Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Would you pay for this? PLEASE READ

Ok, I've read many posts about people that live in apartments that are frustrated because they can't turn up the volume. Learning and practicing to spin using headphones is a drag. I know, I live in an apartment. I want sooooo bad to have 2 Killer monitors and one huge ass subwoofer, so I can FEEL the music, not just HEAR it. I live in Roslyn, LI and I go to Satellite Records every weekend to pick up new vinyl. And, I get home, and I'm pissed because I can't crank up my speakers. MY SOLUTION:

I am very close to leasing space, and creating 10 rooms - all soundproofed, that hold Turntables, mixers, CD players, speakers, subs and room for 15-20 people each. Open 24 hours, you can rent the room by the hour (just like a recording studio). I'll stock the latest Vinyl and CD, with listening stations. Perhaps even a "chill out room" to hang with new friends.

I have the money to do this, I think I found the space...would you use this facility?

Room Rental: $10-20 per hour (depending on equipment in each room)

Main Room - $25 Per hour (fits 30 people)

Broadcasting via DSL - $30 per hour

Mix CD recording - $15 per hour

Sound Room - $30 per hour ($50 with engineer)

Additional Info:

Will be sponsored by main brand (Pioneer? Vestax? Rane?)

Equipment sales

Food/beverage on site

DJ workshops

Seminars

CD Duplication for DJ's

I will keep you all updated.

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

Why are those turntables not Technics?

Actually, those are the (relatively) new Vestax decks, if I'm not mistaken. The torque is actually supposed to be HIGHER than that of 1210's. And it has a tempo/tone shift (forgot what it's called) feature, which essentially speeds up and slows down the record without the chage in tone/tempo that you get with a pitchshift (can you tell I don't know my DJ tech terminology?)

I saw a couple in Tenaglia's studio (pics from an interview).

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

Why are those turntables not Technics?

Actually, those are the (relatively) new Vestax decks, if I'm not mistaken. The torque is actually supposed to be HIGHER than that of 1210's. And it has a tempo/tone shift (forgot what it's called) feature, which essentially speeds up and slows down the record without the chage in tone that you get with a pitchshift (can you tell I don't know my DJ tech terminology?)

I saw a couple in Tenaglia's studio (pics from an interview).

You are correct. Vestax PDX-2000. Hey, I am far from a pro, but you know what's great? When ALL my friends who have 1200's first use my decks...they all have this grin. The decks are really smooth, they hold the beat, and they do have a tempo and pitch control.

Originally posted by GregoryCFra

You are correct. Vestax PDX-2000. Hey, I am far from a pro, but you know what's great? When ALL my friends who have 1200's first use my decks...they all have this grin. The decks are really smooth, they hold the beat, and they do have a tempo and pitch control.

<== needs a couple :tongue:

Good idea, btw, Greg.

However, may I suggest that instead of charging a flat rate, do an escalating charge based on number of people renting the room (ala poolhalls). This way, you'll have a better turnover in groups, but can also attract more people who wants to rent the room in small groups.

Also, consider charging bulk rates. With the equipment you have, it'll be a great opportunity for people to benefit in terms of practicing and such. If you can charge a low price for bulk rate, you can appeal to beginners who wants to practice but don't have the equipment or that much money.

Anyways, that's just my advice. It's a great business opportunity you got there. PM me if you want to talk.

X -

Thanks. I think the concept is good, but it requires the right type of execution. I run a public company now (NASDAQ:STTN), and I've got the right team to carry out the Business Plan as well as the financing and corporate relations (equipment, vinyl sales, etc).

I appreciate the feedback to all that are posting!! Keep up the great work, as we will all have a new place to spin very soon.

i think that sounds like a great idea. especially for recording a cd because i make tapes all the time but i dont have the money to go out and buy a cd burner that hooks up to my mixer. i would definatly pay for something like that...definatly keep us posted!!! :D

peace out

gianni