Old North French raver, variant of resver, to dream, wander, rave.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

raver n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Maybe he did mean "To speak wildly, irrationally, or incoherently." afterall:confused:

You wish I was some moronic guido but thats just not the case. You label me as ignorant then so be it. Heres the sad thing: when youre forty and still pumping my gas youll still be going to vinyl because you think that music is what "its all about" Now shut your mouth and go play with your glowsticks youre wasting my time

You wish I was some moronic guido but thats just not the case. You label me as ignorant then so be it. Heres the sad thing: when youre forty and still pumping my gas youll still be going to vinyl because you think that music is what "its all about" Now shut your mouth and go play with your glowsticks youre wasting my time

haha i'm 23 and right now sadly enough i'm not psyched enough to go to vinyl because it the music ain't cutting it over the vibe :(

as for glowsticks i dont have any, but i have this nice big KaBar and some facepaint i can play with. You obviously didn't see me at lawler did you :) LOL. glowsticks. don't make me teach you how to wipe yourself again.

You're right, I'd rather waste my life 80 hours a week on the phone on Wall Street hanging out with fake people to support my dime-a-day coke habbit.

to me its all about the music i dun care what ppl say particularly ur dumbass "I think YOU just summed up why YOUR nightlife sucks right now. Because you think its all about music and some retard spinning a damn record. You dont know how to have a good time and just relax. All youre looking to do is to pop your e pills and dance around with your freakin glowsticks like some monkey. Ill repeat this again....NIGHTLIFE IS ALOT MORE THAN MUSIC AND A DJ. You go to a warehouse and dance until 11 am because you feel the music "owns" you....what bullshit. Nightlife in the city is great at places that are actually worth going to. Heres a thought: stay home,turn out the lights,pop in a cd,get out the fruity glowsticks and dance until 11 am....its the same shit. " BULLSHIT !!! i do what i feel like doin if i feel like dancin 11 straight hours who are u to knock on me for that ? if i feel like usin glowstix who fuck cares ya need to get a life an leave ppl that arent as "sophisticated" as u nor as "experienced as u when it comes to the scene any1 that knows me on the board knows that if im at a club or where ever i get down till the last record is done u .... just fuck off an go somewhere else:blown: