Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how was the meetup... and how was the phazon at roxy?

Guest gabo

o yea...btw...the meetup was soooo much fun. wish i could have gotten there earlier. had a great time talkin to dg and apples..they crack me up.

roxy was a blast too. def heard some sick tracks from vicious. and the first performance when rizzo played super get off...thats such a sick song.

wish everyone woulda stayed longer...then i woulda stayed longer too. i think i was the last stage crew member there.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the people who came out friday,the crowd responce was amazing,I listed some of the tracks i played under Roxy fri set,and for your comments hawaiiguestlis don't hide behind these fake names and if you were there during my set i played the most 3 ktu vocal records and dark tribal remixes of those songs!Next time come up to the booth when i'm playing or are you to scared to show your face?

Mike Rizzo

razor0121@aol.com

yeah, like someone said before, I didn't go for the music necessarily. I'd never been to Roxy and heard that Friday was supposed to be a sick night. It totally could have been and should have been a great night. I got there with two friends and was in the best mood until about an hour later they came up to me and were like "yo, this isn't our scene, we're gonna sleep in the car" I couldn't fucking believe that. Anyway, I tried to make the most out of the night by myself...gotta say, the female crowd was extremely attractrive compared to a lot of other clubs in the city. Meathead ratio was high, but I expected that. I was definitly feeling Vicious when he came on (I had never heard him spin before) ...I think that this place is gonna be my new regular place in the city, just got to find some new friends to go with.

OK this is a formal appolgy to Mike Rizzo about my statement before.. I said a statement before and after thinking bout what I said i wanna go on record and appologize for what i said about him.. He was actually really on.. and the only thing that got to me was having to hear the whole KTU commercials on the sound system.. And that just got to me and thats why i blamed the whole KTU shit... Soo just for the record i appologize and hope there are no hard feelins!!!

Mike really did play a good set and give him mad props on his talent.. He had some excellent music selection and def some nice mixing skillz!!

Cant wait to see you again mike.....

and once again sorry for what i stated before...

Benny B.

basically what you heard fri. nite is about as good as that system is ever going to be. They spent all week tuning it and two month down the road aint gonna get it either. Look at shelter theirs never has gotten right. Wonder why? I dont know but it seems that they just aint got the magic anymore. And that system cost $350,000. Wonder how Vinyl is gonna turn out.

Alot of things concerning Phazon and other big shelf items have nothing to do with the sound.

Speakers and the ROOM itself have more to do with how a particular club will sound like.

One has to do alot of physical building sometimes in order to get a space to sound like "its supposed to" and I believe the Phazon or JBL or (insert PA maker here) and the contractors that do the work have to be done in unison with the physical space, otherwise results can be "less than expected" especialy if every promoter in the city slapped it on their mailings and flyers. :-).

I'm sure over time they'll get the room to sound very well.

- Dennis

Originally posted by djdecay

Alot of things concerning Phazon and other big shelf items have nothing to do with the sound.

Speakers and the ROOM itself have more to do with how a particular club will sound like.

One has to do alot of physical building sometimes in order to get a space to sound like "its supposed to" and I believe the Phazon or JBL or (insert PA maker here) and the contractors that do the work have to be done in unison with the physical space, otherwise results can be "less than expected" especialy if every promoter in the city slapped it on their mailings and flyers. :-).

I'm sure over time they'll get the room to sound very well.

- Dennis

lots of good points dennis. however you're missing some critical info which i'd like you to fill you in on.

a lot of people complained that the sound at roxy wasn't "up to par" to phazon standards even though they supposedly installed the system in there....well there's a reason for that.

as you know, steve dash, sound engineer demigod diva extraordinaire, developed phazon. he also developed special pieces of computer software to perform a variety of tasks.

a major task of this software is to equalize the room properly according to your aforementioned factors....room geometry, speaker placement, reverberation coefficients, and crazy geeky shit like that.

however the software has an undocumented feature. as you may know, pieces of music have uniquelly identifiable "fingerprints" which can be generated via spectral analysis. this is done already via phazon's 100% digital system.

the sound is processed and equalized digitally in real time. the spectral analysis is done at this point. now, steve dash, the audiophile illuminary that he is, wanted to make sure that people could only enjoy the best music through this system. so he devised complex algorithms to identify the fingerprint of good music. as a result, when bad music is processed you hear drops in sound and otherwise horrible sound worse than those boom boxes from the 80s.

a special feature is that the software has a mechanism which makes the sound 10x worse whenever it detects any sarina paris or alice deejay running through its system. that's why many people have reported "wierd noises" and otherwise intelligible sounds throughout the night.

however even in general the sound was said to be subpar. that is likely the result of "i trance you" by gypy, "stranger" by lily hayden or anything by johnny vicious which featured judy albaneese on vocals.

hope that clears things up.

0xd

Originally posted by dr0ne

a special feature is that the software has a mechanism which makes the sound 10x worse whenever it detects any sarina paris or alice deejay running through its system. that's why many people have reported "wierd noises" and otherwise intelligible sounds throughout the night.

however even in general the sound was said to be subpar. that is likely the result of "i trance you" by gypy, "stranger" by lily hayden or anything by johnny vicious which featured judy albaneese on vocals.

hope that clears things up.

0xd

Man, I'm still rolling on the floor!

Actually it would be interesting to find out what kind of gear is plugged into the afore mentioned sound system and what media (CD,Vinyl or DAT) was used during the larger duration of the sets.

- Dennis

Originally posted by djdecay

Man, I'm still rolling on the floor!

Actually it would be interesting to find out what kind of gear is plugged into the afore mentioned sound system and what media (CD,Vinyl or DAT) was used during the larger duration of the sets.

- Dennis

gear?

oh! you mean this:

i-1.JPG